Recommended resource for knowing locomotive location allocations?

Stephen NZ

Stephen NZ

I wonder if there is a data source that can tell you want locomotives were allocated where in the past. For modern locomotives it's not a problem because I can find a prototype photo of a locomotive in a location. However for steam locomotives (other than presently preserved ones), finding photos of the right type of locomotive in the right prefecture is tougher - often the photos aren't clear enough to see the number. I'm am trying to model a Hoikkaido location and don't want to chose a number plate for my locomotives that was based in Kyushu or somewhere.

Edited by Stephen NZ
Yavaris Forge

For steam locomotives, there is this nice website which lists a lot of info on (most) Japanese steam locos ever in service:

http://d51498.com/db/

Although I don't know if that site will load for you, I usually use a Japanese VPN to access such sites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Stephen NZ
14 hours ago, Yavaris Forge said:

For steam locomotives, there is this nice website which lists a lot of info on (most) Japanese steam locos ever in service:

http://d51498.com/db/

Although I don't know if that site will load for you, I usually use a Japanese VPN to access such sites.

Yes, I tried and it said that access was forbidden. Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, Stephen NZ said:

You can sign up for a free trial of a VPN. Many of them offer one. Get the information you want and then cancel. 

On 5/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, Stephen NZ said:

I wonder if there is a data source that can tell you want locomotives were allocated where in the past. For modern locomotives it's not a problem because I can find a prototype photo of a locomotive in a location. However for steam locomotives (other than presently preserved ones), finding photos of the right type of locomotive in the right prefecture is tougher - often the photos aren't clear enough to see the number. I'm am trying to model a Hoikkaido location and don't want to chose a number plate for my locomotives that was based in Kyushu or somewhere.

Where in Hokkaido is your location?

Stephen NZ
59 minutes ago, Szdfan said:

Where in Hokkaido is your location?

Niinai on the old closed Karikachi section of Nemuro Line between Ochiai and Shintoku. I'm not obsessive about prototype (I reimagine it never closed, so i can run modern rolling stock too). I just want to try to use numbers of engines that it would not be silly to think may have operated in Central Hokkaido.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stephen NZ said:

Niinai on the old closed Karikachi section of Nemuro Line between Ochiai and Shintoku. I'm not obsessive about prototype (I reimagine it never closed, so i can run modern rolling stock too). I just want to try to use numbers of engines that it would not be silly to think may have operated in Central Hokkaido.

I’ve been interested in the locomotive depot at Minami-Wakkanai, but am still in a very early state of research 

• Like 1
Stephen NZ
On 5/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, Stephen NZ said:

Tried on a different brower and it works now. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much for the guidance!

• Like 1

Further to my question back in May, I have been using D51498.com since then and found it really useful. However, it seems to have been down a lot in the last couple of weeks. Is anyone else having the same problem and, if so, know what's going on?

Interesting, it isn't loading for me.  I've had a few JP sites do that in the past, including the site where the signature trains come from.

Sorry but this site was working well until a month ago and seems to be down still. Does anyone know what is happening with this site? It's a great resource when it is working? Does anyone know the administrator of it to reach out to?