Video Component Salvage

gavino200

I just started using a new scope at work that's disposable. I decided clean and sterilize it thoroughly and take it apart to see if I could use anything inside. Basically it's a waterproof video camera attached to a fiber-optic pipe. I assumed the light sensor was in the body of the instrument, but it seems that it's right there at the end of the pipe with wires connected to the main body of the instrument. As I have an infinite free supply of these things. I thought it would be cool to embed video throughout the layout and have optical sensors that would tell an arduino or Ras Pi when to pick up on the individual video feeds. Obviously I'm thinking toward the future as my knowledge isn't at that level yet. But it it were feasible it would be good to slowly start acquiring materials now.

First, it wasn't easy to open this thing, It's robust and waterproof. It doesn't look like any glue was used to seal it. It snaps together. But if there's a knack to unlocking it, I haven't found it yet. I sawed around the seam, got a couple of screw-drivers in and pried it open.

QwRKh12.jpg

aMPmxpt.jpg

The plug connectors

6vQ3WpU.jpg

fFFF7c8.jpg

This is the bottom of the board. The copper strip has four conductive strands and leads down the optic pipe.

FPrdoBb.jpg

The optic pipe removed with the torn conductive strip. There's a cuff holding a lock of optic fibers together, before they then proceed down the pipe. 

There's a plastic lens at the other end of the pipe.

9eDHcQt.jpg

The top of the board. Two switches - one for video, one for a picture.

The vertically added smaller board contains only a small LED, the light source. The LED sits directly behind the optic fiber cuff. 

eEoQqJC.jpg

Close up of board top (relative to how the instrument is held, in use)

wDGzR2f.jpg

Underside

qZiRhfg.jpg

HGykIc2.jpg

The conductive strip with four conductive strands removed from the optic pipe. It's broken from a connected component at the end. Surely the light sensor. Approx 1mm in size.

RKlrDbw.jpg

The wire inside the cable. 

BJNItgb.jpg

I tried to remove the lens/light sensor from the pipe. I got it out but it flew across the room, a fairly messy and dirty basement. After an cursory effort I gave up and declared it lost. 

At very least I could salvage some optic fiber and 30 gauge wire from these things. But I'll try again on another and disassemble it, hopefully less destruction. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 3