Recreating my favorite city.

chickendrop

chickendrop

In 2017 I moved to Tokyo. At the time, I was completely oblivious to the diorama world and my proximity to the Hobby Center in Shinjuku. I spent the bulk of my time on photography https://www.chickendrop.com/Other/Japan/

Since moving back to the US I find myself longing for the days of riding the Toei Oedo Line, my daily FamilyMart/7-11/Lawson stops for tiny cans of Boss Black "irasshaimase", hanging in Yoyogi park, lunch with friends at Tsukiji, the spotless streets, unforgettable nights of karaoke/drinking, sumo, and wandering Shibamata, Itabashi, and Yanaka Ginza.

After going through photos from my time there, I decided to start building a diorama of the city, and that's when I found TomyTec and KATO. Now I'm completely hooked! The details on these tiny model kits are outstanding! Although the buildings and layouts are all fictional, I feel like I've traveled back in time and it has left me feeling incredibly nostalgic. I'm going to continue expanding my mini world until I get back there. Natsukashii

PXL_20210511_225515829.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome chickendrop! Glad you found us, will be fun to watch your diorama progress. Careful hanging out around the forum may launch you down the slippery slope of model trains for those Japanese train trip memories! 

also check Outland  models as well, some interesting variety. But they usually need some paint, windows and interior details but can add variety.

https://outlandmodels.com/collections/building-structures

also checkout greenmax buildings

cheers,

jeff

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
roadstar_na6

Jeff, what are you doing?!

First you're all...

31 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Careful hanging out around the forum may launch you down the slippery slope of model trains for those Japanese train trip memories! 

... but then you're like...

check Outland models as well

check out greenmax buildings

I don't think, this is a good idea to prevent somebody from falling down any rabbit hole 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I gave him fair warning it’s the whole mission of the forum to shove folks down that slippery rabbit hole!

jeff

• Haha 2

Amazing photos of Japan. I also really enjoyed your Ireland gallery. Trinity front gate, the Campanile, and Grafton Street are captured beautifully! 

• Like 1
chickendrop
On 5/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, bill937ca said:

Looks like 1/150 Tomytec and Tomix buildings.

Correct!

• Like 1
chickendrop
On 5/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, gavino200 said:

Amazing photos of Japan. I also really enjoyed your Ireland gallery. Trinity front gate, the Campanile, and Grafton Street are captured beautifully! 

Thank you! I spent a bit of time in Ireland. It's absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 1
chickendrop
3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I simply LOVE the cars! Heck they even turn on their turn signal!!

Ok, I guess it's time to move back to Tokyo! I think if I walked in to Small Worlds Tokyo I would have a very difficult time leaving. Outstanding!!

chickendrop

There was a massive diorama on the ground floor of Tokyo Tower and it was beautiful. I haven't seen a more impressive diorama since. I don't remember seeing any information on the artists, and I've Googled with no luck.

I had just picked up some vinyl collectibles from Nakano Broadway, and now I found the perfect environment for a photoshoot. The diorama was completely surrounded by a 3' high plexiglass barrier, but luckily I have long arms 🙂 I fired off a few shots and was planning my next shot when security came running over and scolded me (politely of course). I'm pretty certain that this is what set off my obsession with small scale Japanese architecture.

IMG_20170511_152536.jpg

IMG_20170511_150915.jpg

IMG_20170511_150959.jpg

IMG_20170301_144344.jpg

Edited by chickendrop
  • Like 4
chickendrop

Here are a few other notable dioramas that I came across while out exploring.

The old Manseibashi Station diorama at mAAch Ecute near Akihabara

OldManseibashiStation.jpg

Tokyo Harbor diorama (with the real view of the city in the background) at the World Trade Center in Hamamatsuchō

TokyoHarbor.jpg

The amazing Edo Tokyo museum

EdoTokyo1.jpg

Edited by chickendrop
  • Like 4