Japanese transport group aims to set up public ropeway transit system by 2025

bill937ca

bill937ca

Ah, gadgetbahn strikes again!   

"One company thinks they might have a solution: Zip Infrastructure Inc. Their proposal is to set up electric-powered ziplines throughout a city that can transport small capsules carrying up to 12 people per journey."

Yeah, that's really going to replace trains carrying 1,200 per train. Dreamers.

https://soranews24.com/2021/05/08/japanese-transport-group-aims-to-set-up-public-ropeway-transit-system-by-2025/

• Like 2
railsquid

Test runs of the ropeway are currently underway in the mountain city of Odawara in Kanagawa prefecture.

Wow, I never knew there was another Odawara city in Kanagawa.

It does seem like it might be useful for really hilly areas, there's a big city in South America (Quito?) with an extensive cable car network.

• Like 1
gavino200
4 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Wow, I never knew there was another Odawara city in Kanagawa.

It does seem like it might be useful for really hilly areas, there's a big city in South America (Quito?) with an extensive cable car network.

La Paz, Bolivia. It's awesome.

• Like 2
maihama eki

I've been on the cable cars in Barcelona and London. They are more tourist oriented than commuter transport. The Barcelona one is on a mountain, the one in London crosses the river.

Disney has a new cable car network at the Walt Disney World property. There are 3 separate lines connecting 2 of their theme parks and 4 of their resort hotels. It seems to work pretty well, and is a lot more convenient and interesting to ride than their buses. That system is all on flat ground and crosses roads, parking lots, and some lakes. I think they stop operating in severe weather - probably lighting or strong winds in Florida, so that is a limitation of these types of systems.

gavino200

There's also the Mexicable in the outskirts of Mexico City. Same kind as in La Paz. But in Ecatapec, perhaps the most dangerous part of Edomex. Not many dare go there. 

• Like 1

Neat, looks a lot like the little pho network packet switch hanging capsules proposed for a number of places a decade ago on rigid girders. Cables are a lot faster and easier to string around than big pylons and girders.

jeff

• Like 1

Having worked in an old building with a pneumatic tube message delivery system (Ritz Carlton kitchen in Boston), I've always wanted to see that sort of capsule in personal human sized transportation!  

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

On the other hand, he's also pretty good at actually getting stuff done while others just sit on their ideas until someone else does something with them 😉

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Cat said:

Having worked in an old building with a pneumatic tube message delivery system (Ritz Carlton kitchen in Boston), I've always wanted to see that sort of capsule in personal human sized transportation!  

Those things are still going strong in hospitals. It's a handy way to send physical things such as blood samples and medications. It's generally referred to as the rocket. The verb is 'to rocket', as in "I'll rocket that to you right away!". 

• Like 2

Yes but I have to admit he hit the home run with spacex. Watching 2 falcons land side by side is just amazing. Starships are going to be a gas to watch as well, wild if they get caught by the tower. Amazing what the test to fail can work so well in rocket design when you don’t have all the national pride pressure and fear of failure. It’s bold but it has worked well to quickly point at the best parts that work and the parts that don’t and how to make things reusable. Plus the spectacular crashes in test to failure just give him free advertising! Like he said on SNL have you ever seen a tesla (or spacex) ad? Doesn’t need to between his mouth, thumbs, and exploding rockets hes always in the public eye.

boring co kind of flopped, while making tunnels fast and cheap would open up a lot of things there just ain’t any new technologies sitting (like with PayPal, tesla and spacex) to just refine to get a huge jump on doing something way better and cheaply.

jeff

• Like 1
MeTheSwede
6 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

On the other hand, he's also pretty good at actually getting stuff done while others just sit on their ideas until someone else does something with them 😉

It helps having a few billion dollars worth of change in his pockets when he wants to try out a new idea. 🤑

Hyperloop is not pneumatic, it's a low pressure tube with self propelled capsules.  Close to but much simpler than Rand's vacuum tube 1000+ mph idea.  Early subways were pneumatic, like the tubes in hospitals and banks.  I think NYC had one. Maybe better said as in early days some subways tried pneumatics, not sure any really succeeded.

Edited by EdF
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

He did almost bankrupt himself with SpaceX. He had 3 rockets explode, if the 4th one would've exploded, it'd have been the end of SpaceX. At the time Tesla was also a giant money pit, and his personal life was in shambles as well. Of course, the 4th one didn't explode, and NASA gave him 1.5 billion 🙂

I have to say though, what he's accomplished with SpaceX is just insane. He's got 2 first stage rockets that have now launched and landed 9 times. I think when they started with the re-usable rocket idea, they said 4 or 5 launches would already be amazing. Starship is also progressing so fast it's crazy. Sure, a lot of them exploded and it took a while to get that to land, but seeing it all work as planned is just incredible really.

• Like 1

he loves to live on the edge! if hes not close enough he just tweets something to put him there again usually! maybe chinese finger cuffs on his thumbs...

yeah it is insane how fast they got to the reusable point but to do that they had to take the test to failure, but now they have the data on what works and what doesnt and where to put in extra to make reusable and also simplify a lot. doesnt hurt the amount of processing power and networking that can now go into these now. good old Hannibal "i love it when a plan comes together!"

it is odd though when you actually want it to blow up some in the begining! staggering also the price that starlifter will be able to launch stuff at. 

i wonder if the starlifter open jaw bay was a flashback to the old you only live twice! musk is going to start gobbling up satellites!

yeah while hyperloop is not a pnematics tube they are reducing air pressure to cut down resistance and then propel via mag induction.

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Well, he's already launching tons of satellites for his Starlink project, so good change he might "accidentally" grab a couple of potentially competing satellites. I know Amazon is also launching a bunch of them.

Interestingly, Amazon allows you to get access to their satellites through AWS, anything on the forum we need a satellite for? 😄

13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

i wonder if the starlifter open jaw bay was a flashback to the old you only live twice! musk is going to start gobbling up satellites!

My money is betting on the fact that Musk *is* a Bond villain.

• Haha 2

LOL yes I could see him gleefully watching a starship gobble up a starliner capsule! 

at least spacex knows what time it is…

jeff