Project: Kato Eurostar / latest branding/logos

GCS

Hi guys, 

Hoping that some of you could help or point me in the right direction, I’m looking to update my Kato Eurostar 10-1295/10-1296 from the old Eurostar logo/branding to the latest stylised logo/branding which was running for a few years before the Class 373 got repainted as the E300’s.

I’ve got the vectors for the Eurostar logos and since they would only be going on the power units and a small window on each coach, in theory it shouldn’t be too hard if it was a decal.

Does anyone have any ideas on who I could approach, or know anyone I could discuss this with?

Thanks, Guy

93A52FD4-1B11-42A2-9AF6-5694C0170126.jpeg

0B1BDCF8-6904-41CF-BE00-10404BF3CAE4.jpeg

BF98D047-5149-4FC5-BC0B-DBAF550EE13F.jpeg

• Like 1

Update. Managed to find a decal producer who scaled the logos down from vectors and I have the decals in hand, remarkable clarity considering how small they are.

This would be my first time removing tampo printing and fitting decals so if anyone has any advice they can give me, products to use and guidance that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Guy

8BD5B95A-0037-4633-94F7-89B1B8AF08B5.jpeg

• Like 2
gavino200

That was quick! The name of the business is "precision decals"? I might use their services for a BR to CIE livery conversion project that I have on hold. 

Edited by gavino200

To remove pad printing from kato models I generally use a high % IPA, also known as rubbing alcohol.   I dip a Q-tip in IPA and gently rub the affected printing till it slowly comes off, changing Q-tips as the old ones get paint on them.  For most kato model this will remove the pad printing without affecting the underlying paint much, but you should first test this on a hidden area to make sure your model won't be affected.  If a spot of printing is particularly stubborn you can get a small paper towel wet with IPA or microsol and let that lay over the printing for a bit to soften it up first.  

For american models I've had good luck with this method to renumber kato locomotives.  Be aware some paints react differently than others, and sometimes you'll still get a ghost or residue of the previous printing even with a lot of rubbing.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, gavino200 said:

That was quick! The name of the business is "precision decals"? I might use their services for a BR to CIE livery conversion project that I have on hold. 

As long as you have artwork/vectors ready the turnaround will be really quick. Very good service from them.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

To remove pad printing from kato models I generally use a high % IPA, also known as rubbing alcohol.   I dip a Q-tip in IPA and gently rub the affected printing till it slowly comes off, changing Q-tips as the old ones get paint on them.  For most kato model this will remove the pad printing without affecting the underlying paint much, but you should first test this on a hidden area to make sure your model won't be affected.  If a spot of printing is particularly stubborn you can get a small paper towel wet with IPA or microsol and let that lay over the printing for a bit to soften it up first.  

For american models I've had good luck with this method to renumber kato locomotives.  Be aware some paints react differently than others, and sometimes you'll still get a ghost or residue of the previous printing even with a lot of rubbing.

Thanks for the advice, I did see someone use ‘Micro-Sol’ on a YouTube video for about 3 to 5 minutes, wipe clean and the use some tape and they could easily remove what they were trying to replace, ever had any experience using this product?

Guy

gavino200
5 hours ago, GCS said:

Thanks for the advice, I did see someone use ‘Micro-Sol’ on a YouTube video for about 3 to 5 minutes, wipe clean and the use some tape and they could easily remove what they were trying to replace, ever had any experience using this product?

Guy

I've used micro-sol and micro-set for placing decals before. It's weird stuff. @cteno4 walked me through the process. I'll see if I can find where I put the information. 

• Thanks 1