Looking for 3D models

Many games have mods/DLCs featuting japanese rolling stock. However, I couldn't find any open-source 3D models. Does anyone know where can I get them, or how can I reverse-engineer them from Trainz?

This is a common misconception with 3d files.  While games do have 3d models in them, these are usually specific to the game engine they are written for.  If you can extract them from the game files they are unlikely to work with other programs.   Your best bet for learning how to extract file data from the game would most likely be the gaming community for said game or the game engine it is written in, but unless the game is hugely popular I wouldn't bank on them being available.  

I used to work part time in a hobby shop that did 3d printing, and this was a really common question from people who didn't understand how 3d files work.  Depending on what you plan on using the files for, it may be easier to make your own.  Even if you can get them from the game code, the likelihood of you being able to use them in any meaningful way is rather small.

In regards to 3d files for trains, the amount of work that goes into making such a file means that decent quality files of rare prototypes (such as Japanese trains) are few and far between.  A few narrow gauge enthusiasts have been kind enough to share files online, this model of a deki switcher is the only japanese prototype I've seen available for free anywhere.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3417676

• Like 2
Nozomi329

I don't know which Trainz version you are using. Trainz 12 and before mainly uses .im file as the in game data for the model, and you might be able to open it with some sort of loader. contents created in TANE and after sometimes use .trainzmesh, which is some of the game's own standard, and probably won't be able to easily open.

I have also heard of people converting MSTS and TS models into other places. However these mostly have copyright problems so be careful.

In Japan the design of trains is part of the property of the railway companies, so it's going to be difficult to find open source models.

I do make a bit of 3D modelling for Trainz simulator using sketchup, i can send you some .skp files if you want.

For example, here's a Kintetsu 3200 Series commuter train during modelling...

k3200ss.png

...and here's the finished result.

Kintetsu-3200-Series-1024x605.png

Here's a list of most of the Japanese trains i've modelled until now. I still have .skp files for all of these.

100 Series Shinkansen

200 Series Shinkansen (100 Series-style H-formations)

JNR/JR East 301 Series

JR West 125 Series

JR West KiHa 120 Series (+ Niigata NDC third sector variants)

DD54 Diesel locomotives

DE10 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)
DE15 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)

DE11 Diesel locomotives (both -0, -1000, 1901 and -2000 subserieses and third-sector variants)

DD16 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 1000 Series (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 8090-8590 Serieses (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 2000 Series

Tokyu 9000 Series

Seibu 9000 Series

Kintetsu 3200 Series

Nagano Electric Railway 0 and 10 Serieses "OS-cars"

Ibara Railway IRT355 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 3000 Series (+ third-sector variants)

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 6000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 7000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 8000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 03 Series (+ third-sector variants)

Kyoto Subway 10 Series

Osaka Subway 30 Series

Osaka Subway 10 Series

Osaka Subway 20 Series

Osaka Subway 60 Series

Enoden 2000 Series

Keikuku 611-621-631-2001 Serieses

All the above models are currently avaible for download at my website as trainz's propietary .CDP files.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Nozomi329 said:

I don't know which Trainz version you are using.

Trainz 19 Platinum Edition.

I'm fully aware that I need to modify those models to be 3D-printable.

shadowtiger25
On 5/3/2021 at 2:47 AM, Socimi said:

I do make a bit of 3D modelling for Trainz simulator using sketchup, i can send you some .skp files if you want.

For example, here's a Kintetsu 3200 Series commuter train during modelling...

k3200ss.png

...and here's the finished result.

Kintetsu-3200-Series-1024x605.png

Here's a list of most of the Japanese trains i've modelled until now. I still have .skp files for all of these.

100 Series Shinkansen

200 Series Shinkansen (100 Series-style H-formations)

JNR/JR East 301 Series

JR West 125 Series

JR West KiHa 120 Series (+ Niigata NDC third sector variants)

DD54 Diesel locomotives

DE10 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)
DE15 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)

DE11 Diesel locomotives (both -0, -1000, 1901 and -2000 subserieses and third-sector variants)

DD16 Diesel locomotives (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 1000 Series (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 8090-8590 Serieses (+ third-sector variants)

Tokyu 2000 Series

Tokyu 9000 Series

Seibu 9000 Series

Kintetsu 3200 Series

Nagano Electric Railway 0 and 10 Serieses "OS-cars"

Ibara Railway IRT355 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 3000 Series (+ third-sector variants)

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 6000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 7000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 8000 Series

TRTA/Tokyo Metro 03 Series (+ third-sector variants)

Kyoto Subway 10 Series

Osaka Subway 30 Series

Osaka Subway 10 Series

Osaka Subway 20 Series

Osaka Subway 60 Series

Enoden 2000 Series

Keikuku 611-621-631-2001 Serieses

All the above models are currently avaible for download at my website as trainz's propietary .CDP files.

Know anyone that does the steam engines? I have seen them but I cant figure out how to download them

7 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

Know anyone that does the steam engines? I have seen them but I cant figure out how to download them

For trainz?

Open up trainz, select "manage content" on the launcher, select filter "custom" and then "on download station - true", then in the searchbar type "JNR".

Once the content list has loaded, select all (Ctrl + A), right click with mouse and choose "download".

This will download all JNR content avaible on Trainz's Download Station, wich includes 99% of all Japanese steam locomotives ever made for trainz plus matching freight and passenger stock and many other useful things.

aaa.png

• Thanks 1

I have little idea how to remodel the mesh into something printable. I use Autodesk Inventor, but it's not good for models that have few closed spaces and a lot of pure 2D polygons.

7 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

I have little idea how to remodel the mesh into something printable. I use Autodesk Inventor, but it's not good for models that have few closed spaces and a lot of pure 2D polygons.

the mesh of what models?

6 hours ago, Socimi said:

the mesh of what models?

DD16 and DE10 by you. Windows are polygons, there seems to be something wrong with the window frame. The vents on the side are left wide open, so the "guts" of the loco aren't enclosed space. The brake pipe under one of the the couplers is one part with the coupler... I wish I could join coplanar polygons into actual polygons.

Maybe I need to learn more about 3D modelling.

6 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

DD16 and DE10 by you. Windows are polygons, there seems to be something wrong with the window frame. The vents on the side are left wide open, so the "guts" of the loco aren't enclosed space. The brake pipe under one of the the couplers is one part with the coupler... I wish I could join coplanar polygons into actual polygons.

Maybe I need to learn more about 3D modelling.

Ah, i got it. I tought you were talking about the steam locomotives you mentioned earlier.

If you need, modify my models how much you want: delete, add, move evrything you need to make something printable

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Socimi said:

Ah, i got it. I tought you were talking about the steam locomotives you mentioned earlier.

If you need, modify my models how much you want: delete, add, move evrything you need to make something printable

I wish it was easier.

19 hours ago, cteno4 said:

3D modeling is one thing, to print on specific printers another…

jeff

I haven't made them manufacturable yet.

Yeah the real art really comes in for the file to print well on specific kinds of printers and materials, not the same as making fast, nice looking 3d renderings for the screen. At least the software path is getting better for 3d print rendering pathway as 3d printing has become so pervasive.

jeff