Funny moments in modeling

Bernard

When I saw Darren's photo of the construction workers boxing themselves in I started to think about funny things that have happened to me in modeling.

Many years ago my Dad and I modeled trains together, I did "N scale" and he did "S gauge".

My father wasn't the best modeler but he tried. His favorite tool of choice was Duct tape, that's right Duct tape. One day he was running his Hudson steam engine which had a working smoke stack. I noticed that lot of smoke was coming out of it and I told him so. He told me that he cleaned and re-wired it and you're seeing the improved results. I then said, "Dad was one of the improvements flames coming out of the tender?"  Hence came the expression around our house, "If it's on fire, it's broken."

(I sent the Hudson to a friend of mine to fix and it still works today, minus the flames.)

Does anyone else have a story to share?

Darren Jeffries

This isn't train related but before I took up Model Railways, I used to build kit form scale jet fighters. I am sure that it's called the same thing the world over but in case its not, we have a permanent VERY quick setting glue called 'super glue' here. It instantly bonds anything. You know whats coming....

I was building a scale 1:72 stealth bomber. I ran out of modellers glue and decided to use some super glue instead. The plastic kit (airfix) was unbeknown to me poly based and melts with super glue. I tried to fix the cockpit canopy to the aircraft and it melted the body to which i was trying to stick the canopy to. In my annoyance and because i was distracted i immediately tried to remove the canopy and in the process managed to glue the canopy to one finger and the rest of the plane to the palm of my hand.

Bearing in mind this glue will not budge from skin, I tried anyway and after much pain i finally decided to visit the 'ER' or the A&E dept to any brits reading this. After 2 hours of waiting and 20 mins of some strange solution soaked into my hand they were finally free of plastic plane!

Moral of this story? Even if it seems like a really good idea at the time, dont use super glue when modelling!

Great Darren - I think all modelers have had the same experience with CA glues. Mine was working on a wooden model boat when it happen to me. My wife called, "dinner's ready" I walked in, sat down hoping she won't notice the  36" chris craft attached to my hand.