German Doc on Kyushu Trains

Szdfan

Wow, that was nicely done! Great visual storytelling, didn’t need the narration. Really cleanly done. No over the top personality to be in each shot and fantastic train in scenery and just nice establishing train shots as well as human people shots.

thanks

jeff

• Like 3

DW's documentary "A train ride into Japan's past" published in english is similar to the video posted above because is the same production team but both documentaries have exclusive scenes and other scenes are the same. For example, Hitoyoshi scenes with Mr. Shobu (Bento seller who appeared in first Train Cruise episode too) are the same in both videos. 

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Wow, that was nicely done! Great visual storytelling, didn’t need the narration. Really cleanly done. No over the top personality to be in each shot and fantastic train in scenery and just nice establishing train shots as well as human people shots.

thanks

jeff

This is typical of German television documentaries — low key, informational, nothing fancy, but gets the job done. “Eisenbahn Romantik” has been around since at least the 90s and a lot of their previous episodes are online.

I realized watching this that I’m not really a fan of the Netflix or History Channel style of docs with fancy, flying graphics. Just tell me a story — you don’t need to make it sexy to keep my attention.

Edited by Szdfan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Szdfan said:

I realized watching this that I’m not really a fan of the Netflix or History Channel style of docs with fancy, flying graphics. Just tell me a story — you don’t need to make it sexy to keep my attention.

yep you got it and most everyone is really the same in this respect. Execs just started thinking a couple of decades ago that no one had any attention span (like the human brain evolved much at all in the last millennium) and thus docs needed lots of bells and whistles, big personalities, and very little content to be successful. Very self fulfilling prophecy sadly.

ive had exhibit video stuff that fellow exhibit friends said would be totally boring and not glitzy like it has to be now days and then watch a 13 year old going thru 20 or 30minutes of it at the exhibit as it was clean and had good stories. Our brains have not changed, culture has but we are still the same and still respond to a good clean story and nice presentation.

jeff

• Like 3

I watched the DWs documentary which was very nice. We’re quite lucky in Kyushu to have some beautiful countryside and coastlines.

The pronunciation of some of the places made me chuckle a little. 

Kiyushu, Hakatar, and Arso were particular highlights. 😂

• Like 2