Plaza Japan

Guest JRF-1935

• cteno4 pinned this topic
bill937ca

About a year ago I found the selection on eBay was larger. You can also shop by brand there. As for cheaper I haven't found a definitive answer.

The protections of eBay may be comforting for those newly venturing into buying trains off-shore.

• Like 1
katoftw

Ebay shop version has been very expensive in the past. And the shipping costs were disgusting before covid. Hate to look at them now.

Actually their shipping Sal to the us was not horrible, just started at like $6 not like $4 for smaller stuff, but were pretty good if you combined things and asked for combined shipping Sal. Some things like the tomytec truck sets were always cheapest including shipping to ship from plaza than other regular sources. They also at times have stuff sold out everywhere else. Also just reliable for ebay as well as ebay sellers seem to come and go and can start out great and just decline with time. Folks have used them a lot on the us for a small premium to get ebay protections as Bill noted and worth it for them to get into Japanese stuff with some comfort for a pretty small surcharge.

jeff

• Like 4
disturbman

From what I have seen on their website, their shipping is more expensive than HS by 3 or 4€. Item price is about similar, some are more expensive, some are less expensive. It's more or less a wash in terms of costs. They are not my favorite option but they can be a good contender for items that are out-of-stock at other suppliers.

• Like 1
bill937ca

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

They are not my favorite option but they can be a good contender for items that are out-of-stock at other suppliers.

I find they have items often after HS is sold out which helps many times on anew project.

• Like 1

My experience as well on having stuff more out of stock elsewhere.

a few years back our club wanted like a dozen or so buildings. Plaza was the only source with all of them in stock. We contacted jun and he got us the cheapest price Sal in two boxes for shipping (it was just at that weight and size that it was pushing the Sal price high in one box), was about the same overall cost if we did a similar 2 box order from HS, but HS did not have them all in stock. 

jeff

bill937ca

I find right now there shipping is way better than HS time wise and one of the few alternatives to DHL>

• Like 2
brill27mcb

It seems that it is different in Australia and Germany, but I have always found the Plaza Japan prices (and total cost with shipping) very competitive to the U.S.  The COVID-related shipping mess has changed that situation for many sellers. Usually I would use the Hobby Search and Plaza Japan prices (and total costs) as baselines to compare others. A lot of Hobby Search listings sell out quickly, which is annoying. When I can't order everything I want in one shipment, that affects the total cost dramatically and often causes Hobby Search to not get my order. Also, Plaza Japan has always been cheapest for me for Tomytec powered chassis.

Rich K.

• Like 4
katoftw

Well since you are in the U.S. currency conversion costs/fees may make it a viable cheaper option for U.S. buyers. That 2%-5% difference on final all in costs depending on payment option changes things up.

Well not a cost to make the shop very expensive. Can you you use non exchange fee credit cards to avoid the international transaction fees, or are they not around in Australia?

jeff

katoftw

Situations are different. Good for you if eBay PJ is one of the cheaper options.

Edited by katoftw