If you’re into (or not) garden gnomes

cteno4

That’s the point of our gardening in all of the half acre of property the only gardening is a 1’ strip of hostas around the back edge of the back patio and lantin roses along the front walkway. gardening is just a layer of mulch each spring. Rest is wild! That’s why the gnome would be consumed slowly. Shinkansen would need to be a raised viaduct! 

jeff

• Haha 1

I broke down and ordered one. I’ll hide it near the street to see if it cracks up folks walking by, we live right next to a park so lots of locals walking by.

jeff

• Like 2

You need a gogi creeping up behind them!

I vowed I would never have garden gnomes but in this case it’s kind of different, hey it’s goji!

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gavin, I don’t even gnome you anymore, you weren’t gnome for using bad puns! Gnome pun intended, I just have a fear now of the un-gnome. But, I guess gnome news is good news and all roads lead to gnome, so in the end I just want to go gnome. 

Remember our strict pun control rules here on the forum, use a pun go to jail!

jeff

i will have some, they will just be being eaten! At least goji will gnome where his snacks will be coming from.

• Haha 1

im half tempted to get the mouse trap and knive in the back one and hide them out in the front yard near the street to crack up the walkers when they look close.

the last year ive been on the fence on this right along the street where we replaced the only strip of lawn we had with now a full bed of ornamental tufted grass. just feels like something most folks walking by would smirk at and its on the art a bit.

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/octopus-garden-sculpture

jeff

10 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

im half tempted to get the mouse trap and knive in the back one and hide them out in the front yard near the street to crack up the walkers when they look close.

Yes, that would definitely amuse. The mouse trap got chuckles all round here.

the last year ive been on the fence on this right along the street where we replaced the only strip of lawn we had with now a full bed of ornamental tufted grass.

I wish I could do that. I hate mowing grass. It really cuts into my hobby time. 

just feels like something most folks walking by would smirk at and its on the art a bit.

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/octopus-garden-sculpture

jeff

Some of them are a little artsy. But the octopus is just plane funny. Tempted to get it myself.

29 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I wish I could do that. I hate mowing grass. It really cuts into my hobby time. 

mowing grass sucks. fun on a riding mower for a few times, but event hat looses it charm fast! so glad we bought a place with 90% wild. taking out the grass out along the road took away like another 5%, rest is just a layer of compost once a year! but having a forest means a lot of leaf wrangling...

yeah i evertime i look at the octopus it just makes me smile and it has some class and you just usually dont see octopus art...

jeff

• Like 1

Surprised the left out clover lawns! Many 19th and even early 20th century lawns were clover and many native species. Great thing is they don’t require mowing and richer ecosystem than grass lawns and best of all they fix nitrogen so need way less fertilizer and water and are better at enriching the soil.

I started looking into replacing our little patch or road lawn (funny as we don’t see it from the house 50’ away with bushes in between only people on the street see it) with native clover. But neighbors were not keen as clover tends to get into grass lawns and muck them up and sadly lots of herbicides used against clovers probably coming down the street...

when we were house shopping here in the dc area 20 years ago I was astounded how much lawns there were on most all the houses we looked at. In Northern California there are not many lawns and if there are they are small, water needs have really gotten rid of most house lawns. The thought of mowing a quarter acre plus of lawn every week or two was not my idea of fun, so I started only looking for houses with minimal lawns. Luckily we found this house with very minimal lawn that was then done away with! The patch was so small I would just mow it with an electric weed whacker! 

jeff

Our G[arden]-Zilla just went back out for the season.  It's quite faded after many summers in the sun.

We have no lawn, only flowers, starting with snowdrops in March and roses stretching into November!  It's peak tulip week here in the Flamingo Jungle:

GZilla.jpg

FlamingoPath26April2021.JPG

• Like 3

Great! Does gogi get into battles with the flamingos? I could see hat as a fun stop motion animation project. I’ve been tempted to sneak a plastic flamingo into the backyard jungle as see how long till my wife spots it. We have the more classic GBH metal cutout and metal bats in the eaves over the door, but plastic flamingo is just a different sort of class!

Need to get the paints out of goji and the gnomes and good uv clear coat then. Luckily we are under a very heavy forest canopy (which is why we only have the most shade tolerant of plants and lawns are a no go) so hopefully our goji munching gnome won’t get too much UV.

jeff

The Flamingos are quite the daikaiju compared to the small Goji.

There are mini plastic flamingos, about 12" or so that might be more sneakable...

The original plastic flamingo is part of our ethnic pride, they were invented in Leominster, Massachusetts.
: 3

• Like 1

Hmm, CTTHY is a very sketchy looking site.

Also turns out the one I had posted is rather sketchy looking too; hopefully I can rely on PayPal and/or credit card protection if they don't come through.  The website they gave to PayPal is not the one I bought through.  After two weeks, I sent an email enquiring if they had shipped.  Got a reply from yet another website address.  They did send out a tracking number for Yanwen, and allegedly it has now departed the port...

• Like 1

Ohh the JGSDF (Japanese Gnome Self Defense Force) probably hunting the gnome munching goji in my yard!

Ao where’s goji? He will be appearing in more out of the way places as my wife is not too keen on him. First up is behind the mailbox to amuse our mailman. We were recently commiserating on the decline of the goji movies with his head getting tinier and looking like a mole face along with ever aiding caboose…

Cheers,

jeff

B49E51BA-E0C3-4BBB-882D-1D0940314861.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a bit of a surprise, the Guardin' Gnomes actually arrived today from the sketchy looking website.  Because we want to put them in a completely shady spot and because they're only 7" tall, we're having trouble finding a good place for them right now in our summer-height English cottage garden where even the Flamingoes lurk in the jungle.  Will have to see if there's a garden box or something that we can use upside-down to make a little fortress for them.

GuardingGnomes26June2021.JPG

FlamingoJungle26June2021.JPG

• Like 3