Zimo EM13 compatible MX605

chadbag

Zimo made an EM13 compatible motor decoder and a sound decoder for Lemke for the KATO ICE4.   It appears they may be selling them for generic EM13 use as Steamlined Backshop now is listing them for use in any Japanese/European KATO model using EM13 style decoders.  They have the sound/motor, the motor only, and FR11 and FL12 compatible decoders as well...  (Per email announcement I received today).

https://store.sbs4dcc.com/ZIMOMX605NMicroDirectDCCDecoder-KatoJapanTypes.a.EM13.aspx

I did not see anything on it the Zimo.at website.

The price is reasonable at $36.27 for the motor only, $21.33 for the FL12 compatible one for cab cars.  The FR11 for interior lighting is $20.27...

• Like 2

Interesting release, I guess they wanted to beat ESU to the punch.  Sound files may be an issue for Japanese prototypes, unless Zimo has some available I was unaware of. 

The thing about this is it makes taking Zimo or D&H small decoders and the EM13 compatible blank board and assembling your own less interesting for those who are looking for Railcom etc. as the price for a nano Zimo is a hair over $30 and getting D&H sent over are also approaching that $30 point.  If you make a lot the boards aren't all that expensive but then you put them together to save a couple bucks.

I may get one or two to try out.  The Zimo sound version is the same price as the  ESU sound version if you want Sound.  WIth the open sound stuff for ESU coming from Japan that might be a better choice for sound.

• Like 1

Has anyone installed this Zimo sound decoder into the Kato ICE4?  Just got the set (1xMX605 and 2xMX605SL) from DM Toys.  Zimo has the installation instruction, but it doesn't mention where to place the speaker and where to hardwire the speaker wires into the board.  For those who have done it, which speaker did you use, and where did you place the speaker?  Any pointers before I start this install is much appreciated.

• Like 1