Soviet TEM2 Scratchbuild

Szdfan

One of the things I dream about as a “someday” project is an N scale TEM2 from the Soviet Union. These locomotives were based on the Alco RSD-1 shipped to the USSR as part of the lend-lease program during WWII.

Does anyone have thoughts about what an appropriate mechanism might be? The link below is to TEM2 drawings with dimensions. Thanks. 

http://scaletrainsclub.com/board/download/file.php?id=24980&sid=3b4578880387c3f049785da33228f12e&mode=view

roadstar_na6

Once you did that and are looking for a new project I'd like to order an N Scale P36 😄

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Once you did that and are looking for a new project I'd like to order an N Scale P36 😄

You might be able to do that with a Kato or Bachmann Daylight mechanism and 3D printed parts. 🤷‍♂️

The closest N scale chassis for the TEM2 would be either the Minitrix or new Fleischmann M62 Diesels (attachments 1 and 2). These both have exactly the correct truck wheelbases and the correct truck center-to-center pivot point distances. The truck sideframes are also very close to being correct for the TEM-2. The main challenge is that the M62 is a full width cowl engine rather than a narrow body type like the TEM series. Still, it's a starting point to consider. I've got one of the Minitrix ones, but I'm repainting and detailing that one to the North Korean version.

As for other Russian motive power: Here on the JNS Forum, Medusa, a member in Germany, did a conversion of the DelPrado VL-80 2-unit electric. Check out Medusa's article in the Worldwide Models section on December 26, 2016. The title is "Russian VL-80 DelPrado Conversion".

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/12347-russian-vl-80-delprado-conversion/

I'm also doing this conversion, using two Atlas GP-9 chassis, a perfect fit in wheelbases.

I also just this month completed a repowering of the old PIKO ChS4 Russian electric model from the 1970s using a Kato SD-9 chassis. Attachment 3 shows the Piko and Kato chassis in mirror image so you can see how close they are. Attachment 4 shows the finished model with a Russian freight train of cars from Red Star Models (no longer in business). I do need to replace the funky pantographs that the ebay seller substututed for the original Piko ones. Piko now has some very nice ones that I'll be getting to upgrade this model and those on the VL-80 model.

There is also a discussion by another N scaler wanting to do Russian prototype that you might find of interest. It's on The Railwire forum from December 2014. The title is "So I had an idea..." He discusses Russian N scale modeling and there are several good replies to see there.

Best of all, I believe we have the Russian N scale "expert" on right here on this forum! That would be Vadimav who is a Russian N scale modeler who does some incredible work. Check out his article in the Worldwide Models section: "N-Scale shunting work with Russian locos!" and look for his other posts too.

Addressing roadstar_na6's reply: There are a couple of static DelPrado Russian steam loco models that might be starting points. There is the π36 4-8-4 (Attachment 5). I don't know what N scale mechanism might best fit - maybe the GS-4, as you mention, or maybe one of the Bachmann 4-8-2 Mountains. There might be a European mechanism that would work as well. This would need further research, but, here's a dimensioned drawing of the prototype to get you started (Attachment 6). The Boxpok or disc drivers could be a challenge.

DelPrado also have an earlier Russian steamer, the SU 2-6-2 (Attachment 7). Maybe a Bachmann or an Arnold German 2-6-2 chassis?

Keep us posted on your Russian modeling!

Railtunes (Paul Ingraham)

1. Minitrix M62.jpg

2. Fleischmann M62.png

3. KATO SD9 And PIKO ChS4 Chassis Comparison.jpg

4. PIKO ChS4 With Freight Train.jpg

5. DelPrado Russian P36 model.jpg

6. Parovoz P36 razmeri.jpg

7. DelPrado Russian SU 2-6-2.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Railtunes said:

As for other Russian motive power: Here on the JNS Forum, Medusa, a member in Germany, did a conversion of the DelPrado VL-80 2-unit electric. Check out Medusa's article in the Worldwide Models section on December 26, 2016. The title is "Russian VL-80 DelPrado Conversion".

Medusa had some of the coolest projects. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, Railtunes said:

The closest N scale chassis for the TEM2 would be either the Minitrix or new Fleischmann M62 Diesels (attachments 1 and 2). These both have exactly the correct truck wheelbases and the correct truck center-to-center pivot point distances. The truck sideframes are also very close to being correct for the TEM-2. The main challenge is that the M62 is a full width cowl engine rather than a narrow body type like the TEM series. Still, it's a starting point to consider. I've got one of the Minitrix ones, but I'm repainting and detailing that one to the North Korean version.

I'm also doing this conversion, using two Atlas GP-9 chassis, a perfect fit in wheelbases.

I also just this month completed a repowering of the old PIKO ChS4 Russian electric model from the 1970s using a Kato SD-9 chassis. Attachment 3 shows the Piko and Kato chassis in mirror image so you can see how close they are. Attachment 4 shows the finished model with a Russian freight train of cars from Red Star Models (no longer in business). I do need to replace the funky pantographs that the ebay seller substututed for the original Piko ones. Piko now has some very nice ones that I'll be getting to upgrade this model and those on the VL-80 model.

There is also a discussion by another N scaler wanting to do Russian prototype that you might find of interest. It's on The Railwire forum from December 2014. The title is "So I had an idea..." He discusses Russian N scale modeling and there are several good replies to see there.

Best of all, I believe we have the Russian N scale "expert" on right here on this forum! That would be Vadimav who is a Russian N scale modeler who does some incredible work. Check out his article in the Worldwide Models section: "N-Scale shunting work with Russian locos!" and look for his other posts too.

Addressing roadstar_na6's reply: There are a couple of static DelPrado Russian steam loco models that might be starting points. There is the π36 4-8-4 (Attachment 5). I don't know what N scale mechanism might best fit - maybe the GS-4, as you mention, or maybe one of the Bachmann 4-8-2 Mountains. There might be a European mechanism that would work as well. This would need further research, but, here's a dimensioned drawing of the prototype to get you started (Attachment 6). The Boxpok or disc drivers could be a challenge.

DelPrado also have an earlier Russian steamer, the SU 2-6-2 (Attachment 7). Maybe a Bachmann or an Arnold German 2-6-2 chassis?

Keep us posted on your Russian modeling!

Railtunes (Paul Ingraham)

1. Minitrix M62.jpg

2. Fleischmann M62.png

3. KATO SD9 And PIKO ChS4 Chassis Comparison.jpg

4. PIKO ChS4 With Freight Train.jpg

5. DelPrado Russian P36 model.jpg

6. Parovoz P36 razmeri.jpg

7. DelPrado Russian SU 2-6-2.jpg

Thanks for the response!

I was afraid the M62 might be the option, considering that it’s become obscenely expensive at this point. Maybe it would be possible to find just the mechanism for cheaper?

I actually have the old Piko ChS4 that I picked up a few years ago. It has a lot of quirks, so I’m unsure whether to update it or leave it as is. 

I was good friends with Chris White from Red Star Railways. He unfortunately passed away recently. His remaining stock and molds are in climate controlled storage with a mutual friend who is acting as caretaker for the time being.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Jeremy 

Szdfan: You are looking for a TEM2, so I don't know if this item might be of interest. I found an ebay listing for an N scale resin body kit for a ChME3. Here is the ebay listing link and a couple of more detailed shots of the model. The seller is in Moscow. This has been listed for several months at least.

I have no idea what mechanism might be suitable for this. There are some basic dimensions in Wikipedia, but, if you have prototype information and a dimensioned plan (as you did for the TEM2), we might be able to track down something that will work. Looks like maybe some North American Diesel chassis from Kato or Atlas could fit. There may be some European models that would also work.

Paul I.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353867422900?hash=item5264245cb4:g:MHkAAOSwFuBhuMqe

TEM3 Body And Parts.png

TEM3 Body Paiinted.png

Edited by Railtunes
to correct information and forum protocols