All aboard the train station soba restaurant that’s being called the best in Japan

From SoraNews24  13 Apr 21

All aboard the train station soba restaurant that’s being called the best in Japan

https://soranews24.com/2021/04/13/all-aboard-the-best-train-station-soba-restaurant-in-japan/

One thing I've noticed is that ekisoba stands seem to be less common. The one on the platform at Kobuchizawa was moved into the station and Musahi-Kosugi has none though there is plenty of room downstairs and the one at Mizonoguchi closed down about two years ago. 

The most memorable ekisoba was at Matsumoto Station about 10 years ago. It was more expensive and I seem to remember that the broth preparation was more involved. It tasted better than the usual broth. 

Grant

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

There used to be a relatively famous soba stand on the Tokaido Line platform at Shinagawa Station.  It allowed you to add toppings (as much as the bowl could allow), which made for a filling meal (typically a bowl for me is a snack rather than something that holds my appetite until the next meal). It closed quite some back, before all the station renovations started (and are still ongoing).  It was a nice experience, having a big bowl while hearing the 113 series trains depart just outside with their whining mt54 motors.  

Most places the soba is just OK, I eat more for the location experience  (or convenience) than the desire for culinary fulfillment. There are three soba stands at Abiko station (two on the down platform and one on the up, I think), famous for "karaagesoba" (fried chicken topping), that is quite popular.  Soup taste is just average.  

Alot of these places are going out of business because their owners are aging, the lease is running out and unrenewable, low profit margins, and/or the location is slated to be renovated by the landlord.  Add the coronavirus.  Another thing is most customers are men- the stands in Abiko are close to 100% male customers, at least when I was there two times this year - you're losing out on business when you can't attract half the population.  

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Homer drool....

sad when the old couple shops fade away. We had a gyudon shop in berkeley by a very ancient Japanese couple. Each bowl done by hand cooked in a vat of broth fresh by the husband when ordered from his wife. $2 per plate. Oshinko and extra 50 cents. Dinner a couple times a week, a staple. They spoke little English, but were very proud of their food and really appreciated those that loved it.  Wish there was more of that, but lives vividly on in my memory.

jeff

• Like 1