Kato Hiroshima Electric Railway (Hiroden) Greenmover LEX Trams

bill937ca

I was curious as to what the motors are the 14-804-1. Didn't find that but I found a light installation video.

Edited by bill937ca

Another lighting video but in English.  Video by Otaku Oyaji.

Edited by bill937ca
  • bill937ca changed the title to Kato 14-804-1 Hiroshima Railway 1000 'Green Mover LEX'

A couple of photos of the Green Mover LEX on my small in progress layout. I have one little nit pick. The interior seating should be  dark green  / turquoise depending on the light rather than light blue. It is an excellent slow runner. The layout is on top of a 3' x 2' garage storage unit. It took the tram well over a minute to do a full lap.

IMG_8437 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_8438 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

Incidentally, there now is a Hiroden 1001 PIccolo in the colors of Hiroden Bus.  Video by tanikou768.  Video from March 2020.

• Like 2
  • bill937ca changed the title to Kato 14-804-1 Hiroshima Electric Railway 1000 'Green Mover LEX'

Yeah the LEX mover is truly an interesting tram model! It does seem that the LEX is more appealing than the Picollo/ Picolla, though technically they are the same model... Maybe it's the colour scheme? 

I don't like the Picollo / Picolla color scheme and I won't buy it. 1001 was repainted in 2020 so that is changing too. Probably the best tram model I have ever bought.

• Like 1

I am considering an all R103 tram layout as part of my rotating layouts on my small layout table.  Before I order any extra track I want to see how it runs on R103 S curves. The Kato 14-804-1 is rated as R90 minimum curves, but will it handle R103 curves including S curves? Generally S curves are bad in model railroading without a straight of at least the length of the longest car to prevent derailments and stress on couplers.  But with the short length of the three sections in the Green Mover LEX handles S curves at this radius just fine. The overall length of the car  is  125mm.

In the video the test layout is laying on top of the balsa sub-base for the first small space rotating tram layout which has R140 and R177 curves.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, bill937ca said:

I don't like the Picollo / Picolla color scheme and I won't buy it. 1001 was repainted in 2020 so that is changing too. Probably the best tram model I have ever bought.

I don't care for the color as well but it is something that's out and in existence. There have been some color schemes I did not buy only to regret it later on. I think for variety shake its difference makes it stand out and a positive.  I bought one for that reason.

Point in case....... What I didn't like yesterday....... I like today.....

image.thumb.png.b013c9c40de29aaebecfbdbbe9411880.png

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 4

I've actually changed my tune and I will buy the Picollo / Picolla set when money comes available later this month. Too good to miss.

53 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

I've actually changed my tune and I will buy the Picollo / Picolla set when money comes available later this month. Too good to miss.

Yes, its  a safe bet as getting them only adds to your modeling plans. In all actuality the trams system is ideal in its modeling potential.

I think there are a few issue with them but once you over come the mindset it has an open field of growth.

Inobu 

For anyone looking for sound for the Greenmover LEX here are two You Tube sound videos.  Videos by tanikou768.

• bill937ca changed the title to Kato Hiroshima Electric Railway (Hiroden) Trams

For those not familiar with the German tram Kato has reissued in N gauge here is  a video taken inside the car.  Video by Nimo5.

• Like 2

Did a little more testing (playing??) with temporary layouts.  As I am sure Rich Kerr will tell you, many N gauge trams stall at crossovers because the track gauge is about the same as the typical tram wheelbase.  Also tested if the headlights stay on went crossing the crossovers.  So much play!!

My videos. The background noise is from another condo.  The background is my motley collection of buildings, man of which will get some work.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

Yes, at low operating speeds 4-wheel (2-axle) trams can stall at crossing frogs. and often also on the Tomix "mini" points/track switches with the plastic frog. There is a second problem if the axle mountings are rigid (with limited possible motion) and the 2 axles cannot move out of parallel vertically from each other. Then, if the plastic frog is not absolutely level with the top of the metal rails, the wheel on the frog will be lifted up slightly. When this happens, it and the diagonal opposite wheel make a fulcrum, and the truck (bogie) can rock slightly on it, lifting one of the other two diagonally opposite wheels up off the rail. You then have a situation where only one wheel is making contact with one rail, while 2 wheels are still contacting the other rail. This greatly reduces the reliability of the electrical contact. With the new Kato Greenmover LEX, having 2 electrically-independent drive units, it would really help if there was some way to connect 2 thin wires from one unit to the other, in effect making it electrically similar to a 8-wheel (4-axle), 2-bogie tram. The same thing could be done with the Kato/Lemke German tram-trailer 2-car trains, and even the old Model Power motor-trailer trolley sets. It would greatly improve operation. The more redundant electrical pathways there are between the rail and the motor, the better. Another option, if you are a serious machinist, would be to modify the mounting hole(s) for one axle so that it is supported at its center and can "rock" vertically in the chassis. The general concept is known as an "equalized" design instead of a rigid design, and is frequently done in larger scales.

Rich K.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, bill937ca said:

Eating crow today. The Greenmover LEX is such a good performer I want more and last night I ordered the PIcollo / Picolla two-car set. Can't wait!

LOL! With stuffing, mash potatoes, gravy and peas Bill? You are starting to make me think I need just one more tram...

I do have all the other green movers...

jeff

• Haha 1
  • bill937ca changed the title to Kato Hiroshima Electric Railway (Hiroden) Greenmover LEX Trams