Gavino's Historical Train Evolution Thread

gavino200

This is a placeholder for an idea that came about though a conversation with @disturbman I've developed an interest over the last year or two in collecting historical series of trains. For example ICE4, 3, T, 2, 1. or InterCity Epoch VI, V, IV etc. This began with my German trains, but it's now bleeding into my main collection which is Japanese. I also like to learn about trains this way by following historical details through time. 

So basically, I'm going to pick trains that I like and follow their history backward in time. If anyone wants to contribute, that would be very welcome. If not, I'll plod along by myself. 🙂

I'm going to take a very loose definition of "train" (and probably everything else). For example, I'm going to consider "Shinkansen" as one "train". I'll make a simple geneology chart and try to understand any major changes in direction or splits in design. 

I'm then going to try to list all of the models ever released for the whole pedigree chart. Likely, I'll try to pick them all up at some stage, but in no hurry. I already buy way too many trains. 

Another favorite train of mine is the NEX. But I'll probably broaden this to the catagory of those weird trains with a door in the front and a high cab window above like the Azusa. there's a whole bunch. 

Sometimes I may be specific. I already discussed the "marunouchi" in another thread. I'll carry that stuff over here and pad it out. I don't think I'll broaden it to "subways" or "Tokyo metro" subways. 

• Like 4

Favorite Train: Marunouchi Subway

I'm not sure why I like this train so much. I first saw it in the Tokyo Subway Museum. The red color and wave design are distinctive, but the name was also striking to me. It sounds Japanese and Italian at the same time. Somehow it was easier for my brain to remember the sound of the word than many Japanese words. There was a video screen installed in the car that showed a film about the history of the line. Between the movie and the car itself it made an impression on all three of us. We saw the basic three car set a few days later at the Kato Hobby Center and bought it. They didn't have the add on, but we were able to pick it up from Nariichi a week later. Every time I see the Marunouchi it reminds me of our time in Japan. I really like the design of the new 2000 series and am looking forward to someone releasing a model of it. 

image.thumb.png.5aafdf5e2a277943376d9112928fce21.png

The following information is paraphrased from a post by Sander and wikipedia. From recent to older, going back in time.

A fleet of 53 new Tokyo Metro 2000 series six-car trains was scheduled to be introduced from fiscal 2018, replacing the 02 series trains by fiscal 2022.[6] On February 23, 2019, the 2000 series started operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_Marunouchi_Line#/media/File:Marunouchi_Line_2000_Korakuen_20190302a.jpg

Marunouchi Line services are operated using a fleet of 53 Tokyo Metro 02 series six-car EMUs in service since 1988 together with six three-car sets used on Hōnanchō branch services. All trains are based at Koishikawa and Nakano Depots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_Marunouchi_Line#/media/File:Tokyometro02-102.JPG

TRTA 900 Series

TRTA 500 Series 

https://trafficnews.jp/photo/79109#photo38

TRTA 400 Series

TRTA 300 Series

TRTA 100 Series

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/general-view-of-the-opening-ceremony-of-the-subway-news-photo/1262023845

The 500/300 type you mentioned is close to the earliest units to run on the Marunouchi line, as the 300 type cars were the first to run on the line when it opened in 1954 with the 400 and 500 types following closely after this (1956 and 1957 respectively). Though the Kato model reflects the later period, when they ran in fixed 6 car formations with only 500 type cars in the leading positions. So technically, if Kato would ever produce one of the original compositions (*hint hint*), you'd be forced to buy one 😉.

In 1962 ten 100 type cars built in 1937 which had originally been built for the Tōkyō rapid railway, (which had built and operated the subway line between Shimbashi and Shibuya, now part of the Ginza Line, between 1938 and 1941) were used on the Marunouchi Branch Line. They were technically the oldest cars to run on the Marunouchi Line, though never on the main line. Unfortunately, As far as I know, no model of the 100 type, as they ran on the branch line, has ever been released*.

There were also a number of Ginza line 2000 series cars used on the branch line, starting in 1968 (they were brought in as replacements for the 100 types) and ending in 1993. Tomytec has released a model of the 2000 series a few years ago: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10553533

* IIRC, Tomytec released a combined set containing a single 1000 type car and a 100 type car, both in their original guise, for the Subway museum a number of years ago. Though no full length set was ever released as far as I know

Models Produced

Kato Marunouchi 02 Series 6-car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10205606

Kato Marunouchi 500/300 6-car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182072

Tomytec Eidan Subway Type 2000 3 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10553533

Some of my pics

My wife and son (red and blue) inside a marunouchi car at the subway museum

YSOVvbf.jpg

Slightly out of focus - my first sight of the marunouchi model. One of the many many amazing subway models at the subway museum. I was mesmerized by these subway models. Probably why I developed an attachment to the model. When I saw the base set at Kato a few days later jumped at it. Luckily, Nariichi was able to get me the add-on set. I picked it up in person the next week. 

9QUCt4d.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Favorite Train: Shinkansen 

I'm treating the Shinkansen as one "Train" with a complex genealogy pedigree. I'll make no attempt to give a history of the Shinkansen here. I'm guessing everyone who ever uses this site has at seen at least one documentary. Instead I'll add what ever factoids I can find to help me understand the various turns and inflection points in the family tree. 

My story with the Shinkansen is very basic. As a kid I know about the famous "Bullet Train" from a "Trains of the World" book that I had. The next piece of Shinkansen information that I received was seeing a cartoon version of the 200 Series in the kids movie "Cars 2" when my son was young. "Oh the Bullet Train has been updated, I thought". A couple of years later, with my son, I got back into model trains. We veered toward Kato as the quality and reliability of US manufacturers is a bit suspect". One day searching ebay for Kato trains I say a basic H5 Hyabusa set for sale. I was blown away by it. Actually, I thought if must have been a fictional fantasy train. It looked so futuristic. I had no idea things like that currently existed on earth. Immediately it became our favorite train. A while later, I found this site while looking for help converting a Kato C-62, and through JNS I became aware of the vast plethora of Shinkansen out there. We went to Japan in 2017, and were able to finally ride a few of these things. We rode the Tokaido line to the Nagoya Maglev museum. But my favorite trip was a trip that we made to Sendai solely as an excuse to ride the H5 and H6. This was amazing. I know I should see the model as a replica of the prototype. But I saw this train as a giant version of my favorite model train. It was like miniaturizing myself to ride inside my Kato Hyabusa! I was a bit shocked when I found JNS at how many Shinkansens people had in their collection. There's no mystery about it anymore. I too must have them all. Lord hep me. 

Second attempt at a basic genealogy scheme. Courtesy of information provided below by Sander ( @200系)

image.thumb.png.7bfa6da8fedef845d242ea6b18072220.png

In trying to understand the information given to me by Sander for the above chart, I asked some basic questions. What I got back are a set of excellently written, and very informative answers. It would be a real shame not to share, so here they are below in Q&A format. 

Q: 1.  I don't fully know the difference between type and series. I assume series is a major overhaul (a different 'train') while type is a minor change. But some of the types are experimental types, like the Alfa-X. I've put these types in grey. But are others actual production subtypes?

This answer is an amalgam of answers from @disturbman and @200系

(From D'man)

系 is series and 番台 indicates the sub-series. 700系7000番台 means 700 (series)-7000 (subseries).

Sub-serie numbers mark differences in equipment, weatherization and/or production runs; the Kiha 40-100 were produced for extreme cold weather (Hokkaido) whereas -1000 and -2000 were produced for warm weather. The -2000 is equipped with a toilet whereas the -1000 isn't. They can also change after a renewal; the E257-2000 and -2500 series are refurbished versions of the E257-0 and -500; JR Hokkaido remodeled its Kiha 40-100 into -700 which were remodeled into -1700.

形 means type. And seems to have been solely used for prototype trains. 9XX indicates a prototype train. Sander will better explain the difference between series

(From Sander)

The difference between a series (系 (kei)-> system or series), type (形 (gata) -> shape/form or type) and Sub-type/sub-series (番台 (bandai)) is based around the way the shinkansen numbering system works. The shinkansen, being entirely independent of the main railway network, introduced a new numbering system to the National Railroad. Though this system was based on the J.N.R. 1959 vehicle regulations, which introduced the concept of series (this was the first time the kanji 系 would be used to denote a specific class, before this the kanji 形 was used in combination with for example MoHa (in katakana), e.g. the new モハ90形 (MoHa90 Gata, or MoHa 90 type) became the well known 101系 (or 101 series)), the shinkansen numbering system would ditch the use of katakana for a purely numerically based system, this will be explained a few paragraphs below.

The easiest way to look at it, is that series is used for the encompassing idea or concept, I think the closest English word, at least in terms of the idea behind it, would be a class.

The use of type is a bit more complicated, in the sense that it can have multiple meanings. In relation to my chart, it is important to start with one of them first.

While the passenger carrying formations of the shinkansen were to be classified as series (eventually, but we'll get back to that later), non passenger carrying equipment was classified using the type designator. This included inspection units, but also test trains. It's these trains I'm referring to in my chart. So the 1000 type, 951 type, 961 type, 962 type etc. are all test trains, and they are all their own individual designs.

Another use within the shinkansen system, is for the individual cars themselves, however I didn't factor this into the chart

Sub-type is usually used when there are significant changes made to a design, this can be both structural (i.e. significant design changes during construction) or operational, and can even be for slight difference within the same production batch like for example different facilities (e.g. a working station for the conductor, an extra row of seats etc.)  

For a better understanding of the numbering system, let's have a look at one of the pictures you posted, the one of the 700 series.

We're looking at 724-3008 -> This tells us it's a 724 type car, of the 3000 sub-series. 

Now to expand this further, let's dissect the actual meaning of all this:

- The hundreds refer to the series this car belongs to, in this case it's 7xx which means it's part of the 700 series.

- The tens refer to the passenger accommodations, 10's are green car (pre-1969, 1st class) 20's ordinary (2nd class) 30's food related cars, 40's green car (double decks) 50's ordinary car (double decks) 60's food related (double decks) and 70's mixed green/ordinary (double decks).

for our example 72x means it's an ordinary car.

- the singles refer to the technical details of the car, whether it contains any traction motors (1/2/5/6 and 7), a drivers cab (1/2 and 3/4) certain passenger facilities (odd cars, 1/3/5/7 and 9 contain toilets for example)

In this case 724 means that it's a driving trailer, on the Tōkyō side of the train.

- We already went over the general idea behind the different sub-types, and this is an excellent chance to take this into practice.

the 3000 sub-type range is normally reserved for the shinkansen of JR West. Depending on the series this may mean some changes in comparison to the 0 sub-types used by JR Tōkai (Central) (this includes the 100 series V formations and the 700 series B formations), or more or less identical specifications (300 series F formations, N700 series N formations -> N700a (+2000= 5000 sub-type) K formations).

For our example, it means we are looking at a JR West 700 series B formation (formation B8 actually, looking at the number).

A few examples from my own pictures (you know you have a serious problem when you can choose between multiple different pictures of just car numbers...)

image.thumb.png.3ec76283ee485b4ed41d338622d1866a.png

222 type, 1500 sub-type. This is a powered end car (Morioka side) of 200 series formation K21.

The 1500 sub-type was introduced in 1984 as a minor change car of the 200 series 1000 sub-type cars, introduced in 1983 (first 240km/h capable formations). The only cars within this sub-type were 221/222 type cars (end cars), they were identical to the 200 series 1000 sub-type cars with the exception of the addition of an extra row of seats (and therefore an additional window).

Formation K21 was special in that she contained six 200 series 0 sub-type cars (originally part of formation E30 built in March of 1982), the last of the 0 sub-types still in service at that point. When she retired, those cars were about 29 years and 9 months old, just a hair shy of the 30 year marker. This remains, to this date, the record for the longest running shinkansen ever.

image.thumb.png.1125989b510c32f950239a073f80691f.png

The very first. Originally built in March of 1964 as 1000 type formation C (though without numbers attached), she was the first 0 series shinkansen to be built.

It gives a good example of the early system of numbering. The 2 digit number shows the lack of a series designator, and the same can be said for the car number. These missing numbers would later result in them being known as the 0 series 0 sub-type (after the introduction of the 0 series 1000 sub-type cars in 1976). She was retired as part of formation H1 in 1977 and moved to the Ōsaka museum of modern transportation, and in 2015 to the Kyōto railway museum where this picture was taken.

image.thumb.png.4eb54ff1de51ff388b2c7b23fd312433.png

700 series C formation (C17) green car, 718 type car. 700 series 0 sub-type formations C11~C18 were transferred from JR Tōkai to JR West in 2011, in order to replace the same number of 300 series F formations. C17 was retired in April of 2016, less than half a year after I took this picture.

image.thumb.png.d9e8932532be71010e893aa2658161d4.png

With the N700 series, a slightly modified system was adopted, using numbers in the 70's and 80's as opposed to the 10's and 20's.

The N700 series 2000 sub-types are former N700 series 0 sub-types upgraded to N700a (small a) standard.

This formation, X23, was retired a short while ago, on the 16th of March.

image.thumb.png.9b824dc13e2efaf2580d899880239baf.png

922 type 20 sub-type, formation T3, or the 3rd Doctor Yellow formation. Though not officially a part of the 0 series, formation T3 was built as part of production batch 27 of the 0 series 1000 sub-type (batch 22~29).

Q2   I'll have to look into why the 200 predates the 100, a bit counter-intuitive.

There's a relatively simple answer for that. The Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen form a separate network from the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen, and this was especially true in the beginning. Nowadays, both shinkansen terminate at Tōkyō station, though even today there is no physical connection between both networks (they simply terminate next to one-another), this was even more the case in June of 1982 when the Tōhoku Shinkansen opened, as the new line would only run between Ōmiya and Morioka at that point in time. The section between Ueno and Ōmiya would open in March of 1985, and the final section into Tōkyō station wasn't completed until June of 1991 (originally just with a single island platform, the current setup (2 island platforms) wouldn't open until the opening of the Nagano shinkansen in 1997, but I digress).

Ad to this the fact that both systems have a number of technical differences, chief among them the frequency used for the power supply (25Kv 60hz for the Tōkaidō/Sanyō shinkansen and 25Kv 50hz for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen), as well as a newly developed ATC (Automatic Train Control) system (ATC-2).

As such the new trains for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen would be incompatible with the other shinkansen. As this was still during the J.N.R. era, both fleets had to be managed separately. For this reason it was decided to use a different numbering system (in terms of the series) for the North/Eastern and the Western shinkansen system. The western shinkansen would be using odd numbers, while the north/eastern shinkansen would use even numbers.

Therefore, the new trains for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen would receive the first available even number, and become the 200 series. For the Tōkaidō Sanyō Shinkansen, this was slightly more complicated. Before the introduction of the 200 series, none of the cars built as part of what we now refer to as the 0 series, had even received a official series designation. This was partly because when the 0 series was introduced there were of course no other series to confuse them with, a situation which was compounded by J.N.R. kept building new 0 series cars year after year, and also by the fact that the 0 series had been developed as a stop gap measure, a temporary solution, until a faster successor was to be available in the 1970's , hence there was no need for a official designation. This changed of course, when the 200 series was introduced, and since they had no official series designation, they were to be known from that point on as the 0 series.

Therefore, when J.N.R. started to develop a successor to the 0 series in the mid 1980's, the new train would receive the first available, odd, number which was the 100 series.

So that's why, in a nutshell, the 200 series was actually constructed before the 100 series.

Q3.  I agree about the basic level of the article [that emphasized two main branches of the Shinkansen family based on a North/cold weather and West/warm weather distinction].  But do you not think there's something to the idea of a basic split between the warm and cold climate trains?

There's truth in that, the northern shinkansen do have to contend with harsher winter conditions than the other shinkansen, and this also means that the northern shinkansen have a number of counter measures against the snow. However, there is some variation between the different series, with the 200 series having a number of measures against the accumulation of snow (body mount structure, snow separation compartments) that were absent in later series because the measures taken at the infrastructural level proved to be quite effective (hot water sprinklers). And more importantly, it seems like framing it this way suggests they are simply cold and warm weather variants of the same general train type, like certain diesel locomotives or the main differences between the 113 and the 115 series, while the shinkansen from both networks developed along their own, separate paths. It also fails to take into account that the shinkansen of JR east developed along different lines because of the different nature of the areas they serve, and the different operational realities this creates. For example, the reason why JR east invested into double decks shinkansen in the 1990's, is because with the opening of the Ueno - Tōkyō extension of the Tōhoku shinkansen a number of towns along the JR East shinkansen, like Oyama, Utsunomiya and Nasushiobara, were now within commuting distance from the center of Tōkyō resulting in an increase in commuting traffic.

As such, while I agree that it is a effective, and not entirely inaccurate way of looking at both networks, I just don't think it doesn't do the subject justice.

Though like I mentioned, for some reason I don't think I'm the target audience for this article, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Q4.  I'm assuming the years given are different production runs?

The years are actually referring to the year of introduction. If there are 2 dates, it means the first date is the appearance of a pre-production formation, while the second number refers to the first production formations. I thought it would be better to leave this information out to keep it from becoming too cluttered (the production of the 0 series alone, being built between 1964 and 1986, spanned 3 different sub-types and 38 different production batches, and that's not even getting into the different formations). Should there be interest in something like that, It'll be no problem at all to create something like that, but it may take a while to finish.

A few of my pictures from vacation

2rHGsA4.jpg

D1QakH5.jpg

pXySP9G.jpg

0JaCZKN.jpg

5dnipe6.jpg

j0TeOFL.jpg

Shinkansen Models

0 Series

Tomix Large window early type Kodama

8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10714048

Micro Ace 0-0/0-1000 (blue line) Royal Train 8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10668379

Micro Ace 0-1000 4 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10423439

Micro Ace 0-1000 2 car set

Experiment on high speed rail

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10423438

Micro Ace 0 -1000 R14 Hikari 6 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10267206

Micro Ace Series 0 NH49 + hikari 8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10267203

Micro Ace Superexpress Hikari 8+4

100 Series

Kato Grand Hikari 

6+6+4

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10765745

Micro Ace 100-9000 X1 formation 8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10668379

200 Series

200 Series 6+7+3

Tomix Tohoku pinstripe livery

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10368106

Mirco Ace 200-0 pinstripe 8+4

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10223400

Micro Ace 200-1000 Blue/white nenewal livery 6+4

300 Series

Tomix 300-3000 6+4+6

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10553781

Micro Ace Tokaido/Sanyo Single arm panto 8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10168189

400 Series

500 Series

Tomix Nozomi 4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10646449

Tomix 500-70000 sanyo kodama 8-car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10690369

Tomix 500-7000 Sanyo Evangelion 8 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10402431

Tomix 500 Nozomi Sayonara series 16 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116468

Kato 500 Nozomi 4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116468

700 Series

Kato 8+8 Nozomi

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10689225

Tomix 700-0 16 car set - Ambitious Japan

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10766316

Tomix 700-0 16 car set - Arigato

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10683650

N700 Series

Kato 4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10062433

Tomix N700-4000 8+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10646449

Tomix N700-8000 3+5

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10132158

N700A Series

Kato 4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222887

Tomix N700A/N700-1000  4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10230161

N700S Series

Tomix 4+4+8

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10736956

800 Series

Tomix Kyushu Series 800-1000 6 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10743739

Kato Sakura/Tsubame 6 car

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10150093

Tomix Tsubame 3+3

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10039256

E1

Tomix  E1 Tokoku/Joetsu 12 car set

Grey/white livery

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10490599

Tomix E1 6+6 "Ibis birth" 

white/pink/blue livery

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10205566

Kato E1 4+4

Grey/white livery

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=E1+shinkansen&spage=2

E2

Tomix E2-1000 3+3+4

Kato E2-1000 Yamabiko, Toki 6+4

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10772861

E3

Tomix E3-2000 3+7+6

E4

E5

Kato 3+3+4 Hyabusa

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10765745

Tomix 4+6 Hyabusa 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222592

Tomix 3+3+4 Hokkaido

E6

Tomix Komachi 3+4

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222592

E7/W7

Kato Hokuriku E7 3+3+6

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10689225

Tomix E7 Hokuriku 3+3+6

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10254818

Kato W7 Kokuriku 6+6

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10303941

Doctor Yellow

Type 923-3000 

Kato 3+4

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222887

Micro ace Type 922-0 4 car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10423437

Other Track test trains

Micro Ace Series 926 6-car set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10206567

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 2

Favorite train - The NEX

Narita Express - a limited express train from Narita Airport to Central Tokyo. Run by JR East. Operated under this name since 1991\

image.thumb.png.85c59bc91aa696f9b3d2893aad865471.png

Current rolling stock:

The somewhat iconic "Swollen head" E259 Series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E259_series#/media/File:N’EX_;The_Narita_Express.JPG

2009 - Present

A DC EMU. The fleet consists of 22 six-car sets. Usually two units run together as a 12 car train. 

Designed by industrial designer Kenji Ekuan. He also designed the E3 Shinkansen, and the previous NEX E259. He's best known for designing the Kikkoman soy sauce bottle!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Ekuan#/media/File:Kikkoman_soysauce.jpg

Immediate predecesor 

The 253 Series. Same red and white livery. Less distinctive front design. Looks like a droopy caterpillar. The four center cars look very similar to the current E259. Being familiar with the new NEX first, the 253 looks oddly incomplete. It's like someone sliced the face off a E259. "Quick, call OMFS! There's a major facial trauma in bay 1". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/253_series#/media/File:253_series_20080601.jpg

1991 - 2010 (withrawn from NEX service in 2010 but the two newest-built trains were redeployed on the Nikko and Kinugawa limited express services from 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkō_(train)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinugawa_(train)

Also designed by Kenji Ekuan. 

Originaly run as 3 and 6 car sets, the 3-car sets were removed in 2009.

There was also a single 583 service linking Aomori and Narita station.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/orohane10_25/archives/18480279.html

Ancestor Trains

The followoing paraphrased from @disturbman's excellent contribution:

Before opening the NEX, JR East ran two dedicated and temporary service using 183 Series:

1. The "Wing Odoriko", a six-car train to link Narita station and the Izukyu-Shimoda station;

http://www.uraken.net/rail/kokutetsu/183/odoriko2.jpg

2. The "Wing Express", a nine-car train linking Shinjuku with Narita station. 

https://www.torepa21.com/pic/c/c7ke183wing1jg.jpeg

Organization diagram for a "Wing Express" from 2003.
http://geo.d51498.com/henseilib/a/wing-e.htm

The "Wing Express" was revived between 2001 and 2004.
http://www.uraken.net/rail/kokutetsu/183/183wing.html

These trains both fulfil the NEX type of service (linking the airport) and the form ("swollen heads with a door at the front").
Both had a Kuha 183 with gangways.

There were also "Wing Azusa", which seemed to have been a nine-car 183 in Azusa color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjZIPUk5KQ
http://blog.livedoor.jp/railart/tag/あずさ
http://geo.d51498.com/henseilib/a/w-azusa.htm

Models produced.

E259

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138987

Kato https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10106386

Series 253

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10543244

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10011986

Series 183 (more work needed here)

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10472941

Not the winged express. Perhaps the decals could be changed

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10266424

A picture of mine from vacation

sGm2k41.jpg

Below a link to a great little video on the NEX.

Edited by gavino200
Not E253 but Series 253
  • Like 1
serotta1972
3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Favorite train - the NEX - but I think the post will be all those swollen head trains with a door on the front and cab windows above the door, like the Azusa. 

Also one of my favorites trains and not just because it was the first train I rode in Japan.  Love your description of the front end design - wasn't liking the 351 Series at first but after seeing and riding it, I grew to like it and so glad I was able to ride on one although it wasn't the most comfortable train ride as the AC wasn't working well in the Green car at that.  I got to ride the 353 2 years later and got to see it up close and personal at Shinjuku Station and later that afternoon I picked up the model from Nariichi at MTP.  

• Like 1

Ha, yes, I like descriptive names. My brain refuses to remember random numerical sequences unless very familiar with them. I just make up names myself for lots of the trains. I couldn't decide for the longest time if I liked this train style or not. They sometimes make me think of a Scolex (tapeworm). I didn't ride the NEX, but we saw them a lot and thought they looked cool. There may be also something to the fact that it had a simple name that myself and my son could remember. We were playing a train counting game when we were in Tokyo. We didn't have names for many of the trains. Eg the N700 was the "Blue and white" shinkansen. So the NEX became a familiar namable favorite. Like the Manunouchi we bought the base set at the Kato Hobby center and were lucky to pick up the add-on from Nariichi in person. I don't think the 353 was in service then, but we rode the regular "colored square" Azusa to Matsumoto and saw lots of purple scolex Super Azusus on the way. I probably still have some pictures of these on my hard drive. 

Edited by gavino200
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

They sometimes make me think of a Scolex (tapeworm).

LOL, as soon as I read that it really burped up in my head, I think my mind’s eye was seeing that!

jeff

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Favorite train - the NEX - but I think the post will be all those swollen head trains with a door on the front and cab windows above the door, like the Azusa. 

You are in luck, before opening the NEX, JR East ran two dedicated and temporary service using 183 Series: the "Wing Odoriko", a six-car train to link Narita station and the Izukyu-Shimoda station; and the "Wing Express", a nine-car train linking Shinjuku with Narita station. These trains both fulfil the NEX type of service (linking the airport) and the form ("swollen heads with a door at the front").

Six-car 183 "Wing Odoriko"
http://www.uraken.net/rail/kokutetsu/183/odoriko2.jpg

Nine-car 183 "Wing Express"
https://www.torepa21.com/pic/c/c7ke183wing1jg.jpeg

Both had a Kuha 183 with gangways.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
serotta1972
23 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Models Produced:

E259

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138987

Kato https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10106386

E253

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10543244

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10011986

Series 183 (more work needed here)

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10472941

Not the winged express. Perhaps the decals could be changed

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10266424

Here are the Kato 253 Models:

79586EAB-2312-48EA-BF95-4E96F9EA3040.thumb.jpeg.58c2fd00f107889f36d569e805dac176.jpeg965AB9C1-5248-4471-9951-D5612C4EDF11.thumb.jpeg.19fa501d853bbbdeeb1025c3673a2d07.jpegC25BCE9E-54CB-43DA-AEB9-26776C57E73D.thumb.jpeg.fd41978480855daa96a1fe203fb1577f.jpegA69C787D-7FCF-499C-9D5E-3B8B10ABFECB.thumb.jpeg.6190f9e0b6622acb0b04b1438811bda8.jpeg9A4958DA-7597-44AA-9376-15DBDBB2A5D9.thumb.jpeg.a062f22fe315fe4c9917c6eb989ffee0.jpegA25CC814-2052-4435-A1EF-E7DDADB490A6.thumb.jpeg.ea3ff02b50f2a72f1ef2c51b52cdef6f.jpeg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Thanks. I'll either hunt one down when I get to a less active buying stage, or I'll preorder on the next release. 

17 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Awesome! Thanks. I'll either hunt one down when I get to a less active buying stage, or I'll preorder on the next release. 

Tomix just rereleased a 253. I wouldn’t expect it to be rereleased so soon.

As far as I know, the 183s for these services have not been produced by anyone. It might be possible to find replacement stickers and head marks. I would expect both to have been run by a single unit, you would have to hunt which one to know the running-numbers. That’s a nice and slightly time consuming occupation. The six-car “Wing Odoriko” would probably be easier (and cheaper) to reproduce.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Tomix just rereleased a 253. I wouldn’t expect it to be rereleased so soon.

As far as I know, the 183s for these services have not been produced by anyone. It might be possible to find replacement stickers and head marks. I would expect both to have been run by a single unit, you would have to hunt which one to know the running-numbers. That’s a nice and slightly time consuming occupation. The six-car “Wing Odoriko” would probably be easier (and cheaper) to reproduce.

Hmmm, I may just have to buy that, then. 

There was also a single 583 service linking Aomori and Narita station.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/orohane10_25/archives/18480279.html

I also found a organization diagram for a "Wing Express" from 2003.
http://geo.d51498.com/henseilib/a/wing-e.htm

Apparently the "Wing Express" was revived between 2001 and 2004.
http://www.uraken.net/rail/kokutetsu/183/183wing.html

There were also "Wing Azusa", which seemed to have been a nine-car 183 in Azusa color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjZIPUk5KQ
http://blog.livedoor.jp/railart/tag/あずさ
http://geo.d51498.com/henseilib/a/w-azusa.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/21/2021 at 1:16 AM, gavino200 said:

First attempt at a basic genealogy scheme. Basically, it shows, as I understand it a single series, later split into two main groups, east and west. The fundamental difference being climate conditions. 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:16 AM, gavino200 said:

I'm going to base this post on the following page, and then hunt for all the main model variations.

https://www.spoon-tamago.com/2013/08/12/genealogy-of-japanese-shinkansens/

I wouldn't use that article as a baseline for the genealogy of the shinkansen if I were you. The author means well, but it is clear that it has been written both from a layman's perspective, as well as for a similar audience (not that there's anything wrong with that). It also contains numerous inaccuracies, though it would be beyond the scope of this thread to go deeper into them (and I'm trying to write something shinkansen related in less than 3000 words for once...).

Anyway, I made the following (simple) schematic representation for you, which should provide a more accurate representation of the evolution of the shinkansen:

1000 type (1962)

|                                                                    955 type (300X, 1994)---------|       |-----> 800 series (2003)             

|                                                                               |                                         |       |                                                 |->N700系7000/8000番台 (2009/2010)

0 series (1964) -> 100 series (1985/1986) -> 300 series (1990/1992) -> 700 series (1997/1999)-> N700 series (0/a/A)(2005/2007/2013) -> N700S (2018/2020)

|                                  ^                                                        |                      |-> 700系7000番台  (Hikari Railstar)    |         

|                                  |    500系900番台 (win350, 1992)  |                               |                                                     |         

951 type (1969)               |                 |--------------------------> 500 series (1996/1997) ----------------------|   

|                                  |

|                                  |

961 type (1973)               |

|                      ________|                                                      E355 type (Fastech 360Z 2006)---|

|                      |                   952/953 type (Star21, 1992)                                   |                       |                                   

962 type (1979)  |                                                                                                      X                      |

|            ______|   ---> 400 series (1990/1992)->      E3 series (1995/1996) -----> E6 series (2010/2012)

|            |             |                                                                          |                                            |

200 series (1980/1982) --------------------------->     E2 series (1995/1996/2002) -> E5 series (2009/2011) ------------- |

|                                                                                        |                   |-------->X                 ^     |   X-----> E7/W7 series (2013)

| --------------> E1 series (1994) - -----------------|                             X                           |     |

|                                                                                |                            |    |

|----------------> E4 series (1997)                     |                            |    |-------------------------> E956 type (Alfa-X, 2019)

|                            |

E954 type (Fastech 360S, 2005)---> |

In the interest of keeping it as simple as possible, I left out the different sub-types and formations groups needed to provided the complete picture (the 0 series alone has enough variations to fill up a very sizable chart on it's own, add to this the 200 series, 100 series and some of the more modern series like the E2 series and your looking at a lot of work). I included test trains (in italics) but have excluded the inspection vehicles (Doctor Yellow), as especially with the older variants there is some overlap with the different 0 series sub-types (922 types 10 and 20 sub-type formations (T2 and T3)) and the 200 series/962 type (925 type 0 and 10 sub-type (S1 and S2)) so they would fit better in a more detailed presentation.

If you want to, I can actually provide you with more detailed information, just realize that it will take some time, and I'm not sure when I can finish such a project, but I'm more than willing to help. If you have any further question with regards to the shinkansen, or any other questions in regards to the development of Japanese electric multiple units (though I'm better with older units than I am with more modern rolling stock) shoot me a message, and I'll see if I can be of further assistance.

Sander

Edited by 200系
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@200系 I copied your information in my own style to try to understand it. It's in the above post. Below are some questions, issues, confusions that I have.

1. Minor point - I can't read Kanji. I know a decent bit of Hanzi and can guess at some of them, but I'd prefer to use only roman script. 

2. I don't fully know the difference between type and series. I assume series is a major overhaul (a different 'train') while type is a minor change. But some of the types are experimental types, like the Alfa-X. I've put these types in grey. But are others actual production subtypes?

3.  I'll have to look into why the 200 predates the 100, a bit counter-intuitive.

4. I agree about the basic level of the article. But do you not think there's something to the idea of a basic split between the warm and cold climate trains?

5. I'm assuming the years given are different production runs?

Edited by gavino200
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

@200系 I copied your information in my own style to try to understand it. Below are some questions, issues, confusions that I have.

1. Minor point - I can't read Kanji. I know a decent bit of Hanzi and can guess at some of them, but I'd prefer to use only roman script.
2. I don't fully know the difference between type and series.

系 is series and 番台 indicates the sub-series. 700系7000番台 means 700 (series)-7000 (subseries).

Sub-serie numbers mark differences in equipment, weatherization and/or production runs; the Kiha 40-100 were produced for extreme cold weather (Hokkaido) whereas -1000 and -2000 were produced for warm weather. The -2000 is equipped with a toilet whereas the -1000 isn't. They can also change after a renewal; the E257-2000 and -2500 series are refurbished versions of the E257-0 and -500; JR Hokkaido remodeled its Kiha 40-100 into -700 which were remodeled into -1700.

形 means type. And seems to have been solely used for prototype trains. 9XX indicates a prototype train. Sander will better explain the difference between series and type.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, disturbman said:

形 means type. And seems to have been solely used for prototype trains. 9XX indicates a prototype train. Sander will better explain the difference between series and type.

Thanks. I adjusted the chart based on this information, and a mistake I noticed.

@gavino200, No problem at all.

1) My apologies, because of the formatting they wouldn't fit in if typed out, I could've used N700-7000 or something similar, but I only thought about it later...

2) To add to the explanation by @disturbman,

The difference between a series (系 (kei)-> system or series), type (形 (gata) -> shape/form or type) and Sub-type/sub-series (番台 (bandai)) is based around the way the shinkansen numbering system works. The shinkansen, being entirely independent of the main railway network, introduced a new numbering system to the National Railroad. Though this system was based on the J.N.R. 1959 vehicle regulations, which introduced the concept of series (this was the first time the kanji 系 would be used to denote a specific class, before this the kanji 形 was used in combination with for example MoHa (in katakana), e.g. the new モハ90形 (MoHa90 Gata, or MoHa 90 type) became the well known 101系 (or 101 series)), the shinkansen numbering system would ditch the use of katakana for a purely numerically based system, this will be explained a few paragraphs below.

The easiest way to look at it, is that series is used for the encompassing idea or concept, I think the closest English word, at least in terms of the idea behind it, would be a class.

The use of type is a bit more complicated, in the sense that it can have multiple meanings. In relation to my chart, it is important to start with one of them first.

While the passenger carrying formations of the shinkansen were to be classified as series (eventually, but we'll get back to that later), non passenger carrying equipment was classified using the type designator. This included inspection units, but also test trains. It's these trains I'm referring to in my chart. So the 1000 type, 951 type, 961 type, 962 type etc. are all test trains, and they are all their own individual designs.

Another use within the shinkansen system, is for the individual cars themselves, however I didn't factor this into the chart

Sub-type is usually used when there are significant changes made to a design, this can be both structural (i.e. significant design changes during construction) or operational, and can even be for slight difference within the same production batch like for example different facilities (e.g. a working station for the conductor, an extra row of seats etc.)  

For a better understanding of the numbering system, let's have a look at one of the pictures you posted, the one of the 700 series.

We're looking at 724-3008 -> This tells us it's a 724 type car, of the 3000 sub-series. 

Now to expand this further, let's dissect the actual meaning of all this:

- The hundreds refer to the series this car belongs to, in this case it's 7xx which means it's part of the 700 series.

- The tens refer to the passenger accommodations, 10's are green car (pre-1969, 1st class) 20's ordinary (2nd class) 30's food related cars, 40's green car (double decks) 50's ordinary car (double decks) 60's food related (double decks) and 70's mixed green/ordinary (double decks).

for our example 72x means it's an ordinary car.

- the singles refer to the technical details of the car, whether it contains any traction motors (1/2/5/6 and 7), a drivers cab (1/2 and 3/4) certain passenger facilities (odd cars, 1/3/5/7 and 9 contain toilets for example)

In this case 724 means that it's a driving trailer, on the Tōkyō side of the train.

- We already went over the general idea behind the different sub-types, and this is an excellent chance to take this into practice.

the 3000 sub-type range is normally reserved for the shinkansen of JR West. Depending on the series this may mean some changes in comparison to the 0 sub-types used by JR Tōkai (Central) (this includes the 100 series V formations and the 700 series B formations), or more or less identical specifications (300 series F formations, N700 series N formations -> N700a (+2000= 5000 sub-type) K formations).

For our example, it means we are looking at a JR West 700 series B formation (formation B8 actually, looking at the number).

A few examples from my own pictures (you know you have a serious problem when you can choose between multiple different pictures of just car numbers...)

DSCF1354

222 type, 1500 sub-type. This is a powered end car (Morioka side) of 200 series formation K21.

The 1500 sub-type was introduced in 1984 as a minor change car of the 200 series 1000 sub-type cars, introduced in 1983 (first 240km/h capable formations). The only cars within this sub-type were 221/222 type cars (end cars), they were identical to the 200 series 1000 sub-type cars with the exception of the addition of an extra row of seats (and therefore an additional window).

Formation K21 was special in that she contained six 200 series 0 sub-type cars (originally part of formation E30 built in March of 1982), the last of the 0 sub-types still in service at that point. When she retired, those cars were about 29 years and 9 months old, just a hair shy of the 30 year marker. This remains, to this date, the record for the longest running shinkansen ever.

DSC_0184

The very first. Originally built in March of 1964 as 1000 type formation C (though without numbers attached), she was the first 0 series shinkansen to be built.

It gives a good example of the early system of numbering. The 2 digit number shows the lack of a series designator, and the same can be said for the car number. These missing numbers would later result in them being known as the 0 series 0 sub-type (after the introduction of the 0 series 1000 sub-type cars in 1976). She was retired as part of formation H1 in 1977 and moved to the Ōsaka museum of modern transportation, and in 2015 to the Kyōto railway museum where this picture was taken.

DSC_0989

700 series C formation (C17) green car, 718 type car. 700 series 0 sub-type formations C11~C18 were transferred from JR Tōkai to JR West in 2011, in order to replace the same number of 300 series F formations. C17 was retired in April of 2016, less than half a year after I took this picture.

DSC_0469

With the N700 series, a slightly modified system was adopted, using numbers in the 70's and 80's as opposed to the 10's and 20's.

The N700 series 2000 sub-types are former N700 series 0 sub-types upgraded to N700a (small a) standard.

This formation, X23, was retired a short while ago, on the 16th of March.

DSC_0963

922 type 20 sub-type, formation T3, or the 3rd Doctor Yellow formation. Though not officially a part of the 0 series, formation T3 was built as part of production batch 27 of the 0 series 1000 sub-type (batch 22~29).

3) There's a relatively simple answer for that. The Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen form a separate network from the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen, and this was especially true in the beginning. Nowadays, both shinkansen terminate at Tōkyō station, though even today there is no physical connection between both networks (they simply terminate next to one-another), this was even more the case in June of 1982 when the Tōhoku Shinkansen opened, as the new line would only run between Ōmiya and Morioka at that point in time. The section between Ueno and Ōmiya would open in March of 1985, and the final section into Tōkyō station wasn't completed until June of 1991 (originally just with a single island platform, the current setup (2 island platforms) wouldn't open until the opening of the Nagano shinkansen in 1997, but I digress).

Ad to this the fact that both systems have a number of technical differences, chief among them the frequency used for the power supply (25Kv 60hz for the Tōkaidō/Sanyō shinkansen and 25Kv 50hz for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen), as well as a newly developed ATC (Automatic Train Control) system (ATC-2).

As such the new trains for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen would be incompatible with the other shinkansen. As this was still during the J.N.R. era, both fleets had to be managed separately. For this reason it was decided to use a different numbering system (in terms of the series) for the North/Eastern and the Western shinkansen system. The western shinkansen would be using odd numbers, while the north/eastern shinkansen would use even numbers.

Therefore, the new trains for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen would receive the first available even number, and become the 200 series. For the Tōkaidō Sanyō Shinkansen, this was slightly more complicated. Before the introduction of the 200 series, none of the cars built as part of what we now refer to as the 0 series, had even received a official series designation. This was partly because when the 0 series was introduced there were of course no other series to confuse them with, a situation which was compounded by J.N.R. kept building new 0 series cars year after year, and also by the fact that the 0 series had been developed as a stop gap measure, a temporary solution, until a faster successor was to be available in the 1970's , hence there was no need for a official designation. This changed of course, when the 200 series was introduced, and since they had no official series designation, they were to be known from that point on as the 0 series.

Therefore, when J.N.R. started to develop a successor to the 0 series in the mid 1980's, the new train would receive the first available, odd, number which was the 100 series.

So that's why, in a nutshell, the 200 series was actually constructed before the 100 series.

4) There's truth in that, the northern shinkansen do have to contend with harsher winter conditions than the other shinkansen, and this also means that the northern shinkansen have a number of counter measures against the snow. However, there is some variation between the different series, with the 200 series having a number of measures against the accumulation of snow (body mount structure, snow separation compartments) that were absent in later series because the measures taken at the infrastructural level proved to be quite effective (hot water sprinklers). And more importantly, it seems like framing it this way suggests they are simply cold and warm weather variants of the same general train type, like certain diesel locomotives or the main differences between the 113 and the 115 series, while the shinkansen from both networks developed along their own, separate paths. It also fails to take into account that the shinkansen of JR east developed along different lines because of the different nature of the areas they serve, and the different operational realities this creates. For example, the reason why JR east invested into double decks shinkansen in the 1990's, is because with the opening of the Ueno - Tōkyō extension of the Tōhoku shinkansen a number of towns along the JR East shinkansen, like Oyama, Utsunomiya and Nasushiobara, were now within commuting distance from the center of Tōkyō resulting in an increase in commuting traffic.

As such, while I agree that it is a effective, and not entirely inaccurate way of looking at both networks, I just don't think it doesn't do the subject justice.

Though like I mentioned, for some reason I don't think I'm the target audience for this article, and there's nothing wrong with that.

5) The years are actually referring to the year of introduction. If there are 2 dates, it means the first date is the appearance of a pre-production formation, while the second number refers to the first production formations. I thought it would be better to leave this information out to keep it from becoming too cluttered (the production of the 0 series alone, being built between 1964 and 1986, spanned 3 different sub-types and 38 different production batches, and that's not even getting into the different formations). Should there be interest in something like that, It'll be no problem at all to create something like that, but it may take a while to finish.

Anyway, It's getting really late here, so I'll have to end it here.

I'll get back to you with regards to the chart you made, there are still some errors in it, so I'll see if I can help you further at a later moment.

Sander

Edited by 200系
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, 200系 said:

@gavino200,

I'm working on a more detailed reply for you, so keep an eye on this space 😉 .

Awesome. The way you drew that excellent chart up looks really difficult. I made my chart using a free program called "freemind". I really like it. I use it for all kinds of things.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page