And today's M7.2 featuring tsunami alert comes to you from...

railsquid

In case anyone would like to relive the excitement:

(but imagine the first 30 seconds are showing Spongebob being chased by a sea urchin)

• Like 3
9 hours ago, railsquid said:

Worse, it interrupted Spongebob.

OMG, that was a true natural disaster! Sure you were not just laughing too hard at spongebob and earthquake ensued?

growing up on a ship we didn’t have a bath tub, it was either a shower onboard or a wine barrel bath on the dock (vertical bathtub). I use to love visiting my grandparents as I got to have real bathtub play in and the bathtub resonance tsunami (where you get the water rocking and then stop hard in the middle for the wave to crash on you) was a very memorable treat!

jeff

• Haha 1

Someone uploaded Spongebob video during the earthquake but I was distracted by Plankton's japanese voice (sounds like a kawaii girl or something like that)

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We always watch it on the English subchannel, on general principles (same goes for Thomas, Curious George and Miffy, though obviously not Pingu).

• Like 1

I’m horrified as the English version in Japan, Thomas now has an American accent. I have many American friends but please leave Thomas with a British accent as he’s a British engine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

I’m horrified as the English version in Japan, Thomas now has an American accent. I have many American friends but please leave Thomas with a British accent as he’s a British engine.

That started when Thomas went all "intercultural" for a worldwide audience, I don't think it's specific to Japan. Really gets on my nerves, that and those little condescending moral lectures he gives at the end of each episode. Still, I suspect it won't be too much longer before this household loses interest in Thomas, and hopefully any NHK children's programme which involves dancing and singing, possibly in an animal suit.

Edited by railsquid

Oohhh can we say Barney?! Dancing, singing, character in a big animal suit!

ive watched this happen at all levels of children’s’ education stuff. Something becomes popular and works well and has a sweet period, then it grows again (now under executive controls now, not the creators or educators, they are usually taken out and shot at this point) and tries to become a Swiss Army knife and ends up doing little well and many things badly. Also they then try to penetrate it into all aspects of life and of course you get very sick of it very fast...

jeff

maihama eki

I've lost track of how many different languages I've watched "The Simpsons" in. Always fun to see how Homer's voice comes out dubbed in Korean or French or...

I watched "Sudden Impact" (Dirty Harry)  in German.  The "Make my Day" lines were not translated...  Everything else was obviously dubbed...

• Haha 2

Looks like it would sound ok

Mach weiter Punk, mach meinen Tag (at least what Google thinks it would be...)

jeff

On 3/31/2021 at 4:43 AM, fpav_2125 said:

Someone uploaded Spongebob video during the earthquake but I was distracted by Plankton's japanese voice (sounds like a kawaii girl or something like that)

They repeated that episode tonight, so I finally found out how they dealt with the sea urchin infestation.

Also had to explain what a sea urchin was to the Squidlet, as he naturally assumed they were fighting a coronavirus.

• Haha 2
TokyoImperialPalace

The effects seems to have been a little more severe than previous earthquakes considering the light damage and service suspensions dotted around Tokyo (plenty of water mains broken), but the earthquake near the beginning of the year felt worse due to its length (this one was an initial shock but calmed down quickly).

It took my by surprise that so much of the rail network was suspended. I presume it was just for checks? I was inside a building so may have been insulated from the effects but it did not feel that severe.

• Like 1