Kato n gauge motor issues

Daniel C

Just now, inobu said:

Look for heat or scorching. You said you smelled something.

Either it is the pick ups or light board.

The smell came from the powerpack after the whole system shut down when the faulty motor car was on the rails, and the speed turned to maximum and the powerpack shut off. I reset the powerpack and everything turned normal. I noticed a very slight heating from the power bogies I think.

1 minute ago, Daniel C said:

The smell came from the powerpack after the whole system shut down when the faulty motor car was on the rails, and the speed turned to maximum and the powerpack shut off. I reset the powerpack and everything turned normal. I noticed a very slight heating from the power bogies I think.

the power car is still faulty I mean

Just now, inobu said:

You need to check the light board.

The power flow is

track to wheels to pickup to board

what does a faulty light board look like?

Just now, Daniel C said:

what does a faulty light board look like?

I mean even if I put the powercar by itself on the rails with power on it does not move

If the lightboards are faulty, shouldn't the short be replicated by just putting the lead cars on the rails, without the motor car?

If there is heat in the power bogies of the motor car, the short is probably happening there. Not the lead cars.

Just now, inobu said:

The light board also feeds the motor

I assume this would happen in a locomotive or a DMU/EMU with the cab and motor in the same car such as a JR East 701 series or KiHa 110 series. This is not the case with mine I guess.

2 minutes ago, disturbman said:

If the lightboards are faulty, shouldn't the short be replicated by just putting the lead cars on the rails, without the motor car?

If there is heat in the power bogies of the motor car, the short is probably happening there. Not the lead cars.

Any diagnostic tests for this? and how does one disassemble the bogies for inspection? I mean, literally taking them apart.

Just now, inobu said:

I'm using the light board term loosely.  The board that feeds the motor

Oh I see. Where can I find that?

1 minute ago, inobu said:

Does that motor car have lights in the roof?

no, just the ordinary power car that Kato would make for their lineup of commuter trains (no inspection equipment lighting gimmick or interior lighting)

1 minute ago, Daniel C said:

@disturbmanI think it's not the bogies. I removed the entire motor unit and only attached the bogies and nothing happened to the powerpack or the leading cars.

@inobuWhen I try pressing the copper strips attached to the motor to the rails the motor works!

Just now, disturbman said:

I didn't meant the boggies, I meant the motor car. Metal is very conductive to heat.

Yes I meant the power bogies attached to the power car underframe

1 minute ago, inobu said:

ok, its the poor connection that is drawing the high current.

you mean the contact shoes in the bogies and the strips in the underframe?