Vortex Paint Mixer

inobu

Just get one............

image.thumb.png.48b9a4e0afefcb40381474f76c780ce6.png

link

I had a New bottle of Scenic Cement that's been setting for a year or so. Looked at the bottom and it was

gelled. Ran it a few time bottom and side and done. 

Vallejo Paints are mixed in 3 or 4 seconds.  The metals are the hardest but you mix and let it settle and run again.

I revived/mixed 4 year old Aluminum after 4 cycles. 

Inobu

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, does it actually spin the paints or just vibrates them?

It rotates as well creating a vortex/swirl. It like 4 or 5k RPM. It has the effects of a smoothie machine. 

You can see how it cleans/mixes the walls of the bottle.

Inobu

• Like 1

That’s a nice vortex mixer inobu!

I used these a lot in grad school, they work really well to mix things as well as just get things swirled down somewhat. 

btw you can find nice used ones on ebay and even Craig’s list. I’ve been lurking for a long time to grab one used. Being scientific equipment you have to be careful buying new as much of that stuff is a bit inflated in price as well as way overbuilt for hobby use. Lab ones are made to be used 50x plus a day (which we did). It’s been of low importance to me as it’s infrequent I need it, but when you do need it it’s the perfect tool!

Older ones really are tanks, we had some in grad school that were 30+ years old and the only thing ever replaced were the rubber heads as they had usually gotten too worn and at times lots of ethanol and isopropanol on the rubber that made it crack.

jeff

• Like 1

Wow had not looked at new one on ebay since last year and now some new small ones down to $50l last year most small new ones started at $100 and on ip. Not quite as high of rpms as bigger ones and it’s nice to be able to vary the speed, but these little guys would probably do most hobby jobs for paints and such

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Vortex-Mixer-Mini-Shaker-Adjustable-Speed-Shaking-Bottle-Orbital-Pigment-New/383926941800?hash=item5963d43868:g:Gl8AAOSwIvZgGQGN

jeff

• Like 2

I saw those and almost went for it but changed my mind because of the videos. Something didn't seem right.

Turns out that the RPM makes a difference. The one I got is 5600 verses 2800. 

Inobu

28 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Do you use those pointy research bottles or will it work with any jar or container?

It worked with the Woodland Scenic Cement bottle. Whats interesting is the people in the videos

won't change their grip. Some bottles you can loosen your grip and it will rotate in your hand.

You have to look at the viscosity of the liquid and how it settled. I some cases you have to mix the

bottle upside down so the thicker fluids mixes slowly into the carrier. 

S191_f_1.jpg

I recovered paints that would have been thrown away other wise. I'm was going to order more Vallejo paints because I have not

used them in years and started looking on line. Saw some of the videos and thought it made sense.

Inobu

Inobu

• Like 1

Like inobu said with other than conical tubes you just need to gently hold the bottle enough for it to rotate on the vortex head but not fly off. Basically want to gently hold the top of the bottle so it pivots and the bottom is rotated in a circle, it’s about the bottom rotating in a circle not spinning on its axis. Sort of like holding a glass at the top and swirling the bottom, but really fast. Larger bottles are more a challenge, but by moving it around some usually you find a spot where things start to swirl well. It’s sort of a feel sort of thang. The smaller vortexers may not do big stuff as well of course, but should do great on small paint bottles which is the big one for hobbists that can save money by resuscitating old bottles of paint!

im guessing it should work well in conjunction with a ball bearing in the paint bottle as well. The swirling ball bearing should really help break down clumps fast.

jeff