Kato Rural Station

Kiha66

I've been working on the excellent new kato rural station.  I'm at the point where I need to decide which stickers to use.  Does anyone know if these are real stations, or something kato made up? 

20210314_145253.thumb.jpg.bc9f1a886a5c0a80081abca6bd502f2f.jpg

• Like 1

I would say they are made up based on trying to Google a few quickly.  However, it could be limitations on English Google.

However, they may be inspired by real things.  For example,  "TANGO-OE" -- there is in Oe station (Kyoto) on the Kitakinki Tango Railway Miyafuku line.  (Kitakinki Tango Railway has been superseded in 2015 Kyoto Tango Railway [Willer Trains]).

Others I looked up may have similar "inspirations" from existing stations or places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōe_Station_(Kyoto)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitakinki_Tango_Railway

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1

You have to choose your area.

There are prefectures. Kinda like LA County to San Diego County

image.png.3749d4e150db1334f48942f35d89f6b6.png Yamashiro

image.png.891ecbdf1129bf5193a9e9f9d8762180.png Iyo

And Stations like Rialto in San Bernardino County

Which is Ina, Fukushima in Minamiaizu District, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.

I think Ina would be defined as Rural.....

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I would say they are made up based on trying to Google a few quickly.  However, it could be limitations on English Google.

However, they may be inspired by real things.  For example,  "TANGO-OE" -- there is in Oe station (Kyoto) on the Kitakinki Tango Railway Miyafuku line.  (Kitakinki Tango Railway has been superseded in 2015 Kyoto Tango Railway [Willer Trains]).

Thanks!  I tried googling them and even translating the roman into Japanese, but I couldn't find anything.  Sounds like I can use any of them then.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks!  I tried googling them and even translating the roman into Japanese, but I couldn't find anything.  Sounds like I can use any of them then.

Not really you have to do a little research. You could end up running the Pacific Surfliner in Bakersfield.........

For some people it would not mean anything but local people would laugh.

Inobu

• Like 1

To clarify, some of the station names listed have "regional" prefixes which allude to the old name of the prefecture/province/area (though not necessarily corresponding 100% to a modern prefecture).

Specifically:

- "Tango"

- "Bungo"

- "Iyo"

- "Ina"

I'm not 100% sure about "Ina", I suspect it's associated with part of Nagano prefecture.

The prefix is usually used to prevent confusion with a station with the same or similar name elsewhere.

The other two stations seem non-existent but quite generic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally wouldn’t worry too much about it.  I just use rule 1 for almost everything.  

just choose the one that makes most sense (using squid’s info on old names for prefectures).  

I personally don’t speak Japanese and except for the wife, no one I run trains with does, so this level of detail is something I personally don’t worry about.  So if I have JR Hokkaido, JR East, JR West, and JR Shikoku or Kyushu all running at once — maybe even some JNR era versions, no one knows the difference and for me it all is just the “Japan emotion”.   And I may even send a DB or SBB or BLS train through at the same time !  

Your  sensibilities may be otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  I'm leaning towards Misaka, I like the name and the lack of a real location lets me run whatever I want.  Now I just need to figure out where the interior stickers go, I may have a few more questions as the build progresses.

5 hours ago, inobu said:

Not really you have to do a little research. You could end up running the Pacific Surfliner in Bakersfield.........

For some people it would not mean anything but local people would laugh.

Inobu

Hey, if Bing Crosby can ride the Pacific Surf Line from Florida to Vermont for a White Christmas, it's good enough for Bakersfield!

Those SP Warbonnets rolling past palm trees on the coast never did convince me they were actually in Florida...

• Haha 2
Das Steinkopf

To me they look made up but sort of reflect some names around the areas, the JR Central coloured signs give the impression of being somewhere on the Iida-sen and Takayama Honsen with the vague references such as Iida-Onsen and Mina-Ochiai.

• Like 1

UP!

I've some KATO kits for local rural station:

23-130, 23-131, 23-132.

But not the station building (23-220).

Is the 23-241 fitting with older rural platform sets? 

Thanks!