Extra tomytec bits and bobs

cteno4

Curious what folks are doing with all the extra bits and bobs as build Tomytec trains. I’ve got a pile of them, I just can’t get myself to toss all the extra side frames and such! Figure I can use all the wheel sets with some painting and weathering as a bunch of spare wheel sets for scrapping or renew next to an maintenance building. Always nice having some spare antennas to Frankenstein broken ones later as well.

cheers

jeff

Are we all that anal with throwing out things we don't need?

I have a (un)healthy pile of MA and Tomix Rapido couplers, coupler boxes, and springs as I switch my sets to TN couplers. I'm pretty sure the only potentially useful items in there are the springs, but I still keep all the rest.

I also keep all redundant detailing parts. The antennae and such. I only recently took to throwing the leftover horn covers once I have them installed on my Kihas. Only the used ones, I still keep the second plate. Who knows, I will probably never need them again.

• Haha 1

I keep everything. Cannot discard anything. Always think I might need it in the future. Even getting rid of the empty boxes of model kits is painful...

• Like 3

My therapist has praised me for achieving the goal of throwing the sprues away as soon as the bits have been cut out, as it is highly unlikely I will ever need to scratchbuild a chemical plant.

But yeah, I do keep all the other bits in case they should "ever come in useful" (such as creating a fantastic N scale modern abstract art installation out of spare Arnold couplings).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Madsing said:

Even getting rid of the empty boxes of model kits is painful...

So true. I tend to keep the boxes of everything I get. Not just for the train stuff, but also for anime merch, car parts and such. Most of them look too good to be thrown away.

OMG I think I opened a Freudian Pandora’s box! 

so I guess I’m doing ok as I do now snip off the larger extra parts, like side frames, from their sprews and toss the sprews (yes I do have two large boxes of premo sprews saved up for the future mega refinery scratch build). But what am I going to do with 100 sets of like a dozen bogie side frames!? But it’s hard to toss em!

I have gotten better about old tomytec and other model boxes, I now just chop out the front and toss it in a box and recycle the rest. I’m getting better (at least thats what the dudes in the white coats says...)

What time is it?!

jeff

• Haha 1

Ok we can count this topic as group therapy. The rest of the forum though would seem to be very enabling...

jeff

• Haha 3

I just had a look at my "sprue bin". There's some good stuff there. I know I'll use some of those eventually. But I see I've been keeping some used Sankei card sprues too. I may be crossing a line with that! 😱

CG2L4MC.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

The sankei waste is useful stuff. I’ve looked and looked and still not been able to source that stuff! It’s stiffer than chipboards of its thickness and so much resin it’s less prone to moisture warping than alternative art(chip/cardboards. Figure when I eventually get a lasercutter I can use the scraps to make small details! 

jeff

Perhaps. It would be nice to get a few sheets of the stuff. I may try to incorporate a sprue or two into the kit-bash I'm working on as supports. Just to prove to myself how wise I've been, holding onto this excellent sprue material!

I’ve not tried to contact them directly about getting some, figured it was their sekret sauce as no one else doing laser cutting has it...

it is a PITA to cut with a knife with all the resin in there, more like cutting styrene.

jeff

I just used some sprues in a building project. By doing this I have proven that those of us who save sprues are not neurotic hoarders, but rather wise and pragmatic modelers!

Edited by gavino200
  • Haha 3
19 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I have gotten better about old tomytec and other model boxes, I now just chop out the front and toss it in a box and recycle the rest. I’m getting better (at least thats what the dudes in the white coats says...)

The pro solution 😄

casco-small-cases.thumb.jpg.723823f545e95bb9ef6483df9b02b9c3.jpg

Was delighted to find that the small Casco cases have plastic pockets on the outside (similar to Tomix) just the right size. Much neater solution than the Kato cases of the same size. I cut out the bit on the back of the Tomytec boxes with the instructions etc. and place it inside the case for future reference.

• Like 1

I have some little plastic label stick ons you can put on the spine and slip a paper label into like that. I put them on a few boxes that in pretty much all Japanese that I really have to puzzle over or open to figure out what’s in them when sorting trains in the big boxes for shows. I plan is to eventually put an English title and little nose picture (probably side view) on all my boxes. I’m dyslexic so even many numbered trains I really have to think about to what it is from what’s there! The first thing my mind says when someone says what’s the difference between a kiha 181 and a kiha 184 my brain says 3.

for the tomytecs I have nice clear vhs cases to put the 1, 2 and 3 car sets in. Been looking lately for good foam to use in them, but most options are very squishy. I’m contemplating getting another box of the vhs cases, not sure how much longer you will be able to find them!

jeff

roadstar_na6
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

kiha 181 and a kiha 184 my brain says 3

Well you're not wrong 😄

I keep all the stuff that comes with my trains really and the only things I discard are empty runners. Since everything gets moved into book cases I keep jewel cases and the like in a big cardbord box in the basement. Rapido's get collected in old film canisters, if anyone needs some of them, hmu 😉

5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I have some little plastic label stick ons you can put on the spine and slip a paper label into like that.

Aha, now there's another idea, thanks. Never occurred to me to look for something like that.

5 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Rapido's get collected in old film canisters, if anyone needs some of them, hmu 😉

I'll take the film canisters ;). Very useful for small train stuff, wish I'd kept more. Wait, maybe people still sell them...

roadstar_na6
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

[...]

It's handy that I still shoot film and therefor have quite a bit of these canisters 😄 They're great storage bins

I’m terrible at throwing anything model railway related away. Luckily Seriya (¥100 shop) sells plastic boxes in various divisions and heights for organising. I have a lot of these for my tomytec cars, buses, trucks and other scenery items, catenary, telegraph poles, containers etc.. to reduce the amount of space all the layout adornments, i have collected over the years, take up. The goal is to obviously reduce these to zero with a layout once “she who shall not be named” decides on settling in one location and agrees to terms on territory for such distractions.

There are however a good number of boxes with spares which i will probably never need or use for n and HO. Here is a taster of a few with couplers, loco numbers and general spares. Will i ever need to change over  HO Koki container clips?

C8D62D6C-31B1-46A9-B82B-369FFBB8705E.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

I'll take the film canisters ;). Very useful for small train stuff, wish I'd kept more. Wait, maybe people still sell them...

Yes I see them on ebay all the time! If I had 25 cents for the canisters of all the rolls of film I shot! At one point I was shooting like 5-6 rolls a day for construction site photography in addition to hobby, weddings and sailboat races.

52 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

It's handy that I still shoot film and therefor have quite a bit of these canisters 😄 They're great storage bins

@roadstar_na6 that’s great! So few left shooting film.

jeff

• Like 1