why not ask the British about Dapol and Graham Farish...

Nozomi

i just realized..

are british trains that small? i mean they're even in 1/148 scale.. 148/150 times larger than the japanese models, and with 1435mm gauge.

Indeed they are. Here in NZ we have imported a lot of ex Mk2 carriages and after putting new 3'6" bogies on them, you'd never notice the difference in size. So standard gauge British Rail has a similar loading gauge to our narrow gauge.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

railsquid

Slightly extreme example with a Dapol class 86 (1:148) and a Shinkansen car (1:160):

gallery_1206_166_83382.jpg

With a British coach:

gallery_1206_166_33474.jpg

• Like 3

Actually british loading gauge in 1:148, japanese cape gauge in 1:150 and european standard loading gauge in 1:160 is the same. European high capacity international is similar to shinkansen, both in 1:160.

Ancient prussian freight interchange in 1:160 is seriously tiny compared to japanese 1:150. Also, some older german models were 1:150 and tend to hit everything on modern layouts.

A british 1:148 mk1 and a japanese 1:150 113/115 is almost exactly the same in body cross section. Except the old british loading gauge doesn't leave space for pantographs and hvac equipment...

I have a Dapol Intercity 125 Executive Livery set.  You can see it pictured below with the Kintetsu Corp. 50000 Shimakaze.  Got it as the basic 4 car set and have added on to it.  I run it as a mixed Livery set because of the sole "Swallow" 1st class coach that I had to order.  I do have one complaint about Dapol though.  The coupler mounts can be bent out of shape and thus become uneven.  This makes knuckle and Kaddie couplers unreliable for me.  I've "solved" this dilemma by using Fleischmann Profi couplers instead (See link below).  These give my coaches a more "connected" look to them like the actual prototype.  Though I will admit that the coaches will still separate if the layout I'm running on doesn't have a relatively level track.  Anyone else have the same problem with somewhat bent coupler mounts?  I'll try to get photos up to show you what I'm talking about.

East Meets West

Edited by Omega Tau
  • Like 2