airbrush question

no link,, saw them on amazon, they seem to be a self contained set up, i have a couple of airbrush's but cant run the compressor in the house drives the dogs nuts !! just looking for something quiet!! i dont want to mess around with the propellant cans not worth it,, they work for doing cakes an such??  

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

have any of you used or have any knowledge of those compressor less air brush set ups?? 

No. I've never heard of that. It sounds interesting. But I do use a small quite cheap compressor. It's not loud. It doesn't bother my dog at all. And he's bothered quite easily. For example he's afraid of farts. 

I had never used one before for any reason and have found it to be simple and easy. There's a link to it in this thread: 

Edited by gavino200

I think maybe you are referring to tankless airbrushes? There are small airbrush compressors that have no big tank (some just tiny cans usually internal to help with evening pressure) and are pretty small and quiet, more like the purr of an aquarium not a loud tanked air compressor (even the quiet ones are not quiet). they start around $100 and can go up to like $500. The more the price the more even the airflow not having a big tank to help that.

https://www.micromark.com/Whisper-Air-Compressor

They even have little makeup airbrushes now that are battery powered and usb rechargable. Looks like an airbrush attached to a little spray can that must hold a mini compressor, battery and I’m guessing a tiny tank reservoir to help keep pressure even. Others have a small pump similar to an aquarium pump that has a pressure regulator.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gocheer-Airbrush-Compressor-Integrated-Rechargeable/dp/B07KXFBTSM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Makeup+airbrush+usb&qid=1615174368&sr=8-6

another option for air in the house and a compressor in the garage is to get a 5gal air tank. They are like $30 and you can pressurize them from your compressor (just need to make a male to male adapter as you need a female pressure connector on the tank like on the ends of your compressor hose). I did this for a long time, but of course mr murph would always nail me if I didn’t fill it just before starting a project and it would run out mid project! I finally got the little micromark above on dale for like $85. Nice and simple, flip the switch and go! 

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

All the small cake ones I have seen run at 25psi and still have a compressor, although very quiet. Without an example, it is difficult to comment though.

Edited by katoftw

The low pressure airbrush compressors are pretty quiet., no issue using inside at all and mine is on the lower end, I’ve heard one very nice one an artist friend has and it’s very quiet. I’ve not played with the makup/food ones at all, but I expect pretty quiet. I do expect they are not  as even as a good airbrush compressor or a big high pressure tank, but for most of us doing regular model painting probaby would work fine.

There has been a good advance in the last 5-10 years on higher psi compressors getting much more quiet. My last two wood shop compressors have been really quite quiet, low power tool level of noise and a much shorter chug, not the old bang bang of old oil compressors. I acutallly found one of the most dangerous things in the shop has been me being startled while using a power tool and the old loud compressor would go off. Even though I heard it hundreds of times it would always make me jump and jumping is not what you want while using a power tool...

I finally got a tiny 2gal high pressure compressor for the basement (got tired of refilling the air can in the garage and actually when it’s below freezing in the garage it can freeze up the compressor, learned that the hard way a few years back) to run some small air tools and blow stuff out. I got it as a fried got one and I was wondering what the noise was when it started in his shop as it was sooo quiet!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

yes jeff tank less,  i thought about a tank, but the compressor is in the garage an doesn't like to work when its  below freezing,, that an its a pain to get it into the cellar   i guess my description was a bit off to the response's that i received lol  next time i have a question jeff ill just message you, thanks

No worries jimbo, terms and semantics are easy to mix up and also used differently in different hobbies. I’m dyslexic as well and than gets me as I’ll use the wrong term and not even notice it as my brain thinks it’s using the right one, just not coming out the mouth or thumbs right.

I hated schlepping the tank thru the house to the basement or garage... just big enough to bang into things and always at the most inconvenient time!

I know the below freezing compressor issue well. I burned out my nice new, very quite compressor a few years ago as I forgot to switch it off and close the main valve one day and it got to like high teens that night. Hose and connectors tend to leak more when the get really cold and of course the compressor went off when tank pressure got low enough and cylinder ceased and burned out the motor. New motor was the price of a new compressor and wasn’t sure if it had damaged the cylinders if it cranked some so cold... never had that problem in california! Should have known better as old oiled pancake compressor before it would have a a hard time to crank up in the cold (figured the oil got gummy) and I could never get it sealed well enough to leave it on when not in use but the new compressor (oil less) held pressure so well for weeks and I got lazy, until it got cold and leaked!

in that case might look at the little tankless. I’ve been happy with the little micromark. It’s around $120 I think, I got it for like $85 on sale. There may be a few more inexpensive ones around, they then start going up in price with pro ones like $200-500, but that’s kind of over kill for casual airbrushing.

I finally got a little baby senco high pressure compressor for the basement and when I need to use nailer and such away from the garage, using a transport tank there gets futile fast! I got this one as a friend had one and the first time it went off in his shop I said what’s that, sounds like an air compressor but so quiet (he had a small basement shop). He pointed at this baby compressor on the shelf next to my knee! I’ve loved it as it’s easy to carry and provides plenty of volume for the small air tool use and blowout I do in the basement and runs the nailer fine. I’m usually just doing a few nails or brad nails on a job outside or at a friends house, not re-roofind or siding a house! At 4amps you don’t have to worry much about having other stuff going on the circuit. My big compressor is like 13amps, so I made a 20amp circuit for it. I’ll be working next to it and when it goes off it doesn’t make me jump! That always makes me smile! 

https://smile.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_1?crid=90R3YNUTRV37&dchild=1&keywords=senco+compressor+1+gallon&qid=1615315125&sprefix=Senco+com%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

i already had the airbrush compressor so I could have done away with that and just used the senco for airbrushing too. Might need an extra tank to help with surges when compressor kicks in (it’s a itty bitty tank) or just fill the tank and use the tank for airbrushing. But now I have both and it’s just easier to use the little airbrush compressor for airbrushing. Luckily they are both pretty small pieces of equipment.

Cheers 

jeff

maihama eki

I'm all Iwata currently.

This airbrush: https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/hp-c-plus-airbrush.html 

This compressor: https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/smartjet-plus-tubular.html 

I'm not super skilled with the airbrush, but I need it for some painting tasks. Compared to what I had as a kid, these are revolutionary and suit me well. I think the compressor is pretty quiet, but I'm sure others are quieter. I don't really need the higher pressure that this one allows.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

thats a nice set up jeff,  lol at the bottom of the listing they showed my craftsman lol 

That's the one I was suggesting, Jimbo. I got it on Jeff's suggestion. It makes a little noise but is fairly quiet. The only really loud part of using it is when I release the air after use. I always do that, though I don't really know if it's necessary. It sounds like a truck stopping. 

@gavino200 you ended up getting the baby senco? I’ve never checked but I expect you couldn’t hear it upstairs at all in the basement.

it’s a sweet little compressor for little bits here and there.  Could be a work compressor for airbrushing. I wouldn’t try to build a house with it, but every month or so I need to use it somewhere around the property or at a friends house and so handy to just grab and go. Best thing is it doesn’t make me jump!

jeff

Yeah, it's pretty quiet. Renaye says she can just "detect" it's little sound from the kitchen, which is next to the basement door, but just barely. It doesn't bother the dog at all, but I'm not sure he's every come down stairs while I've been using it. It doesn't phase faze the cats at all, though they startle when I release the air brakes. 

Edited by gavino200

Don’t have to purge it. Only thing to do every few weeks is to just run some air out the little valve at the bottom of the tank to purge any moisture that has condensated from compression. Fine to keep the air bottled up for use next time. Just turn the main valve off at the compressor as many quick release connectors and things like blow off guns will leak a tiny but and can loose your pressure.

jeff

• Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

I fixed the noise issue by buying a spray booth that has a fan in it that makes more noise than the compressor 😄

• Haha 2