JR East- New limited express "Shonan" to begin March 15

bikkuri bahn

6 hours ago, disturbman said:

Man, that camera at 16sec sounds like a machine gun 🙉

One thing is for sure, the 185 looks damn good behind an EF64.

After all it's "aim and shoot" right?

11 hours ago, Socimi said:

After all it's "aim and shoot" right?

Haha not sure if there are any aiming involved for automatic machine guns!  🙂

High end cameras are still a thing especially for rail fans ~ otherwise the mobile phones nowadays does most of the work...

I doubt that person was shooting film. It sounded fully digital. I find it funny that these kind of sounds were artificially kept so people could still feel they had a “real” camera. My first reflex when I get a new camera is usually to go to the settings and remove all sounds.

3 hours ago, disturbman said:

I doubt that person was shooting film. It sounded fully digital. I find it funny that these kind of sounds were artificially kept so people could still feel they had a “real” camera. My first reflex when I get a new camera is usually to go to the settings and remove all sounds.

They don't put speakers in cameras to make sounds as loud as that... it was a real shutter on a real SLR. The 'shooter' would've been right next to the camera.. probably the same human! Something high-end with high burst. I feel sorry for the gigabytes to dig through to find the right shot.

Edited by stevenh

My bad. I thought we had gotten rid off the shutter altogether. Never felt the need to buy a DSLR.

I put my SLR and other film cameras in a box and don’t even use my digital anymore. Plain old smartphone or tablets are enough.

What’s the point of a shutter with a digital sensor? It’s not like the sensor needs it.

2 hours ago, disturbman said:

My bad. I thought we had gotten rid off the shutter altogether. Never felt the need to buy a DSLR.

I put my SLR and other film cameras in a box and don’t even use my digital anymore. Plain old smartphone or tablets are enough.

Enough for a lot of things, most of the photos I take with the smartphone, but on the odd occasions when I do haul out the proper DSLR, the difference is noticeable, particularly if zoom is needed or the light isn't so good (not that I'm an expert or anything). Does make a nice clicking sound though 🙂

Edited by railsquid
roadstar_na6
2 hours ago, disturbman said:

What’s the point of a shutter with a digital sensor? It’s not like the sensor needs it.

There are still mirrors involved. The digital sensor in a DSLR is basically a never ending film

Tony Galiani

If you are talking photos for publication, a smart phone probably isn't good enough for the job.  At least that used to be the case.  When I did my first layout article for Continental Modeller, they sent me a photo guide outlining expectations for the photos to be published.  When I submitted for Chihiro Horikawa, we used the same standards and my wife used her DSLR cameras to take the pictures.  It actually surprised me how much effort it took to get pictures that seemed good enough to use.  Maybe this has changed but I expect there is still a use for cameras in this smart phone age.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I love you too. Did I really need to precise that I meant: "Plain old smartphone or tablets are enough for my needs"? I thought that was obvious. I do know that DSLRs make better quality pictures than smartphones. I just really thought we had moved away from mechanical shutters.

For my own education: http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/why-digital-cameras-have-mechanical-shutters.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

HHmmm there also seems to be a new E257-5000 series? Judging from the colour, it looks to be for Odoriko services... Maybe the blue E257-2000 is reserved for Shonan services? 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

HHmmm there also seems to be a new E257-5000 series? Judging from the colour, it looks to be for Odoriko services... Maybe the blue E257-2000 is reserved for Shonan services? 

There were 137 cars of the 185 series just before it's retirement and there are 137 cars of the E257-2000 + 2500 so it's exactly enough to fully replace the 185 series.

Also Odoriko has become blue livery so it's unlikely it will be for Odoriko.

There are 3 E257-0 and 5 E257-500 formations left which are likely going to be converted to E257-5000 and E257-5500 which in total is 52 cars.

They might be used on seasonal services like the Hamakaji (which ceased services in early 2019) and/or group trains which could mean the end of the 485 Hana, possibly the 485 Resort Yamadori and the 215 series (Holiday Rapid View Yamanashi).

Another possibility is the replacement of the 651-1000 series which totals 49 cars.

• Thanks 1