JR East- New limited express "Shonan" to begin March 15

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

On March 15, JR East will introduce the limited express "Shonan" (weekday AM and PM peak service only) between Odawara and Tokyo/Shinjuku, using refurbished e257 stock.  These will replace 185 series and 215 series stock used in the various existing "Shonan Liner" services, which will be discontinued.  There will be a total of 10 "up" services each weekday, and 11 "down" services. Trains will be 9 car consists, with the exception of three services in each direction having 14 cars.

timetable:

https://www.jreast.co.jp/ltd_exp/tokaido/pdf/pdf_202103timetable.pdf

Ayokoi video of the 185 and 215 series on the liner services at Odawara:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

I think it's the end.  Several Japanese railway youtubers are doing videos about them, actually JR East has made two of their own videos.  I haven't seen anything about them going to other companies or anything.  I think they'll all be scrap.

JR East videos

• Like 1

Yes, definitely the end on Tokaido Line services south of Tokyo. Not sure if that means the end for them all, or if there are any which might remain on the lines north of Tokyo.

• Like 1

That would explain Tomix doing another run of the 185. We might see Kato do the same. I never got to ride a 185 and i guess I won’t now. 

I don't expect an single working set is going to remain, traintype is to old for reuse on other lines and operational preserved trains is not really an thing in Japan outside some exceptions like steam trains.

Hopefully they keep 1 of the headcars.

5 hours ago, Dentobu93 said:

operational preserved trains is not really an thing in Japan outside some exceptions like steam trains.

JE East have a habit of of keeping a few in the Takasaki depot for nearby local line use.

The 103s on the Nara line are getting very old.

The 415s in north and south Kyushu have had multiple update to continue running.

Edited by katoftw
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

JE East have a habit of of keeping a few in the Takasaki depot for nearby local line use.

Jr East retired the last DD53/EF60/EF55/EF58/KuMoHa 40/583/485 (Original body) and 189 in the last 20 years, several of these would have been perfect for use as historic/museum train.

4 hours ago, katoftw said:

The 103s on the Nara line are getting very old.

The 415s in north and south Kyushu have had multiple update to continue running.

There are new 225-100's being built which could very well replace several 221 series which can be diverted to retire the last 103's.

The 415's are already being retired by the new 821 series along with the Kiha 66/67's by the YC1's.

Tobu has the 8111 listed under the Tobu Museum in operational condition, this could very well mean it will still be used several decades from now on.

I am kinda hoping more companies follow the example from Tobu but I am not holding my breath.

6 hours ago, Dentobu93 said:

There are new 225-100's being built which could very well replace several 221 series which can be diverted to retire the last 103's.

Apparently, one of the two remaining 103 (NS407) on the Nara line recently received a fresh coat of paint. Although we know they will be retired soon, nobody knows exactly when. Be it this year, or the next. They won't last for long.

https://getnavi.jp/vehicles/564525/

There are also still a few other 103s running on JR West network (from the link above, situation as of January 12): one on the Wadamisaki line; eight on the Kakogawa Line (3500 sub series); and nine on the Bantan line (3500 sub series). The ones on the Bantan and the Kakogawa lines will probably be the last 103s in operation.

Question: is JR Kyushu going to keep refurbishing the 415’s for the service between Kokura and Shimonoseki through the Kanmon Tunnel? Or will they buy specially modified 821’s with 20,000 V AC and 1,500 V DC compatibility? 🤔

14 minutes ago, Sacto1985 said:

Question: is JR Kyushu going to keep refurbishing the 415’s for the service between Kokura and Shimonoseki through the Kanmon Tunnel? Or will they buy specially modified 821’s with 20,000 V AC and 1,500 V DC compatibility? 🤔

When they do retire them. JRK will probably just pull rolling stock from Karatsu to use. Modify/new transformer systems etc.

But probably the reason why we,ll see the 415s for a long time still.

Edited by katoftw

Change of time table. Things are being moved around and ending.

Edit: No more KiHa 40s at JR East starting tomorrow. Only trains left are the joyfuls. The rest is replaced by a mix of GV-E400 and EV-801. Sad-ish day.

Edited by disturbman

And here are some sad Sayonara Last run videos:

185 series on Odoriko services.... 

215 series on Shonan Liner service

Both of which i had never rode on before.....  😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Kakotetsu has another video in which she shows some views of the 185 interior.  The seating area look ok but the toilet looks rough.

Another channel, kuugaa (cougar?), went out in search of the 185s and 215s on their first day of retirement.

All 4 215 series formations were at Kozu.  The majority of the 185s were at Higashi-Omiya yard (https://goo.gl/maps/haoBpUtsBsqMwsfz6).  There's some speculation in the comments about what will become of them, such as modification for excursion service or just being kept around for a while for the occasional add-on rapid or express.

• Like 3

Apparently, 105s were also retired from service from the Kisei line and replaced by 227s.

I might start using this thread as a general retirement thread.

• Like 1

Are any 185s preserved yet?  I wonder if one of the cab cars will make its way to a museum when they're disposed of.  

12 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Are any 185s preserved yet?  I wonder if one of the cab cars will make its way to a museum when they're disposed of.  

None as of now, they might preserve the headcar of A1 formation since this is the very first 185 car (Kuha185-1).

Some other news related to retirements.

JR West retired the 413, 415-800 and 455 series (2 455 headcars mixed with the 413 in 2 formation).

Ainokaze Toyama Railway does still have an few 413 series but are also planned to be replaced by 2022.

Ainokaze did turn 2 into joyful trains, it's possible they might stay around for longer, likely the 'Story of 13000' since that had an more expensive overhaul (180 Million Yen).

• Like 1

Speaking of which, I believe JR East retired the 215 series double deck commuter train sets too. Will we see them at Nagano being cut up for scrap? 🙁 

By the way, getting back on subject, here’s a VERY rare zenmen tenbō video of a trip on a 185 series train from Tokyo to Odawara:

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Nihon TV did a live 40+ minute report from a helicopter tracking the progress of Shonan #10 from Fujisawa to Shinagawa:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 4

The 185 retirement seems to be getting loads of attention.  They must keep a formation or two for a few years.  Right?

Right?

9 hours ago, miyakoji said:

The 185 retirement seems to be getting loads of attention.  They must keep a formation or two for a few years.  Right?

Right?

Or they're going to end up at the Nagano Rolling Stock Center for scrapping. I'd start keeping an eye on ichi pika's videos on YouTube.