Cat chills on top of Avanti Pendolino, causes delays between Manchester and London

Yavianice

• Yavianice changed the title to Cat chills on top of Avanti Pendolino, causes delays between Manchester and London

In other words, UK railway companies hae just acquired a new pointless excuse for train dealys: after the "wrong type of snow" and "leaves on the line", here comes the "cat on the roof of the train" !   😄

4 hours ago, chadbag said:

It seems to me the cat would be smart enough to just jump off once the train started to move. 

When my mom was about to give birth to me they had a little stray cat that hung out at their apartment. When it was time and I was looking to get out dad raced mom to the car and they drove rather fast a few miles to the hospital and pulled up at the emergency room door. About the time my dad was getting my mom out of the car the little cat came racing out from under the engine and dashed off, never to be seen again at their apartment... apparently it liked to sleep up on the warm motor sometimes.

so no, cats don’t always know to jump off once things start moving!

jeff

1 minute ago, cteno4 said:

When my mom was about to give birth to me they had a little stray cat that hung out at their apartment. When it was time and I was looking to get out dad raced mom to the car and they drove rather fast a few miles to the hospital and pulled up at the emergency room door. About the time my dad was getting my mom out of the car the little cat came racing out from under the engine and dashed off, never to be seen again at their apartment... apparently it liked to sleep up on the warm motor sometimes.

so no, cats don’t always know to jump off once things start moving!

That is funny.  Though a bit different.  If the cat had been lounging on top of the car, I bet he would have gotten off quickly.  Being up under the hood on the engine block somewhere, he probably didn't have much chance to realize something was happening until it was too late...

I still think they should have tried it.  Just start the train up and let it start moving.  If the cat doesn't jump off they can stop it again and back it up if need be.  They made a mountain out of a mole hill if you ask me.

We had a punky little Manx cat at the film studio that use to like sleeping on my chair in the afternoon if I wasn’t in it as the sun came in just right to hit it for a couple of hours. Nothing you could do would make him get off. You could spin the chair, race it around the room, do abrupt stops and he would just dig his claws in more and do that cat snarl at you. You could wheel the chair out of the sun and he would stay on the chair I think out of spite. Only way to get him off was to brave the claws and try to pick him up (and I use to trap feral cats when I was a kid with a vet friend for spaying and neutering so use to cat claws and teeth) and that usually ended up with some bloodshed (mine). After a while I think this became fun for him as he liked to play a lot, almost dog like, and this was a way he learned he could engage play rather than pouncing on my leg and climbing up it as I worked.

Joe cat was good fun. He got to the point you could point at a chair and he’d get on it and you could spin it a dozen or so revolutions and he’d sort of wobble dizzly for a second and then start yowling until you spun him again. He dragged in seagulls bigger than he was but he usually ended up beaten up more than the gulls were! He fell off the deck like a half dozen times about 20’ down into usually crashing waves (studio was out over the water in an old cannery) and survived them all. Climbing down to fish him off a rock out in the water was the only time he was ever submissive to me!

jeff