Decoder Issue

nah00

Ok so I think this is just me having a dum-dum moment but I can't figure this one out even though I know I've done it before. I use a Digitrax DCS210 command station and DT500 throttle (I know, get a better throttle but I'd rather just use WiThrottle). 

Long story short I was changing the address on a locomotive and it didn't seem to take (checked it on the old address before I changed it, ran fine, lights worked and ran in forward and reverse). Changed the address to the new road number and no response from the loco. Had this happen before so did the factory reset (Digitrax decoder so CV8 to 8 ) and then tried 3 and nothing as well. The rear light stayed on through both changes but the problem is I don't know what address the loco is set to. Checked the first address again and it didn't respond. Put the loco on DC track and it runs and the directional lighting works, the decoder is a *little* loose but my experience is as long as the lights work the rest should. 

I tried to read back the address through Pg mode and when I check Ad2 and Ad4 I get the 'reading' message and then 'No-d' which I assume means it can't read the decoder? I can't for the life of me figure out the issue. I'm going to try shimming it when I get home to make sure the movement isn't the issue. I know I've reset a loco I didn't know the address before and it was super easy but for some reason I just am getting roadblocked here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Problem resolved: also learned that in order to do readback of CVs you have to use the programming track (I thought DCS210 could do this on the main, I guess not). Shimmed the decoder with styrene and was able to get a response from it. Strangely enough it did take the new number I programmed it with when I read back Ad4 but was probably corrupted by the resets. Reset it 3 or 4 times then set it to the road number, ran fine for 45 minutes (except when I forgot I turned the track power off and thought I bricked the loco). Thanks for the help Inobu!

Edited by nah00
2 hours ago, nah00 said:

Ok so I think this is just me having a dum-dum moment but I can't figure this one out even though I know I've done it before. I use a Digitrax DCS210 command station and DT500 throttle (I know, get a better throttle but I'd rather just use WiThrottle). 

Long story short I was changing the address on a locomotive and it didn't seem to take (checked it on the old address before I changed it, ran fine, lights worked and ran in forward and reverse). Changed the address to the new road number and no response from the loco. Had this happen before so did the factory reset (Digitrax decoder so CV8 to 8 ) and then tried 3 and nothing as well. The rear light stayed on through both changes but the problem is I don't know what address the loco is set to. Checked the first address again and it didn't respond. Put the loco on DC track and it runs and the directional lighting works, the decoder is a *little* loose but my experience is as long as the lights work the rest should. 

I tried to read back the address through Pg mode and when I check Ad2 and Ad4 I get the 'reading' message and then 'No-d' which I assume means it can't read the decoder? I can't for the life of me figure out the issue. I'm going to try shimming it when I get home to make sure the movement isn't the issue. I know I've reset a loco I didn't know the address before and it was super easy but for some reason I just am getting roadblocked here.

Any help would be appreciated.

A little loose is a lot in N-Scale. Just imagine putting a 1" gap between the wall socket and cord. Nothing would work. 

1" in N Scale .0063" to us. So your little movement is most likely 6 to 8" in N Scale. A sheet of paper .0039"

There is a good chance that the decoder is corrupted from the movement. I would guess that the connection is subpar and the CV8 to 8

is not getting read. I would remove the decoder and try resetting without it being installed and reinstall it.

Try issuing the reset command CV8 to 8 on the programming track and do it 5 to 10 time consecutively.

Inobu

• Like 3

The more I thought about the more I figured that the movement was the issue. I usually just use sheet styrene to shim the decoder up (or even just index card pieces to fit) and that has fixed issues I had in the past. What's throwing me is that I usually don't get any response in DC when the decoder is loose but I was here, exceptions to every rule though. Also the fact I'm getting a 'no decoder' error when I try to read back the address should be a hint...

• Like 2