When you can't find parts for older locomotives...

ED75-775

I'm sure we all have them - that one older locomotive (or maybe more!) that we love and couldn't do without. But what happens when you break a part on it? And even worse, that part is not available anymore?

When I was in Kyoto nearly two years ago, I purchased two secondhand Kato 3009 locomotives from Popondetta Kyoto Aeon Mall - a 3009-1 without box, and a 3009-5 with box. Unfortunately the '09-1 took a nosedive onto the floor of the Kyoto Central Post Office when it was being sent back to NZ: although I didn't know it at the time, one of the coupler/plow assemblies broke on impact. Fast forward to now, and the '09-5 has donated a replacement plow to its red sister which now runs regularly - but I would like to get the '09-5 running again, with couplings at both ends. I've tried using newer ED75 and ED70 parts but no joy - they hang a bit lower than the originals, so they grind along the top of the rails.

So, then, what should I do to fix this? Buying a complete locomotive for the chassis seems a bit pointless, and I can't find any suitable parts online. Any suggestions?

With luck and patience you should be able to track down the needed replacement part if you know it's number or maybe even the JAN code. I spent over a month searching for a body shell but in the end found one at Yahoo Auctions.

What might also work is trying coupler assemblies from other locos where spare parts might be easier to get.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Can you post a few pictures? Sometimes it's surprising what you can do with styrene, putty, and paint.

I'll dig the good plow out and post a few pictures of it later this afternoon.

• Like 1

I had that problem with an older Kato EF81; newer part seemed to fit but coupler was way too low:

47639083812_57a3af2bdb_z.jpg

Kato EF81 coupling assembly replacement by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Options are basically:

- hope to find the part somewhere still available (very unlikely for these older releases, which are easily 20 years out of production)

- find a very cheap junk version with the part still in place

- modify the new part

I think in this case with some modification the part can be modified to fit, just a question of getting round to it.

I have since sworn off purchasing older locos, even if cheap, as by the time you've sourced parts you can easily end up spending the price of a new one.

FWIW if you have an older Kato EF81 like this and need a replacement pantograph (also impossible to find), the Kato EH500 one (still available) is a good match and fits (though it doesn't have the diagonal bar which slopes from pantograph to roof).

• Like 3

As promised, here’s a picture of the good plow and the ‘09-5 it came off. Right now it has a set of ED70 plows on it, and, like @railsquid‘s EF81 they hang a little too low. Perhaps a wee bit of gentle sanding might fix that?

image.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

You could make a silicone mold from the intact one and cast it with resin.

I’d be interested in knowing how to do that. Can you describe the process?

On 2/24/2021 at 2:40 AM, gavino200 said:

I’d be interested in knowing how to do that. Can you describe the process?

There's a good video from a Gauge 1 modeller on YouTube where he did just that with a Tenmille wagon kit to replicate some china clay trucks from the Thomas & Friends TV series. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXfcmfBhUA.

Personally, I'm a little wary of trying this with the plow assemblies, particularly since I am aware of just how fragile those clips and the center post for the coupling are. Certainly someone who has more skill and ability than I could do it. Another option would be to have the offending component 3D-scanned; less risk of damage, but together with the subsequent 3D-printing, horrendously expensive!

• Thanks 1

It's costly either way. You end up buying a large amount of resin for a small piece.

To render a good piece you need a high quality silicon and resin as well as the supporting tools.

Smooth On for example.

Mold Star 15 $32

OnyX Slow resin $28

A pressure tank to make a dense and bubble free mold and to cast the resin where it too

is dense and bubble free. In most cases the resin is placed under 60 psi to crush the

bubbles.

It could be cheap finding someone that casts but then the labor cost can get you as well.

Inobu

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, inobu said:

It's costly either way.

No doubt about it! So I've decided it will be cheaper and easier to file away the bottom of the plows to give that clearance above the rail heads. A quick go with my pocketknife's file blade has proven this will work, but I'm going to get a decent set of modelling files before I continue. Once those parts have been filed down appropriately, then my ED75 should hopefully run again...

1 hour ago, ED75-775 said:

No doubt about it! So I've decided it will be cheaper and easier to file away the bottom of the plows to give that clearance above the rail heads. A quick go with my pocketknife's file blade has proven this will work, but I'm going to get a decent set of modelling files before I continue. Once those parts have been filed down appropriately, then my ED75 should hopefully run again...

This is what I typically do. When I run into some absurd fix, I quantify the cost of the repair based on what I'm willing to spend to fix it. I use that money for the tools to fix the

issue. It does not bother me as much as I've added a tool and fixed the problem as well.  Either or.  I actually got the station first then the 7760. Because the 7760 neck screws off it can fit in the station.

image.png.6eafc11a910d0de261e58b1f72eb54db.pngimage.png.e5977cf8b2d9b1f065bf22e5cb87c2ce.png

Inobu