World-Kogei critter

Tom C

Hi, I've just bought a World-Kogei Dekie3 electric loco and descovered that it runs on 4.5v

rsz_2.thumb.jpg.d35fe34e510c345b07610d8279d252bc.jpg

Can anyone tell me what type of resistor I will need to fit inorder to safely run it with my 12v controller ?  Also a good place to buy one ? ebay ?

Thanks for any help

Tom

• Like 1

Tom, 

not sure if there would be room enough for a resistor that could drop the voltage enough in there and the heat may cause an issue in the tiny space. Diodes may be better option as they usually don’t heat as badly and can be smaller. What ever you use test it first to make sure on the heat before you build it in. These will work on your 12v controller you just need to be careful in just using in the bottom range and not crank it up high if it stalls. I expect it will fly off the tracks before it will get to 4.5v, most of these little guys do this. If you have a multimeter ($10 cheapo multimeter is always great have with model trains) then slap it on your controller and you can Mark we’re 4v is on the throttle.

jeff

• Like 1

I have the diesel shunter they make and don't think there is much room in there for anything.  Mine has a weight that fills most of the space and the motor fills the underframe.  I have - very carefully - run it with a 12v powerpack with no problems so far.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Thank you both for your helpful replys. I will borrow a multimeter and put a 4.5v mark on my controller. You have saved me a big headach. Thanks 👍

You can also pick up a little pwm controller on ebay and use a 5v power supply on it. Some small motors do well with these, others get hot, but cheap to give it a whack if you find you want a broader control and potentially easier at the slow speeds. 5v power supplies are ultra cheap or if you have an old phone charger laying around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-35V-12V24V-Mini-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Adjustable-Switch-LED-Fan-Good/324369684321?hash=item4b85f09761:g:Gw4AAOSwMWhfRLlI

jeff

• Like 1