Curious about Nj / Nm

Jaco3011

Hi

I want to take a general look at Nj scene. What track material do you use (Rokuhan? Marklin?), are there any ready-to-run models available, if yes, then how many generally? Are there any meets of Nj fans in Europe? Do they use Z-scale T-trak, or any other standard?

Edited by Jaco3011
typo
  • Jaco3011 changed the title to Curious about Nj / Nm

Though I'm pretty new to model trains (I'm just getting the basic things to get my first loop track running), I was always curious before if japanese modellers used scale-correct track gauge for their models. When I learnt that it's not the case most of the time, it was kind of a bummer for me. Though of course it's understandable, it's much better for accessibility this way.

But this NJ gauge is also something I'm interested in. But from what I can see so far, it's mostly all just personal DIY projects and there are no any stock NJ models, are there?

3 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

Though I'm pretty new to model trains (I'm just getting the basic things to get my first loop track running), I was always curious before if japanese modellers used scale-correct track gauge for their models. When I learnt that it's not the case most of the time, it was kind of a bummer for me. Though of course it's understandable, it's much better for accessibility this way.

But this NJ gauge is also something I'm interested in. But from what I can see so far, it's mostly all just personal DIY projects and there are no any stock NJ models, are there?

Man, I'd like to know that too.

Quick guide:
T - no agreement whether it's 1:450 or 1:480, but everything has 3mm gauge.
Z - everything at 1:220 and standard (6,5mm) gauge
N - Shinaknsens are 1:160, everything else is 1:150, running on 9mm standard gauge until it's Nj at 6,5mm gauge
TT - all I could find was 100% proper TTm aka TT-9, but that wasn't much
H0 - things get complicated here. Basically, Shinkansens are at 1:87 and all the other stuff at 1:80 at standard (16,5mm) gauge, but some people use JM, that's 1:80 at 13mm gauge. I haven't seen any track pieces, and only a few bogies and wheelsets for swapping the default ones. Proper H0 at 1:97 for everything and 12mm (H0m) gauge is also used, but the rolling stock is significantly more expensive, and it's usually older stuff. I'm slowly getting into H0m.
S - I haven't seen a single model of japanese rolling stock at S scale.
0 - 1/45, same as european, but on 24mm track, known as OJ. European 0m has 22,5mm, but the difference makes sense, as 0m is intended for 1000mm gauge prototypes, whereas OJ is meant for 1067mm cape gauge prototypes.
Bigger scales - nothing what I'd call significant, but that EF66 with two passenger cars at 1:32 (I scale) was nice.

T is 1/450, that’s what was established for T scale by Eishindo on their products with Japanese trains. AFAIK Tgauge.com is the only other major producer of t-gauge stuff and I think all of their stuff is 1/450 scale. I think the 1/1480 is just from someone just calculating what the scale would be for 3mm gauge to standard gauge, but I’ve never seen anyone really mention it when making or selling stuff. When folks make shells it’s kind of hard to reduce as they need to fit on the 1/450 chasis.

jeff

On 3/1/2021 at 9:18 PM, Dinosbacsi said:

it's mostly all just personal DIY projects and there are no any stock NJ models, are there?

@cteno4 are there? Anyone?

Sorry, I don’t really follow NJ and other sub gauges all aside from scanning posts on them on the forum here. Most of the NJ stuff that’s shown up here has been DIY stuff as Dino mentions. I don’t remember anyone posting about sales of stock N scale with perfect Japanese gauge. I think a few references here and there to other narrower gauge n scale stuff that is sold, but probably NZ. Again, not my usual interest so I don’t file it away carefully or research it at all.

do some search digging in the forum, sadly the forum can be hard to find odd things at times so you just have to try using a bunch of permutations of search terms to pop them up. Btw I’ve not seen NJ used a lot as a term in the site so try other narrow gauge type terms and use the AND function and might unearth some previous discussions.

jeff

On 2/21/2021 at 7:29 AM, Tony Galiani said:

I do not work in Nj but you may want to check out this web site:

http://www.vivant.jp/taichi.htm

That site has an associated shop where selling parts and modified RTR stock, though the range is very limited (see EdF's links below).

Nj is very niche area even in Japan, the only time I've ever come across it was at an exhibition.

Edited by railsquid
1 minute ago, EdF said:

Found your response to my earlier query and updated. 

OK, but to clarify in case anyone gets the impression Kato makes Nj stuff themselves - they don't, the ones you linked to are Kato products modified by whoever is behind that "vivant" set of sites.