3D Printed B-Train Shorty Chassis.

lukewang01

tossedman

To get around the too small bit at Shapeways you need to print on a sprue. Add three or four together joined by a sprue and it'll print no problem. I've done this previously with small parts.

tossedman
3 hours ago, lukewang01 said:

There's something off with the dimension setting. You'll need to make it 25.4 times bigger. I haven't checked for the long bed model with Shapeways yet. For the chassis, Shapeways will not make them because it's still too small.

I think Pete's uploaded the STL to Shapeways using millimetres and it looks like it was designed in inches. That would account for the size difference. Here's what might work for printing at Shapeways.

BTrainChasiX4.png

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
tossedman

Great idea Luke! I'll have to print a few of those and give it a try. Have you experimented with different lengths?

Thanks again for sharing!

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Had a second thought...
lukewang01

I have. The one on the Thingiverse has a length of 9mm between the end pieces. I think it leaves a reasonable gap between coaches because they have longer gangways. I tried 8mm on Shimakaze and it barely leaves a gap between cars on R 315 curves.

If you want to try 8mm, I'll post that as well. It's easy to change this model, so let me know the length you want.

IMG_5847.thumb.JPG.3613594d3c126a3122491626809508dc.JPGIMG_5848.thumb.JPG.0f1b6a1483f9315388098df666bcebb2.JPG

tossedman

It's way too short for the R150 or R117 curves. Interesting idea though.

lukewang01

It is. I would stick with rapidos or regular ones for that matter. Unless I can figure out a way to make some body mounted couplers. 

• Like 1