3D Printed B-Train Shorty Chassis.

lukewang01

Shinjinkun
On 7/5/2022 at 3:01 AM, tossedman said:

Shapeways actually started in the Netherlands and still ships from there for the EU I believe. Don't know about local 3D printing services in Spain though. Google might be your friend there. Also, there are many Facebook groups for 3D printing. You may want to look and see if there's anyone local to you. You'd be surprised as to how many people have 3D printers these days.

Shapeways bases their prices on volume I believe so it may not be much cheaper to print more in one go. Not really sure though. They use SLS printing (among others) that is stronger and has better detail than FDM (which is what the typical home printer uses).

I've run a full 16 car Shinkansen Zero Series B Train Shorty with two power units. Had no problems.  

Cheers,

Todd

I tried a quote in shapeways, and this was what I got:

There are 18 adapters in total. I couldn't find a cheaper shipping type, unluckily.

Would you say the price makes sense, or is it expensive? It comes at 3.5€ each aprox.

image.png

Edited by Shinjinkun
  • Like 1

Yes, seems about right, Shapeways is not cheap. Their prices seem to have risen significantly over the years. Cheaper that buying a printer though.

Well, in the end, I bit the bullet.

Just received the adapters. I hope the sizing is the correct one...

The manufacturing looks pretty nice though. I picked the black color material. If I had selected the white one, I could have had smoother surface, but as it is hidden, I don't think that is needed.

I will show you the adapters once I added the kato bogies. 

Cheers.

photo_2022-07-22_14-55-38.jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43 (3).jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43 (2).jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43.jpg

• Like 4

Those look pretty good! Hopefully they work well. Keep us posted. I've not used Shapeways for these chassis but I did print one here at home and it worked well.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, tossedman said:

Those look pretty good! Hopefully they work well. Keep us posted. I've not used Shapeways for these chassis but I did print one here at home and it worked well.

Same here for me, Apart from the chassis holes being overly too small for kato bogies, it works completely fine. @Shinjinkunwhat trains will you be using those on?

• Like 2
On 7/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, Shinjinkun said:

Well, in the end, I bit the bullet.

Just received the adapters. I hope the sizing is the correct one...

The manufacturing looks pretty nice though. I picked the black color material. If I had selected the white one, I could have had smoother surface, but as it is hidden, I don't think that is needed.

I will show you the adapters once I added the kato bogies. 

Cheers.

photo_2022-07-22_14-55-38.jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43 (3).jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43 (2).jpg

photo_2022-07-22_14-52-43.jpg

They look nice. And it makes me wonder... if ...maybe somebody is/was coming up with printed bogies. I mean like the bandai version being compatible with the bogie covers. I don't really like how the Kato ones look on shorties  >>beefy train on skinny legs. On the container and tank cars they seem to look good though, have to try it. 

• Like 2

If you do, I’m sure you will have a lot of interest from people here. I suppose you will still use Kato wheelsets?

• Like 1
On 7/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, wonge15 said:

Same here for me, Apart from the chassis holes being overly too small for kato bogies, it works completely fine. @Shinjinkunwhat trains will you be using those on?

Well, I have many shorties stored. At the moment, I only have on display a GSE Romancecar 70K and a full Yamanote E235.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, disturbman said:

If you do, I’m sure you will have a lot of interest from people here. I suppose you will still use Kato wheelsets?

Yes, I got a few Kato bogies that I still didn't try.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:01 AM, tossedman said:

Shapeways actually started in the Netherlands and still ships from there for the EU I believe. Don't know about local 3D printing services in Spain though. Google might be your friend there. Also, there are many Facebook groups for 3D printing. You may want to look and see if there's anyone local to you. You'd be surprised as to how many people have 3D printers these days.

Shapeways bases their prices on volume I believe so it may not be much cheaper to print more in one go. Not really sure though. They use SLS printing (among others) that is stronger and has better detail than FDM (which is what the typical home printer uses).

I've run a full 16 car Shinkansen Zero Series B Train Shorty with two power units. Had no problems.  

Cheers,

Todd

You can also do it with it

Great train model!

Wanted to share my thanks to Luke who came up with this chassis.

I was building a custom train around a Kato chasis when I realised I needed something for the bogies of my unpowered cars.

Google led me here and I printed 12 pieces of chassis to take advantage of shipping costs.

After many months I have completed my DIY train!

1x Kato 11-105 motorized chassis

5x Kato 11-099 bogies + 3D printed chassis!

I still have 7 more chassis left for other DIY trains, will try making other designs.

Really appreciate sharing this 3D model with us!

Card model of my local subway (Singapore C151B)

20230118_223522.thumb.jpg.5b7a2491dadf86245e2c9a47ebae6580.jpg

Train body attaches to the chassis with notches cut out matching the clips. Bridge piece across the body used to stabilize vertical position.

20230119_063516.thumb.jpg.a17e7e859bfff88bf0777151d3ff3ab5.jpg

• Like 8