3D Printed B-Train Shorty Chassis.

lukewang01

I'm Luke. I've created this 3D printed part as an alternative for T-Kais. It can be used with KATO 10-097~099 bogie. I'm asking for 1 USD ea. and buyer pays shipping. 

Thingiverse webpagehttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4769416

You may need to tinker around with print settings for a bit before getting it to work. I wouldn't recommend setting layer height too much thinner than 0.2mm because you may got problem with clips being too fragile. The bottom of the holes are really thin that I wouldn't recommend using rafts when printing because the bottom may stick onto the rafts.

Bot.thumb.png.c690d52462814c0781e95573a279b758.png

figure 1: Bottom view

Top.thumb.png.1b1782ed0245daca14afdee76ca22560.png

figure 2: Top view

Comp.thumb.png.0ee569180e3688d0f0a651a906539c5b.png

figure 3: Comparison of bogie mounting hole by putting them against each other

Extra features like the slot for current collector can be added upon request. 

slot.thumb.png.a28b07a6debbb31855e40110dd346e61.png

figure 4: Older design with current collector slots

The chassis in figure 4 is an older design which I didn't have the distance between the holes correctly and it gave me problem when I'm trying to motorize my Cassiopeia set. Now the new ones in figure 1,2,3 have the appropriate hole distances. 

Please share your thoughts and let me know what features should be added to the chassis.

Edited by lukewang01
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Luke,

thanks for doing this, really appreciated! great service to those of us that don’t have 3d printers yet. Loads easier that what I was looking at doing modifying the fixed truck chassis and the electrical connection slot is great to have to light trains in the future. Was thinking of looking at a simple wiper design for the Kato trucks to perhaps etch. 

I will definitely want some, I’ll go thru my unbuilt btrains this week and see how many I have of the fixed bogie chassis and what I could use.

Thanks again!

jeff

This is great news to see this.

Though currently I will try to not spend too much and not buy more Shortys, but if I ever do, I'll definitely buy a few of these from you.

Shorties are kind of like popcorn... so easy to grab the models being usually not a lot of money and turn your brain off to the costs to get them running...

jeff

• Like 1
metaldirtnskin

Hi Luke,

I replied to the other thread but I must have found this at just the right time. I need to fit the Kato bogies to some of the shorty cars I bought, and I have a 3D printer but am not that advanced at CAD modeling yet. I would love to get a few of these - I'd buy them printed from you if you prefer that, or if you'd be willing to send the STL file I would happily compensate you for your efforts as this is clearly a long awaited solution to a problem. Either way, thanks...

I'm going to try and set up Thingiverse tomorrow and put the link here. If it doesn't work out, I'll PM you and we can discuss how to send you the .stl file.

11 hours ago, metaldirtnskin said:

Hi Luke,

I replied to the other thread but I must have found this at just the right time. I need to fit the Kato bogies to some of the shorty cars I bought, and I have a 3D printer but am not that advanced at CAD modeling yet. I would love to get a few of these - I'd buy them printed from you if you prefer that, or if you'd be willing to send the STL file I would happily compensate you for your efforts as this is clearly a long awaited solution to a problem. Either way, thanks...

I've updated the topic with webpage.

Great project, Luke! What software are you using? Can you share a little about how you learned it and what kind of projects led to your current level of skill? Very impressive. 

I'm using Siemens NX. Learnt it from school. I'm also planning on learning Solidworks. There might be tutorials you can find on Youtube.

• Thanks 1

Cool stuff Luke! Thanks for sharing this on Thingiverse. Even though I don’t really need another chassis at the moment, I couldn’t resist trying one out. The Kato bogies fit like a charm and bodies click right on. Great job sir! Here are a few pictures. 

5E35B473-9979-4DF0-86EA-89A0CBEDF9D5.jpeg

4A73F6E4-260B-42B4-AB40-0A20D2F1AE54.jpeg

D1466B35-982C-46DC-A292-482D3905F9B7.jpeg

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 6

Hey Luke,

It's all down to the good design. I printed this on a Prusa i3 MK3S at the 0.05 Ultra-detailed setting.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ever wanted to transport your B trains on the back of another train?

Let me introduce Large Multi Axle Object.

It has n gauge rails on the bed with a length of 7in and it will take KATO 11-097~099 bogies.

Thingiverse webpage: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4813182

long.thumb.png.5155bf95b33ca4a6fd545a09ee6c7b67.png

dwg.thumb.png.3b12330d8dab021e86cc6d0cffb055f3.png

Disclaimer: No guarantee it will work with heavy vehicles due to bed deflection. 😉

• Haha 1

I did, and I also broke it by trying to bend it too much. That's what left(I used it as a palette). 

IMG_5777.thumb.JPG.9aeea003cb71f7a053a1c921e05398b5.JPG

I made it a while back just for fun, figured today would be a good day to share it.

Cars too heavy will cause the bed to bend too much that it will sit on the rail, but it will work with shorties. I might alter the model to make the bed higher or shorter.

Hi Luke thanks so much for producing this design!

May I ask some advice please? And demonstrate my 3d printing ignorance!

I've downloaded the STL file and uploaded it to Shapeways for a build quote. Only trouble is, the size seems to be coming up too small - 1.98mm long!

Is there something obvious I may be doing wrong or is there a standard multiple I should use to upscale it?

Thanks so much,

Pete

There's something off with the dimension setting. You'll need to make it 25.4 times bigger. I haven't checked for the long bed model with Shapeways yet. For the chassis, Shapeways will not make them because it's still too small.

• Thanks 1