Train Café in Tokyo

That site is the first one which came up on an English search, looks very dated.

This is the restaurant's website: http://www.carmine.jp/carmine.html

I just realised I must have gone past it yesterday, albeit on a mission to acquire bread, which is also something which needs searching for if you want something beyond products based around shokupan.

roadstar_na6
12 hours ago, railsquid said:

a mission to acquire bread, which is also something which needs searching for if you want something beyond products based around shokupan.

Not quite the German bread culture in Japan, right? 😄

3 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Not quite - there are a lot more "exotic" bakeries around than there used to be, though more French-influenced. Happily for myself Bäckerei Linde in Kichijoji is within my extended local shopping range :D.

• Haha 1
disturbman
6 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Which bread culture? Not in the great East German Pampa. Around me, the only (real) bakeries are either run by French or by Danes (with French bakers). Only exception is a German baker that got taught in Denmark. The rest is frozen bread or bio “bakeries” which serve industrial quantities of bread to bio supermarkets. Quality: none.

London bread culture was pretty good when my girlfriend lived there. And good croissants. Nothing like those dry pieces of dough, Berlin bakeries sells as “croissant”.

gavino200

I always loved those little German Brötchen. I've never been too impressed by the bread in the British Isles. I guess the grass is always greener.