Jump to content

Experience disassembling Kato junctions?


gavino200

Recommended Posts

So when looking at something else I stumbled on this nice little video on YouTube on a general model paint stripping experiment. Nicely done to replicate the usual suspects. I wish he had then just done a try at them soaking for like 12 hrs and scrubbing or ultrasonic. I had heard about the cleaners doing good stripping but never followed up on it. Looks like the la’s best from dollar store may be something to use in the future! Next trip by I’ll grab some.

 

 

cheers

 

jeff

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Very interesting! I think I'll order some Super Clean. The SC spears in the end lineup look the cleanest. I might try it out on some British Rail Class 33 shells I bought to practice masking and painting for a project. I may have a go at creating a 1980's CIE (Irish Rail) train. I already scrubbed them after about a month in concentrated iso alcahol with lackluster results. 

Link to post

That looks good. If you want a real match. Take the concrete track to Home Depot and use their color swatches to match the color. At

least you can get some type of color name and formula.

 

Inobu

Edited by inobu
Link to post
3 minutes ago, inobu said:

That looks good. If you want a real match. Take the concrete track to Home Depot and use their color swatches to match the color. At

least you can get some type of color name and formula.

 

Inobu

 

That's a great idea. They may not have an exact match but it's worth a try. They're bound to have something close, and I could pick up a tester. I can adjust it if needed. 

 

I discovered something interesting (slightly, to me anyway). There's an optical illusion at play here. The closer spacing of the Kato sleepers give the eye the illusion that the color is lighter even when lightness (whiteness) is equal. The fake concrete sleepers (painted wooden sleepers) need to be lighter than the genuine Kato concrete sleepers in order to appear equally light. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post

good thing with the industrial degreaser is that it can be useful for oven and rack cleaning as well! I expect the higher pH was what did it. Looks like Walmart is the place to get the super clean. I was surprised the styrene or resin did well a month in the stuff, even in the 91 iso. Brake fluid is another common model paint stripper, but I avoid it as it can soften plastics and also pain and dispose of at recycle center.
 

Love those little home despot sample jars! Really best way to get a color you want, I suck at trying to mix colors, I know the right colors and can usually pick them out but just suck trying to mix there! Also many pains will change from wet to dry so it’s even more tedious to get just the right mix... this is my default for road paints, find chip I like and just get it mixed! 
 

interesting visual effect! Things go weird when you scale them down like this and at times takes correction to make it work in the mind’s eye even if it matches the other! 

 

cheers,

 

jeff

Link to post
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

good thing with the industrial degreaser is that it can be useful for oven and rack cleaning as well! I expect the higher pH was what did it. Looks like Walmart is the place to get the super clean. I was surprised the styrene or resin did well a month in the stuff, even in the 91 iso. Brake fluid is another common model paint stripper, but I avoid it as it can soften plastics and also pain and dispose of at recycle center.

 

Yes, it would be handy stuff to have. I don't want to mess with brake fluid. It stinks.

 

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

 

Love those little home despot sample jars! Really best way to get a color you want, I suck at trying to mix colors, I know the right colors and can usually pick them out but just suck trying to mix there!

 

I agree. But I sort of feel it's something I should master. 

 

 

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

 

Also many pains will change from wet to dry so it’s even more tedious to get just the right mix... this is my default for road paints, find chip I like and just get it mixed! 

 

I've run into this problem on this project. I mix and mix, and then compare until it looks just right. Then halfway through I check again and it's wrong!!! Having the patience to mix, and guess, then let dry, and judge, then alter, then dry and repeat?????? That's some higher level patience right there. It would probably benefit me to attain though. I need to think about this a bit. 

 

 

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

 

interesting visual effect! Things go weird when you scale them down like this and at times takes correction to make it work in the mind’s eye even if it matches the other! 

 

 

Isn't it. I'm actually a bit obsessed by optical illusions. I have more than a few books of them. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...