Exterior details - Etchings and Plastic - Resources list

gavino200

4 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

im guessing the market got over saturated. But they have the moulds for all the ones they did that could be reused for more efficient reruns. Maybe not piss off the collector market with a reissue? It’s not like these are some premo investment collector items. I always feel bad for newer folks in the hobby not being able to get big collection sets very frequently like we use to.

I have a decent amount. But a few roads and parking lots will eat them up fast. I've collected a whopping number of police cars on the auction market. I've never gone to town on seeking out regular cars in the auctions, as I've been hoping to just amass enough cars with the regular Tomytec releases. But the releases aren't nearly enough. I may have to spend a while focusing on car acquisition. Those things aren't going to get cheaper, the longer I wait. 

Another option is to use the Chinese cars as often as possible for spots that are far from the layout edge. 

• Like 1

Except for a Porsche I got in 1/160 on a whim, I am almost all just the cheapo Chinese cars for now.  The big bag o' cars for $10 type.   Some day I will get more into better and more detailed ones.  I did get a truck collection or two and a bus collection or two 🙂

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

You're right, lol. It's just a shame. But I suppose this is what you get when two of your biggest hobbies are trains and cars 😢

Talking of collecting cars along with trains, I also collect diecast scale cars (on and off, tends to be when I come across models of cars I like....), starting out when Hongwell started selling their 00 scale Cararama range in Australia. Last time I was in Japan, I ended up buying the TOMICA 1/75 "Premium 25" 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz....

Here it is alongside a Cadillac Escalade IN THE SAME SCALE.....

Damn, classic Cadillacs got BIG in the 50's!

IMG_1391.jpeg

• Like 2

Damn, that Eldorado is really nice. I'm more of a japanese car guy myself (I already have small HotWheels collection of a few classics), but can't deny the beauty of the old american classics either.

A friend went to college at UCLA and when she was going her father worried about her driving there (she was from a smaller, quiet town) so he bought her a used 59 pink caddie, he wanted a lot of car around her and got it! Ran well but was pretty beat up and a few months after getting there a friend late one night drilled two holes in the very front of each front fender and epoxied a 6” plastic pink flamingos on each fender! It was awesome, she looked like some huge absurd diplomatic limousine with the pink flamingos instead of the little flags. Everyone would honk and wave at her all the time! She just be in a million photo albums! But they started to get ripped off, but cheap to replace but got old after a year or so. I can’t see a big old caddie without getting a smirk and thinking of Lloyd, the pink flamingos and those huge pink tail fins!

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Dinosbacsi

Finally the zokutto car also arrived with my latest package! It's so damn small, I love it.

7ECI6la.jpg

NwUNyy0.jpg

xHJU9Sk.jpg

Though I think it's a real Kobaru one and not Sakatsu's "Kobaru equivalent", as from the site posted above? I mean the package just say Kobaru, so I suppose. I wonder if Sakatsu has the same quality as this one, because if so, then I would be glad to buy a few from them as well.

K9MtqOb.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

Finally the zokutto car also arrived with my latest package! It's so damn small, I love it.

Though I think it's a real Kobaru one and not Sakatsu's "Kobaru equivalent", as from the site posted above? I mean the package just say Kobaru, so I suppose. I wonder if Sakatsu has the same quality as this one, because if so, then I would be glad to buy a few from them as well.

K9MtqOb.jpg

Meister Series is Pro Hobby Meister Series by Kobaru.   https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10261240

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
Dinosbacsi

The other day I wrote Sakatsu an email as well and ordered two of those "Kobaru equivalent" cars from them. The red MV-16 one and the purple MV-08 one. They responded fast and seem like a really nice bunch, helped me complete my order.

Hopefully the quality of the cars will be the same as the "real" Kobaru one, because if so, that's really nice. In the meantime I also have 2 other Kobaru cars coming from HobbySearch, so if they all arrive, I'll have 5 of them.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

The other day I wrote Sakatsu an email as well and ordered two of those "Kobaru equivalent" cars from them. The red MV-16 one and the purple MV-08 one. They responded fast and seem like a really nice bunch, helped me complete my order.

Hopefully the quality of the cars will be the same as the "real" Kobaru one, because if so, that's really nice. In the meantime I also have 2 other Kobaru cars coming from HobbySearch, so if they all arrive, I'll have 5 of them.

When I get a chance, I think I'll make a separate thread for n-scale cars. (not trucks or buses). They're really becoming a bit difficult to source.

• Like 1
Dinosbacsi
5 hours ago, gavino200 said:

When I get a chance, I think I'll make a separate thread for n-scale cars. (not trucks or buses). They're really becoming a bit difficult to source.

I think that would be nice. And yeah, many great models seem to be out of stock on places like HobbySearch 😞

6 minutes ago, Dinosbacsi said:

I think that would be nice. And yeah, many great models seem to be out of stock on places like HobbySearch 😞

Yes, almost everything is out of production. And some of the European pre-orders take an eternity to be released. I'd also like to get a systematic view of everything on the market, including the Chinese car packets, and assess what they're good for (Close up, mid-ground, distance etc.) 

My Kobaru replacement order came today. Nicely packed. No wasted space. Well padded. Nice invoice in plastic folder. It came by 'Small Packet Air' Japan Post. I think it was about two weeks or so in getting here. 

Good service. The products seem identical to Kobaru on first inspection. I'm happy so far and plan on getting more (just in case 😜)

mn2jPOZ.jpg?1

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 3

Woo hoo! Going to have to put in an order here! Nice to see small packets going again!

jeff

• Like 2
Dinosbacsi
16 hours ago, gavino200 said:

My Kobaru replacement order came today. Nicely packed. No wasted space. Well padded. Nice invoice in plastic folder. It came by 'Small Packet Air' Japan Post. I think it was about two weeks or so in getting here.

That's nice to hear. Interestingly they are sending my 2 cars with EMS for some reason. I don't prefer it as it's more expensive (I mean the shipping cost was half of the total payment, lol) and it doesn't even arrive any much faster. But well, it is what it is.

• Like 1

It’s a mess still with covid and shipping. I was surprised at small packet combing to us there.

jeff

• gavino200 pinned this topic