Japanese translation

Rhinochugger

I have a Kato goods shed kit which has loads of accessory pieces, but I have no idea what they are for and what some of them even are!

How can I obtain a translation of the instructions?

Google translate app on your phone. Point and aim at the instructions. It will translate live and directly on the picture. Or take a photo and use your fingers.

Alternatively, you can find or upload a PDF of the original to Google translate on your computer. It will translate it for you. It's probably the better option.

18 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Alternatively, you can find or upload a PDF of the original to Google translate on your computer. It will translate it for you. It's probably the better option.

That however only works if the PDF actually contains text and isn‘t just an image showing text. Learned that the hard way when trying to translate the SP-Hood PDF 😄

In this situation I cheat and pull out the iPhone or iPad and snap a pict of the screen and google translate from the image. Easier than screen grabbing and such... funny that tech has not moved into the general google translate, all the code is done! But that’s google, off to the next thing before everything is complete like that.

jeff

• Like 2

Thanks all - I've down loaded the App but have actually had minimal success with the translations.

Is anybody familiar with the Kato 23-221 Goods shed kit?  The main structures go together fine (although I've rather modified mine, but more of that later) but it's the 1,001 accessories which are confusing me, and which don't appear on any of the photos.

The Rickshaw and luggage carts are obvious enough, as is what I assume to be a yard entrance kiosk, but there's odd sticks and bits, and a couple of brass wire spirals, and then a load of billboards!  Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of the way the Japanese include everything and a bit more in their kits and models - if only I knew what I was dealing with 🙃

Yavaris Forge
23 hours ago, disturbman said:

Alternatively, you can find or upload a PDF of the original to Google translate on your computer.

There are other translators that can scan for text on images or PDFs but they can't translate as well as deepl.com for example. But you can just copy the text that was detected and put it in another translator.

14 hours ago, Rhinochugger said:

The Rickshaw and luggage carts are obvious enough, as is what I assume to be a yard entrance kiosk, but there's odd sticks and bits, and a couple of brass wire spirals, and then a load of billboards!  Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of the way the Japanese include everything and a bit more in their kits and models - if only I knew what I was dealing with 

The brass spirals are “tablet receivers” I think like line token catchers for single track sections. Look at this website for photos.

http://kumanotaira-mura.travel.coocan.jp/kokutetsu-22.html

The other bits are a telephone box, not an entrance kiosk, a post box and billboards to use around the main station. These come with the goods depot but are actually to add to the rural station kit. 

Edited by Kamome

Ah, brilliant - that's a great help.

I can use those bits with my passenger station - rather than use the rural station, I butchered one section of the standard station, so those bits will help.

Excellent pictures on that link as well. 🙂

Edited by Rhinochugger