EF65 - Which manufacturer?

Peter Osborne

Peter Osborne

I’ve got some KATO day passenger cars on order as I saw a YouTube upload a couple of years ago of the same type 13/14 coaches being  pulled by an EF65 looked like some type of railfan tour.

What’s your opinion of the 3 EF65 I’m considering TOMIX, KATO or MicroAce I will be installing a decoder with plug or not so please think of this, I’ve seen very varied prices on yahoo with some MicroAce examples as cheap as Y4000 and the TOMIX and KATO costing more , I would use the suggestion for a JRF loco when I purchase one.

TIA

Edited by disturbman
Title

Avoid MicroAce locomotives which are available from other manufacturers, unless you have a specific reason for that particular model. Also if you're paying 4000 yen for a MicroAce version of EF65 on Yahoo Auctions, you're paying over the odds, that much should net you a Kato or Tomix one in decent condition.

If you want to fit DCC, the Kato version would presumably be slightly less DCC-unfriendly, though I have no experience with that.

If you want to stay relatively prototypical, I would avoid a JRF locomotive as those never hauled passenger cars. In my experience, all three are quite similar in quality. Check for date of release. Unlike Kato and Tomix, MA does not produce and sell spare parts.

Tomix and Kato require the user to add detailing parts (running number, handrails). Which can be cumbersome. I find Kato's detailing parts, notably, the handrails, less durable than Tomix's. Number plate usually requires a dab of glue to hold in place. MA locomotives comes with everything attached.

Tomix equips its locomotives with shiny, silver wheels. Not to everyone's taste.

DCCing might be an issue. Only Kato produces DCC friendly trains. For non DCC-reading trains, I don't think there is much difference in DCCing a Kato, Tomix or MA locomotive. I know some people had to mill the inside of their locs. There are some guides online.

Edit: I used to own MA A1778, from 2008, it was a very nice model and a good runner. But MA hasn't produced an EF65 since 2011. Tomix and Kato have more recent version that should be findable in shops.

For second hand models, my limit is around 2008/2007. I rarely buy anything older.

Edited by disturbman
Peter Osborne

Thanks for your reply it seems perhaps KATO seems the best choice with my DCC , as I’ve mentioned in other posts I’m interested in a HOT 7000 and you kindly replied there may be a chance KATO are introducing one with the MA spares situation I might wait for this to arrive pity no Ocean Arrow 

I would have added a JRF just onto my freight locos oddly enough yesterday I took delivery of the MA HoKi 10000 8 car set I did want to convert this and my UBE tankers to the KATO knuckles but see a Japan based modeller has done this on his blog and a bit of work involved so will leave the rapidlos on, I did consider swapping the trucks to KATO ones but a bit pricey just for couplings 

If the locomotive is not DCC-ready, I don't think it will make any difference if you buy Kato or anything else.

Swaping couplers can be an issue. I dont know the situation with MA HoKI 10000 or the UBE tankers, I know MA WaMus (which are amazing models) can be a bit difficult to convert to Kato or Tomix couplers. Do you have the link about the coupler swapping for the sets you mentioned?

The MicroAce bogie mount couplers usually convert to Kato knuckles when you file/cut them a bit in height.

For DCC conversion I‘d go with the Kato one, that can have a Digitrax-board fitted which should work almost plug and play. There is a list somewhere in the DCC section saying what Kato loco can hold which decoder board.

• Thanks 1
Peter Osborne

I did consider something called a hunt coupling that’s available here in the UK they are small and fit into most rapido pockets they are very small magnets and very strong too , as my trains run in fixed sets it doesn’t matter about uncoupling, 

Yes, I was going to add you can always convert all the couplers but one and keep one Rapido on the lead car. It could be worth trying one of those hunt coupling.

Edit: @Peter OsborneYour link shows an easy modification of the GM coupler. From what I can see, he only cut the little extrusion at the back of the coupler.

Edited by disturbman
Peter Osborne
3 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Yes, I was going to add you can always convert all the couplers but one and keep one Rapido on the lead car. It could be worth trying one of those hunt coupling.

I will order a pack and see the lead loco will be either KATO EF5/210 between the 2 sets hence the Kato knuckle 

Peter Osborne
17 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Edit: @Peter OsborneYour link shows an easy modification of the GM coupler. From what I can see, he only cut the little extrusion at the back of the coupler.

There was this as well 

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kazushiro_c6217/archives/25334523.html

Peter Osborne

I’ve also just found this footage so you know if the GM will couple up to the KATO knuckle coupler on my locos? Will see if ROKKO can get me a couple of packs 

1 hour ago, Peter Osborne said:

He cut part of the bottom of the coupler. Maybe harder than the first example but still doable with a sharp hobby knife.

1 hour ago, Peter Osborne said:

I’ve also just found this footage so you know if the GM will couple up to the KATO knuckle coupler on my locos? Will see if ROKKO can get me a couple of packs 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BO93W4MfaY

Nice video. I think they are, the link I provided earlier shows a MA WaMu equipped with GM couplers coupled with a Kato EH10. @roadstar_na6will confirm or infirm the compatibility. He is our resident expert.

Edited by disturbman
Peter Osborne
12 minutes ago, disturbman said:

He cut part of the bottom of the coupler. Maybe harder than the first example but still doable with a sharp hobby knife.

Nice video. I think they are, the link I provided earlier shows a MA WaMu equipped with GM couplers coupled with a Kato EH10. @roadstar_na6will confirm or infirm the compatibility. He is our resident expert.

Thanks 

I’ve dropped a mail to Rokko with a small order see if they can get me 2 packs of the  GM knuckles and put in with my kokis save on postage, I know very little Japanese , did the guy who uploaded the GM conversion modify the GM in anyway? I think they are the same truck so should fit both 

I have no experience with the Greenmax couplers, but to my knowledge they couple to the Kato ones.

My MicroAce rolling stock (D52 SL and HoKi6600) had to have their Kato knuckles modified in order to fit since they were pointing upwards when installed without shaving off some height. I have Kato 11-702 fitted to all of them but initially wanted to fit Kato Roundhouse Shortening Couplers to the HoKi, but they were too short and hit the hand rail assembly.

• Thanks 1