Micromotor Conversion Kits

Tony Galiani

I see that DM-Toys is now selling these motor replacement kits for various Arnold, Fleischmann and Minitrix locomotives.  Has anyone tried one yet?  I have some older Fleischmann and Minitrix diesels that might benefit from repowering.

I am undecided as 1 - I am not sure how good these kits really are and 2 - I have been so busy with my Japanese layout projects that my German themed project is on hold.  However, if these really improve the running qualities of these older locomotives I might give them a try.

Any info appreciated.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

I should read twice and click once ....

I did find a youtube channel for Micomotor showing the conversion for various locomotives.  Doesn't look too hard though there are a couple of bits I did not quite understand, particularly about gluing on the adapter to the motor shaft in the case of the Fleischmann model I watched being converted.

There are a couple of tasks that are at the limit of my skill set - pulling off the worms from the original motor and soldering new connections.  The rest looked readily doable for me.

The video demonstrated the conversion but did not show before and after running of the locomotive so not sure how much the running qualities would be improved.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been eyeballing them too, as I have a Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-0 with a fried motor which would be a perfect candidate. I'm mostly worried about pressing the flywheel and worm onto the motor shaft, as they have a habit of bending in my experience.

Hadn't thought about the possibility of bending the motor shape.  Thanks for the heads up.

My BR 218s may have to just remain as "express" locomotives!

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

I switched out the motor on an old Fleischmann BR 103 a few years ago. It wasn’t too hard to remove the worm gear. No bent drive shafts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't want to bother installing it myself in an old Arnold NS Motorpost so I let one of the official dealers do it for me. I am VERY happy with it! Excellent service and well performing engine.

• Like 2

I may give it a try then! I have two of the Ivatts, they weren't wonderful when new (noisy for some reason) and the one which does still run hasn't improved much. If I can get it to work reliably on the dead one I'll convert both.