DCC Decoders For Kato and Tomix

cbet

Hello.  So I'm plunging into DCC and have a few models to convert.  I'll be using the Fleischmann/Roco z21 control.   I tried to google, but can't locate exactly.  I also looked in a couple of threads here but no luck.  Please let me know any leads for the right motor/headlights decoders and any experience in installing these for the following:

- Kato 0/2000 Shinkansen #10-1132

- Kato 500 Shinkansen #10-510

- Tomix J.R. Limited Express KIHA 183, "The Asahiyama Zoo" #92988

- Tomix 800 Shinkansen #92836

I appreciate any help.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum cbet! 

Those models as far as I am aware are not DCC ready.  In general Kato newer releases (which don't use older moldings) are sometimes DCC ready, while Tomix modes are almost never designed for DCC.  That said if you are comfortable with a little disassembly and soldering it isn't too hard to install a decoder.  For the motor car you can easily add a wired motor decoder.  The cab cars are a lot more tricky but with some work can also be converted!  When I get home I can share some photos showing how I go about installing decoders in those non DCC ready Japanese models.

@Kiha66  Thanks for that info.  Yes, I don't mind some disassembly and a little soldering, as long as I have a clue to what I'm doing.  I'd hate to destroy any of these trains; I got them while I was in Japan, and, unfortunately, not planning to go back anytime soon.  And I'd appreciate if you can tell me how to select decoders that would fit and would work on these non-DCC friendly motors and cab cars.

I use decoders that are RailCom compatible since your command staton should be RailCom compatible.

TCS, ESU, Zimo, D&H are the major ones.  There may be others.

TCS is an American company while ESU and D&H are German Zimo is Austrian.   aAll but D&H are readily available in the US easily.  D&H seem to not have much presence at online retailers (never mind LHS) in the US.  I've imported all my D&H from Germany (I mostly use D&H and TCS with a small contingent of ESU and Zimo -- like single or a couple).  I may start using more Zimo and ESU in the future due to their availability and the new EM13 style ESU.  But D&H are nice and usually a bit less expensive.

With TCS, you'll want to make sure you are getting new stock as older revisions of their decoders did not support RailCom.

Assuming you are US based.  If based elsewhere, availability of one or more of the above maybe better or worse.

Edited by chadbag
21 minutes ago, cbet said:

@Kiha66  Thanks for that info.  Yes, I don't mind some disassembly and a little soldering, as long as I have a clue to what I'm doing.  I'd hate to destroy any of these trains; I got them while I was in Japan, and, unfortunately, not planning to go back anytime soon.  And I'd appreciate if you can tell me how to select decoders that would fit and would work on these non-DCC friendly motors and cab cars.

Here is the install for the 10-510. This was done 10 years ago and a number of server moves so the links are messed up. I tried to place them back. I will give to a good idea 

of the task especially you are new to it.

Kato JR 500 10-510 DCC Digitrax DN163

Inobu

You will see that I don't proof read........and grammarly was non existence.

• Like 2

@chadbag I'm currently living in Italy and I've seen my small local shop carry some ESU decoders.  In looking at ESU site I think the only EM13 style ESU cards are with sound.  I didn't see just a motor function ESU EM13.  The ESU card is much more expensive than the Kato EM13 without sound for sure.  For JP bullet trains, sound may not be all that interesting.

3 minutes ago, cbet said:

@chadbag I'm currently living in Italy and I've seen my small local shop carry some ESU decoders.  In looking at ESU site I think the only EM13 style ESU cards are with sound.  I didn't see just a motor function ESU EM13.  The ESU card is much more expensive than the Kato EM13 without sound for sure.  For JP bullet trains, sound may not be all that interesting.

Where in Italy?

Just now, cbet said:

There is a project on the forum here where a member designed an EM13 compatible board to be used with D&H decoders.  Ie, you take this board and solder the DH05C decoder to it (or with a different version of the board a PD05A decoder though the DH05C is much easier to deal with an a "better" decoder).  You then have an EM13 compatible decoder board for trains that use it, and you are using a D&H decoder.

You can get the boards made easily from Chinese on-demand places online.     Almost all my EM13 based KATO models run on this board and D&H decoders.

Zimo makes an EM13 motor decoder specially for the Lemke/KATO ICE4 model.  Some people have had luck using the decoder in Japanese trains while others were not so lucky.  It is not on Zimo's website since it is a special one sold under the Lemke name.

4 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Almost all my EM13 based KATO models run on this board and D&H decoders

@chadbag You've made these hybrid EM13 boards before? Or do you mean you are using the Kato EM13?  I'd like to check this project you mention.

7 minutes ago, cbet said:

Northern Italy, closest town is Pordenone/Aviano.

oh, There was/is an Air Base there.

I was in the south. Really enjoyed it. Miss it too....

8 minutes ago, inobu said:

oh, There was/is an Air Base there

Yes, I actually work on this base.  I miss the travel...can't do that these days.  Might as well start converting my locos.

6 hours ago, cbet said:

Hello.  So I'm plunging into DCC and have a few models to convert.  I'll be using the Fleischmann/Roco z21 control.   I tried to google, but can't locate exactly.  I also looked in a couple of threads here but no luck.  Please let me know any leads for the right motor/headlights decoders and any experience in installing these for the following:

- Kato 0/2000 Shinkansen #10-1132

- Kato 500 Shinkansen #10-510

- Tomix J.R. Limited Express KIHA 183, "The Asahiyama Zoo" #92988

- Tomix 800 Shinkansen #92836

I appreciate any help.

The only one of these that I've converted is the Kato 500. It's doable but it's very tricky. Take your time with it. If you run into any trouble make a thread here and post some pictures. You'll get some helpful guidance. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, cbet said:

@chadbag You've made these hybrid EM13 boards before? Or do you mean you are using the Kato EM13?  I'd like to check this project you mention.

Yes, I had the boards made and I use them with DH05C boards in most of my EM13 trains.

2 minutes ago, cbet said:

@chadbag This is interesting that you can have this on a EM-style card.  What is the advantage of this over the Kato EM13s?

It allows me to use the D&H decoder.  One thing the D&H decoder has that the EM13 does not have is RailCom.  WIth standard EM13 you don't have RailCom.

I also use D&H for my hard wired decoder installations so I use the same decoders in most of my trains doing it this way.

• Like 1

@chadbagI'll check out that thread you sent me.  Is there a huge price difference between the standard EM13 and the alternative?  Did you say you just order them that way or you still have to solder them together, the EM13 shell and the D&H decoder?

40 minutes ago, cbet said:

@chadbagI'll check out that thread you sent me.  Is there a huge price difference between the standard EM13 and the alternative?  Did you say you just order them that way or you still have to solder them together, the EM13 shell and the D&H decoder?

You have to solder them together yourself.  This is a DIY.  

Depending on where you get your EM13, it s often less expensive to buy an EM13.  The DIY boards per piece are not very expensive (depending on how many you make).  And depending on where you are getting your D&H decoders they could be less or more.  They are in the same ball park.

Edited by chadbag
1 minute ago, chadbag said:

The DIY boards per piece are not very expensive (depending on how many you make).  And depending on where you are getting your D&H decoders they cold be less or more.  They are in the same ball park.

We need a US dealer for those things. I wonder would Ironplanethobbies be interested in taking it on. Just between you and I it would probably earn them enough to make it worth their while! 😜