Clearances and Inclines

Kanpai Keith

Hi to the wonderful gurus of JNS 🥰

I’m currently planning out my first permanent layout, it’s going to be quite compact & portable as we are planning 2 home moves in the next 2 years.  I’ve looked and found generic information for clearances of tunnes/bridges and recommended inclines, but from experience what have you guys found you can get away with.  Only looking to run 3 to 5 car multi units and short 8 - 10 wagon freight trains, pantographs raised.

Any and all advice would but welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you

Keith

45mm from rail head is about the minimum clearance while not looking too unrealistic, though you could probably get away with 40mm in hidden sections (check pantograph clearances carefully, particularly the single-arm ones).

20 ~ 25% gradient is about the steepest you'd want; in general Japanese stock is good with coping with steeper gradients compared to say modern British outline N gauge, but you should test the trains you plan to run anyway.

Thanks @railsquid 20% gradient in old school is what 1 in ???  

At a guess 0% is flat 100% is vertical, so that’s about 1 in 5? or 18 degrees.

Edited by Kanpai Keith

Keith,

most model rr grades are 2-4% for usual trains. Longer trains of course more engines or lower grades. Once you start going over 4% things can get tough. Like inobu said do a little testing. Some don’t mind running the throttle at 11 to get a train up a grade or running it at 200mph+ at points so it can get up the grade at a reasonable speed w.o touching the throttle. All in how you run your trains. Steep grades that require a lot more throttle to get up can also ware on trains. Short trains you can get away with more. Again inobu sites wisdom test for yourself. One of our clubmembers did up to like 6% grades and had to run his trains crazy on them (usually 6-8 car trains) and I had to repair a burned out motor and a few drive shafts and a lot of lubing as they would start really grinding after some use like that! But he had fun with it and didn’t care, but I would not enjoy it. To each his own, so good to find your own out. 

always good to just get some basic track and experiment with things to see what you like and don’t like before diving into a specific track plan.

3% is around the usual compromise so you need a couple of meters to get high enough for good clearance over lower level track. On a small 2m loop that means 75% of your track is on a grade.

percent grade is just rise over run 

grade % = (rise/run)x100

jeff

• Like 3