Mixing containers by different manufacturers

Peter Osborne

Peter Osborne

Hi

I don’t know if this has been asked before but is it possible that the TOMIX and other manufacturers containers will fit without modification onto the KATO koki’s, I have several of the KATO cars and like some of the TOMIX 20ft tanktainers and don’t want to buy if they won’t fit.

These photos however show that Tomix either intentionally or unintentionally got something wrong in terms of compatibility with others.

Also I have to say that the Containers on my Kato Chiki5000 are different to the ones of the Tomix Truck Collection ones and can‘t be interchanged.

My KoKis are Tomix and my containers a mix of Tomix an Hogaraku. Never had an issue so far.

@Peter Osborneyou could run a mixed consist of Kato and Tomix KoKis.

Edited by disturbman

I have all Kato Kokis and one Tomix Komu, along with a mix of Kato and Tomix containers, and the containers are interchangeable for the most part.  However, JNR-era containers and cars (Kato’s, at least) such as the Koki 5500 and ChiKi 5000 are slightly smaller, and these will not be interchangeable with the JR Freight-era equipment.  The Tomix Komu and its two containers, despite being JNR, are still consistent with the JR Freight dimensions, so those can be interchanged with the JR Freight cars and containers if one desires to do so (I treat everything in my collection as one fleet).

• Thanks 1