Kato TGV POS power car help?

GCS

Hi all,

I’ve just purchased a second hand Kato TGV POS (K10914-1), it’s in great condition but, turns out the motor car was dcc chipped and poorly (the motor has solder fluid in the copper core...no idea how they managed that).

I’m going to keep the set but am looking for a replacement power units and I might as well upgrade the boards to match.

TGV POS, Lyria, Duplex units are long sold out but with the new Thalys PBKA due very soon, that power unit is ready for preorder. Does anyone know if it would be likely to fit the TGV POS bodyshell?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10749757

Guy

Edited by GCS

at 99,99% yes, I put on pre-order 11 + relative bogies (1 is for an old PBKA first release with DCC "update" like your and other for kitbashing my old Lima/Minitrains fleet)

I don't see reason for modify molds, for what I saw on my fleet just the PCB has been modified for DCC, and the new one can be fit in the old releases

(eventually, if you buy one and it's not good let me know, I have more TGV to upgrade)

ciao!

Massimo

All TGV/AVE post orange TGV-SudEste chassis are the same. The only difference is the PCB board from the "big box" TGV's and "green box" TGV's. So yes a replacement chassis will in all likelyhood fit. I do not have any experience with exchanging the bottom plastic however; if you are able to do that then go right ahead.

P.S.: All motors and PCB's are interchangeable and individually replaceable rather easily. So if it's just the motor and PCB that's wonky, then you can easily replace just those and keep the bogies/bottom plastic in place. DO KEEP TRACK OF THE LITTLE PLASTIC BIT THAT HOLDS THE PCB IN PLACE! DO NOT LOSE IT!

• Like 1

All good advice guys, thanks for your input.

I’ve preordered the new Thalys PBKA with a bunch of parts including a power unit so fingers crossed it all works. I’ve looked at photos/videos of the TGV Lyria, Duplex, Euromed and I’m positive you are right Massimo, the main power car and chassis all look identical so I have faith. 

Poor dcc chipped power car aside, I’ve got a new mint condition TGV POS for around £80...can’t really complain 🤷‍♂️

Guy

Edited by GCS
  • Like 1

I own a lot of TGV's and did exactly the swapping out just for funsies to figure out what exactly makes a TGV narcoleptic so yes I can confirm that it works without issue.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1