JR Freight Research Cabins

disturbman

Stumbled upon these funky research containers.

https://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/004/982/39/N000/000/013/144771015896085333179_DS15111619.jpg

Anybody knows what's their purpose? "Research Cabin" somehow sounds very Japanese.

Only info I could find is that it was "developed to carry out running tests of the M250 ‘Super Rail Cargo’ freight EMU". Which doesn't really say anything.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2
Das Steinkopf

I haven't found any real info on them but have seen numerous photos, my assumption would be that are also used to test new types of stock when they enter service checking the overall running characteristics of the the stock loaded and unloaded at a variety of speeds etc.

Das Steinkopf

Following on from my earlier comment I found this video where they have coupled a KoKi 200 to the test wagon to do some diagnostics on the KoKi 200 as there had been a number of derailments of that wagon type when they were running empty, you can see how there are a number of sensors including on the wheels, axleboxes and bearings to see what faults can be picked up.

Edited by disturbman
link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I see, a measurement lab to assess running characteristics. I would have expected these tests to have been conducting differently, and before commissioning. But I guess you can't install equipment inside a freight car.

With that name, I would have imagined it was an isolation unit to test the effects of long space flights on the human psyche. Being moved around for months without having any possibility to escape or change your course  😁

• Haha 3

It's bigger inside than on the outside.

@cteno4I had seen that, but the "decals" are a bit off putting. I wouldn't mind it without any markings.

Edited by disturbman

You mean you don’t like their graphics or having to make decal? It does as just the 3d printed unit. I ordered one of these a year or so ago, I’ll dig it out, it was a decent print if memory serves me right (I miss my chairman and iron chef!)

admitted the pink band is not very attractive graphic work! But what can you say it’s dr gray square box...

jeff

jeff thats just what i need for my outer loop!! ha i see im not the only one with bumpy joints!!   ha nice use of c clamps also to hold the wiring to the wagon too

Lol @Jimbo maybe Kato will make a real model test train that will beep and light up at bad joints or dirty rail bits!

@disturbman the decals don’t come with it you have to make your own. luckily pretty easy ones to make with inkjet printer, but definitely can pt make a tin and clean of ones as silk screening decals or direct pad printing we are all use to.

Also 3D printed so not quite the detail resolution of a nice moulded on. Also looked like a thick paint application on it and may not have used a leveling primer on the print. 

jeff