JR East orders new towing equipment

disturbman

The E197 look to have cabs on each end of the motor units.  The consist may be breakable if this is the case.

It is an interesting concept go to EMU like MOW equipment.  Should save on training purposes etc etc if say the controls are familia etc.  Still training involved, but a lot less intensive compared to learn about a whole new loco.

Possibly, but seeing how the announcement is worded, I don't think it would be the case.

It's a good and sensical move. It's not like Japan never had any MU MOW equipment before. There has been a few over the years. It would be interesting to see if the other JRs go the same way. JR West still has a few KuMoHa 145 in service. Co-development or co-ordering has become more and more common this past few years.

I would love to have a model of that GV-E197.

Initially I thought it looked like a fairly inflexible design, but with the dual cabs they could do all sorts of things using the power units independent of the hopper cars.  I wonder how they compare to a DE10 in power.  If JR East is satisfied with these, it probably makes a small order of DD200s even less likely.

• Like 2

I noticed that GV-E197s have Janney couplers, while GV-E196s have Shibata coupler and connecting both types requires an adaptor. That's interesting.

• Like 1

Finally got a look at this (as for some reason the links would not work for me at first).  I really like the concept and if/when this is ever available as a model, I would like to get one.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Any idea what the various boxes and canisters on the platforms of the hoppers contain? Test equipments or are the hoppers motorized? I never seen so much equipment on a freight car. The hoppers are also much longer than they need to be.

Edited by disturbman

Really interesting train! I’d love a model of it! come on micro ace!

My first thought was those were generators on the hopper ends, but not sure. Big vertical cabinet looks like an heavy electrical box. Canisters, maybe fuel, air, herbicide?

jeff

They might be generators. The hoppers are classified as GV, which is why I’m thinking they might be motorized. These are big. GV is for diesel electrics.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Any idea what the various boxes and canisters on the platforms of the hoppers contain? Test equipments or are the hoppers motorized? I never seen so much equipment on a freight car. The hoppers are also much longer than they need to be.

Surge tanks for brakes.

Control systems for pneumatic gear for hopper covers and dropper covers.

But dont know what the other 17 things would be for.  haha

Edited by katoftw

Clearer pictures: https://train-fan.com/jre-hoki-rollout/#toc3

And the wikipedia page for the HoKi 800 for comparison: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄ホキ800形貨車

Have been looking around Japanese railfans conversations. Lots of questions about the nomenclature of those hoppers. I haven't found an explanation for the "generator box" yet. Part of the equipment on the other side of the hopper is apparently for remote controlling the release of the ballast from the GV-E197. The train fan article also speaks about it: "JR East / Niigata Transys has obtained a patent for remote control related to ballast spraying in the past, and it can be inferred that it is used in this vehicle. We are waiting for more detailed information in the future."

• Like 3

Hoki 1100s for example have a far bit of extra gear over the Hoki 800. But it is all those stainless steel boxes that are big extras on these 196s.  The remote control gear explanation makes sense.

• Like 1

If they put beefy enough traction motors in it could probably have more grunt than an EF510. The Rhätische Bahn Allegra units can haul the same loads as a loco, despite resembling a mutant tram. The old BR 4-Rep units had more or less the same power output as some sizable locos of their time (designed to handle eight trailer coaches plus the two unpowered coaches within the REP, and capable of 100mph even if they weren't supposed to...).

And a complete video overview:

JR East plans to introduce the "GV-E197 series railcar" for crushed stone transportation and the "E493 series train" for towing vehicles after the spring of 2021.

Prior to that, the completed GV-E197 series was transported from the rolling stock factory in Niigata Prefecture to the Niitsu Depot adjacent to Niitsu Station on January 20, 2021 (Type A Transport). After vehicle maintenance in the Niitsu Depot, a test run was conducted between Niitsu and Yashiroda on the 25th.

The GV-E197 series is a vehicle for crushed stone transportation and crushed stone spraying work. Since it is an electric railcar, it can run on both electrified and non-electrified sections. It is the same drive system as the GV-E400 series in Niigata and Akita. It will be used to replenish crushed stone called roadbed ballast, which is worn by train running. The middle four hopper cars are for storing ballast. It will also be used for shunting vehicles in non-electrified sections and towing deadhead trains.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, Welshbloke said:

If they put beefy enough traction motors in it could probably have more grunt than an EF510. The Rhätische Bahn Allegra units can haul the same loads as a loco, despite resembling a mutant tram. The old BR 4-Rep units had more or less the same power output as some sizable locos of their time (designed to handle eight trailer coaches plus the two unpowered coaches within the REP, and capable of 100mph even if they weren't supposed to...).

The REP was rated at least 3000 hp, I believe and the motors were transferred to the units that replaced them. (Class 442?)