JNR Liveries / Livery Eras

serotta1972

Is the JNR Original 2 Tone Vermillion and Biege Livery simply just known as the "JNR Original 2 Tone Livery" or does it have a name?  I mainly see this livery on express trains both EMU and DMU - was it also used for commuter or suburban trains?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiHa_52#/media/File:Kiha52115-oitoline-20070324.jpg

And for the,  JNR 2 Tone Blue and Biege Livery - is it called the Yokosuka Color or is that referring to a line?  Also, I've noticed that this color combination is used for both commuter and express trains as well for locomotives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiHa_52#/media/File:Kiha52_125.JPG

I was also going to ask about the Shonan Color but there's already a thread on that one.

If I were to start over collecting Japanese trains - I would only get trains in these 3 liveries and I would still cover a good range of trains from Shinkansens to Commuter Trains.  I love solid colors and contrasting full window bands.  

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

Is the JNR Original 2 Tone Vermillion and Biege Livery simply just known as the "JNR Original 2 Tone Livery" or does it have a name?  I mainly see this livery on express trains both EMU and DMU - was it also used for commuter or suburban trains?

The color on that dmu is not the limited express livery, that would be cream #4 and red #2.  The dmu is in standard dmu colors of shuiro (vermillion) #4 and cream #4.

And for the,  JNR 2 Tone Blue and Biege Livery - is it called the Yokosuka Color or is that referring to a line?

It is referring to the line where that color scheme first appeared on EMUs.  The Yokosuka line was one of the first lines to introduce emu service.  The term Suka iro is only used for suburban/local emus, in other types it is not.

This wiki article has all the color chips:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84%E8%89%B2

• Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Also, I've noticed that this color combination is used for both commuter and express trains as well for locomotives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiHa_52#/media/File:Kiha52_125.JPG

For commuter and suburban EMUs - yes, they're called as "Yokosuka Colors" (横須賀色, also called as スカ色), but on locomotives, there are two names (which are solely reserved to DC-only locomotives of JNR):

1. Regular Color (一般色) - this livery is primarily carried by most of JNR's "new-performance electric locomotives" (新性能電気機関車) that used on non-top priority passenger and freight trains (especially local passenger trains and mixed freight trains), although EF58 (which is classified as "old electric locomotive" aka 旧型電気機関車) also carried this livery.

2. Limited Express Color (特急色) - in contrast to the above ones, this one is only used by EF60-500, EF65-500, EF65-1000 and EF66-0 (though EF66-0 ones has different pattern, but it is partially included in this category), where those 4 types are assigned to hauling top-priority freight trains and limited express passenger trains (including the Blue Train).

The following photos are examples of how the colors being applied to the locomotives:

1. Regular Color

800px-JRE-EF60-19.JPG

2. Limited Express Color

800px-EF651052_Shinagawa_20010124.jpg

Hope this explains enough for you (^^);

Cheers,

Arya

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501
  • Like 1

Anyone have any information on when liveries with in use and in what regions.

Most interested in the blue/cream and red liveries.

Thank you oracles.

I'm supposing @Kanpai Keith is talking about the classic JNR liveries,  but a bit more context or some links and pictures would be welcomed.

Also, this should probably located in prototypes

• Like 1

So you‘re meaning stuff like DD54 and ED71 compared to EF65 and the like?

I don‘t think there ever was a blue/cream DL in Japan and I can‘t really think of a reason why some ELs would be blue/cream and others would be red 😄 

Edited by roadstar_na6

DC electric locomotives were blue. AC ELs were red.

For more info on the various blue/cream liveries, go up thread. I merged this topic with an older one.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 4

I don't recall any full size ED61's being painted in AC red.  Perhaps you're thinking of the ED71, which look very similar but are AC locomotives?  Brown was the general EL color during the JNR years before the blue/red era, and some later units were painted in brown as throwback/heritage units.  I'd be very interested to see if any full size DC only units were painted this color.

I notice the red ED61 from tomix is only found in a starter set and with a track cleaning car, so I wonder if maybe it's less than prototypical.  I'm certainly not an expert, but I have yet to see any photos of the prototype in red.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

I notice the red ED61 from tomix is only found in a starter set and with a track cleaning car, so I wonder if maybe it's less than prototypical.  I'm certainly not an expert, but I have yet to see any photos of the prototype in red.

Yup, it's a Tomix freelance livery for whatever reasons. The ED61s came in brown, blue and after conversion to ED62 one was in JRF livery for a short time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input guys, it’s a great help, makes sense as to why I can’t find any info on red ED61’s.

Now I’m not at work I can expand a little.  It’s going to be a couple about 2 years before we retire and settle into our forever home, so time and space are an issue for a while.  I’m looking at building a very compact layout using Tomix R140/177 curves, something around 48”x18” that can be stored in the base of our ottoman bed but is easy to get out and transport.  It will also be a great way to start building and modelling my first proper layout.

My main interest longer term is JNR diesel and electric.  So with that in mind I want to invest in stock that will look ok running on tight radius curves i.e. short locos such as ED61/62 which looks great value bundled in the starter pack, in red livery.  So whilst not being prototypical it could be usable and might be an interesting project to repaint?  Having said that the red would not look out of place running with the two Tomix railbuses I have and DD16 I have my eye on.  Plus I’m also going to be “creative” with some coaches so they won’t be prototypical either.

Can anyone recommend other compact locos to me or coaches?

On these kind of radiuses? Shorties would look better.

Otherwise, Tomix ED75 is rated for mini-curves. It’s also very compact. Check Tomytec locomotives, the are very compact. MA Chichibu Deki 200 could also be interesting.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, disturbman said:

On these kind of radiuses? Shorties would look better.

Otherwise, Tomix ED75 is rated for mini-curves. It’s also very compact. Check Tomytec locomotives, the are very compact. MA Chichibu Deki 200 could also be interesting.

I looked at Deki’s but appear thin on the ground and pricey 

Those are some really small radii, not sure if you‘d be happy with how trains look running on them. I‘d try to make at least an outer loop work with 243mm because then you can run (almost) everything you‘d want 🙂

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been asked before, I'm trying to find out about older liveries pre 1987. For Diesel and Electric locos plus coaches, there's brown, blues, greens, orangey reds...very confusing! Thankyou.

Does this merger answer (some of) your questions?

Otherwise, brown coaches were common during the steam era, afterwards the color was changed to blue.

Edited by disturbman
  • Thanks 1

Yes, some. Can't seem to find anything about eras....like the brown on some locos and why DD54s were that orange colour and not blue! Then the huge variety of other liveries. I just like to find stuff out like this.

Diesel locomotives were never blue, they were painted vermillion. Only exception I know of are some DD51s in Hokkaido, wearing a blue and cream color, but I think it was a regional color, and not the same blue as the EL.

You can check the various colors here, https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄色, there is a full clickable list at the end.

As for the ELs, from: https://news.mynavi.jp/article/trivia-71/

"Blue is for DC electrified sections, red is for AC electrified sections JR electric locomotives are painted blue for DC electrified sections and red for AC electrified sections. There are more exceptions these days, but this color is the basis. To be precise with the name of the color established during the JNR era, the electric locomotive for DC is "Blue No. 15", and "Cream No. 1" is used under the front cab. The AC electric locomotive is "Red No. 2".

Prior to this paint color, steam locomotives and freight cars were painted black, and other electric locomotives, passenger cars, and trains were painted brown (grape color No. 1 or 2). In the case of trains, the same color of paint was diverted because "steam locomotives are not conspicuously soiled by soot." Grape color became a hot topic on the chocolate train held on the Yamanote Line in 2009 .

The blue color of the DC electric locomotive was first adopted in the EF60 type 500 series that appeared in 1960. This is a color that matches the 20-series sleeper passenger car that debuted in the same blue color, and like the passenger car, a cream-colored band was put on the side to give a sense of unity to the entire formation. Then, in 1965, the Japanese National Railways unified the DC electric locomotives into Blue 15 and Cream 2. The 0 series of EF60 type was a traditional vine color, but for this reason it was all repainted with Blue 15 and Cream No. 2. The same was true for other locomotives, and the DC electric locomotive turned blue.

The red color of the AC electric locomotive is the first ED45 type that appeared in 1955. This is Japan's first locomotive made for testing an AC electrified section and is painted red to distinguish it from conventional locomotives. This color is inherited by the subsequent AC electric locomotives. Also, the AC / DC locomotives that can run on both AC and DC sections are painted pink. The color name of the national railway is "Red No. 13", which is called rose pink or salmon pink. This color was adopted for the ED46 type, which was introduced to the Joban Line in 1959."

Edited by disturbman
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BarryG said:

That is perfect, many thanks. So when did the Brown livery last to?

On locomotives, in regular use as an original livery, AFAIK until 1986. when the last EF15s were withdrawn.

A few of EF58s also continued in brown, particularly the Imperial Train regulars EF58 60 and EF58 61, and around 1987 EF64 1001 and DE10 1705 were painted brown for excursion train use, though those classes never carried it originally. Various other locos have been painted brown over the years.

13 hours ago, disturbman said:

Diesel locomotives were never blue, they were painted vermillion. Only exception I know of are some DD51s in Hokkaido, wearing a blue and cream color, but I think it was a regional color, and not the same blue as the EL.

DF50s and DD50s, and some DD13s started off brown. There were also some experimental liveries, mainly on experimental locos, e.g. (easier to show in model form):

49574325547_1ab2f3607e_z.jpg

MicroAce DF90 (DF90-1) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

50999485661_fdb7255c47_z.jpg
MicroAce DF91-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(above 3 models represent the same loco at different points in its life).

The Hokkaido blue DD51s were for the Hokutosei services.

• Thanks 2