Tomix DF50 and コキ50000 / コキフ50000

al camino

I’ve preordered the orange standard model. I know the prestige come with metal hand rails and air hoses but i enjoy the detailing. Those Kokis are very tempting. 

KOKI5000 preorder just "sold out" at 1999 HS.

For the DF I am not shure if as the budget has some limits and some other preordered items are in waiting loop.

The prestige are too expensive for my taste.

Ami Ami are still currently taking preorders on the Koki and Kokifu.

The DF50s were a technical disaster but still a nice looking locomotive. They were still being used in Kyushu on the non electrified part of the Nippo Line until the early 80s so good to have something else to pull part of my 25 series Fuji. I’d also like a DD54 but not sure anyone non brass is making these any more.

The DF50s were a technical disaster? I know they were underpowered, but I never heard they were a disaster like the DD54s. They soldiered on pretty long, unlike the DD54s.

Edited by disturbman
56 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I’d also like a DD54 but not sure anyone non brass is making these any more.

Zoukei Mura makes one in H0

I have the DD54 an love the nice engine.

The single supporting wheel in center is such a lovely detail.

Tons of grabs to be installed by user.

Edited by al camino
typo as usual, amended "wheel"
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

The DF50s were a technical disaster but still a nice looking locomotive.

I deeply hope this counts only for the prototype and the Tomix engine is as Tomix as always.

Edited by al camino
typo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, disturbman said:

The DF50s were a technical disaster? I know they were underpowered, but I never heard they were a disaster like the DD54s.

Well not so much a disaster i suppose but built and then superseded very quickly by the nationally adopted DD51s. I read that the acceleration was poor due to them not able to mount a larger output engine on the axles used. Also parts were expensive as many had to be shipped in from overseas. 

Edited by Kamome
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Zoukei Mura makes one in H0

Yes, annoyingly missed out on one a few years ago. I’d prefer an early type with the roof mounted headlights but the middle production is still ok.

Just found that Volks still have them on their online site. Also one of my friendly local shops is classed as a “Friend Shop” so might look into it. This year just got more expensive.

Edited by Kamome
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

Yes, annoyingly missed out on one a few years ago. I’d prefer an early type with the roof mounted headlights but the middle production is still ok.

Just found that Volks still have them on their online site. Also one of my friendly local shops is classed as a “Friend Shop” so might look into it. This year just got more expensive.

At least the latest type is available at Menzels Lokschuppen (Germany)

The other ones can be ordered.

Oh yes I'd preferred the roof mounted headlights (I love the big single beam ones) but as you said the version with the large corner windows did it for me as well.

• Thanks 1

Question about year of re-painting the DF50 from grape to vermillion.

I still did not decide for the DF50.

The budget might be o.k. for June release.

The Odakyu Type 3100 by ENDO had been relesed this month and will empty the budget in April.

Until June it might have recoreverd.

And I am not sure if the grape of vermilliion is the better choice.

Built 1957-1963, retired 1983.

Saw a lot of pages via goolgle translation but none of it carried any date except HS(1999) telling "mid-1960s it was changed to a paint mainly of vermilion".

But I am looking for date when the repainting started and when the last one lost her grape livery.

Can anyone of you help?

Many thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, al camino said:

But I am looking for date when the repainting started and when the last one lost her grape livery.

Reaching down under my desk, I find among the growing pile of magazines lurking there a copy of The Railway Pictorial No. 948 (August 2018) which states (p. 3) that the first locomotive of the class to be repainted in vermillion was DF50 13, in 1963, though the lower grey stripe was apparently a slightly lighter grey than used for the later standard livery.

I can't see anything about when the repainting finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks railsquid

One half answered within 20 minutes. I sat here longer to find out nothing precise.

I tend to the older liveries but the vermillion looks far more attracting.

Now I think grape passenger cars would be quite o.k. behind a vermillion DF50.

• Like 1

The DF50 page on the Kato website states somewhat less precisely: "DF50 茶は、昭和40年(1965)頃まで見られた登場時の塗色であった茶色塗装を製品化", i.e. "the model represents the DF50 in the original brown livery as it was painted up until around 1965".

I have only the brown livery as it's the livery from the time the DF50s ran on the Chuo Line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted a DF50 representing the ones used on the Nippo Line blue trains before electrification so the red was an easy choice for me. There was a slim timeline when Tokyo to Kyushu Blue trains used 24 series coaches before electrification was completed and ED76s took over.

The Tomix HO DF50 page mentions that unit 13 was painted in Vermillion in 1963 as a test. The original grape brown was supposedly to combat the excessive soot from the existing steam traffic. 

Kato website states the brown versions were seen pulling trains comprised of brown 35 or 43 series coaches or freight trains made up of mainly black wagons. I sometimes find the Kato information is only relevant to Kato products rather than historic accuracy.

1957-1965 Brown(1963 DF 50 513 red)

1965-1985 Red

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know the companies very well posting just the samples that fit best to their own products.

Avoiding any hint that might customer lead to products of another brand.

I read somewhere while searching for the dates that the long exhaust leading the fumes to the roof vent made the whole roof area suffering from agressive diesel smoke. But I only read this had been done when changing the color from grape to vermillion. No other details.

Edited by al camino
amended the exhaust thing

I think I made my decision and will choose the grape#2 DF50.

I want to have a train with grape colored coaches and and/or a mixed freight also with grape coaches.

And also because my other diesels are vermillion (DD54, DD51, DE10).

I love to have variety in my collection.

Edited by al camino
mad -> made
  • Like 1