Random photos of stations I have visited

mojo

ACtC-3ezA6fCl5dU7kAXu8pjorF8O8AVNQRH-p3v

These are the steps at the Akihabara terminal of the Tsukuba Express line. As you can see they have put the depressingly tiny number of calories burned with each step on there, presumably to encourage you to take them instead of the escalator. Incidentally some karaoke machines have this feature as well, at the end of the song they tell you that you burned 7 calories singing it.

ACtC-3d1BuXWX4OI2bKJEo35YLUnYC1bKukTHGZk

Kichijoji Chuo line platform view of the town centre. Kichijoji is one of the nicest places in Japan to live. Again you can see that there are not many street lights, most of the light is from signage and decorations.

ACtC-3eH8XyxQQ8__3R0cQVAH-nTRhq4m1pBJcjH

Finally here is a photo of a little garden at Shinjuku Station. Someone made this garden at the unused end of a platform, presumably the station staff. They must work hard to keep it tidy and keep the leaves from going everywhere. You normally find this sort of thing at smaller stations but even Shinjuku, one of the busiest, has these little touches.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this thread!! Something about the variety of locations and subjects just really draws me in. Keep it up!!

If people are interested then after I've finished doing the station related stuff I could post a few more of general Japan, various towns and cities. Could be useful for modelling references, or just for fun.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

ACtC-3eUiOsIvUXVQFdjVr7XKNC3U8WuY5YkV5-r

ACtC-3cRSTzOWOu0TpaSMwwCSbg9ncK5ZjLjpyIK

ACtC-3daH0XZ0A1dn8mgk3xPWwvqkCcVP7X7ggrQ

ACtC-3e8p9ORmXneiMSCL1WHCiGexPCimSBJ7yxi

Keikyu-Tomioka station. Another Hard Off trip. As usual I was more interested in the town than in the station, something I will correct next time!

ACtC-3dHYFFOpOBXSWPsmibF2k5cS18EQDLI7gsG

Same town, a little way from the station. To note here, in the distance down the road you can see it says "school" (スクール) but then I'm not sure about the second word. Looks like "ソーソ" or maybe they are ン, but either way what does it mean?

I'm kinda surprised... How many drivers know the word スクール I wonder.

Edited by mojo
  • Like 4

ACtC-3fB07e5H30YUpjPJDLbLVPqQhuUfGU2eele

Guess where this is.

ACtC-3c9jX2cz0K_nOSFwYFt4fIDbgSiuugAbz6Y

ACtC-3eTdXPGEBkX-FWpb0zLDLcfHDIbNVtAfp3o

Kind of a run down town it seems, although still nice by UK standards. Here you can see the level crossing.

ACtC-3fLdi73CIzYm9qfnCp8r0kfnnV2nfJ7FMFS

ACtC-3cdoUn-N15S3gDi5RzUXPXkPl-ILGmyhTYi

Looking out over the station from the hill. In the background of the first image you can see Yokohama (the skyscraper).

ACtC-3di3qt02OpkkgijhFJsvjB4P1m3i777ez6r

Maybe mopeds are popular here because of the hills.

ACtC-3f3oLJiopD_QcHBPczzNmFyObkw4K9D2Xr-

Some detail of the station. Surprised they bothered putting that ladder to access to the roof there, but then again they rarely do things by halves.

ACtC-3c8c5xodcx07lyCpye8MvilRrVlM_Tyi5s6

The stairway up to the park on the hill, from the station.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, mojo said:

ACtC-3dHYFFOpOBXSWPsmibF2k5cS18EQDLI7gsG

Same town, a little way from the station. To note here, in the distance down the road you can see it says "school" (スクール) but then I'm not sure about the second word. Looks like "ソーソ" or maybe they are ン, but either way what does it mean?

I'm kinda surprised... How many drivers know the word スクール I wonder.

It says:

スクール

ゾーン

i.e "school zone", and anyone literate enough to pass a driving test (often taken with the aid of a ドライビングスクール) will be able to read it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, mojo said:

ACtC-3f3oLJiopD_QcHBPczzNmFyObkw4K9D2Xr-

Some detail of the station. Surprised they bothered putting that ladder to access to the roof there, but then again they rarely do things by halves.

Loving these pictures! Thanks for sharing! This picture really does remind you of the Tomix overpass station.... 

• Like 1

Regarding the "school zone" signage, this usage of "school" (スクール) is universally common, often for more informal educational institutions, such as swimming schools or tennis/golf schools, also language schools, or for International schools. Also used for "school bus"- many private schools contract bus companies to transport students from the nearest train station to their often inaccessible by foot/remotely located campuses. A reason for using the katakana "school zone" characters would be the equivalent in Kanji would be cumbersome, something like [交通安全対策重点地域] or "koutsuanzentaisakujutenchiiki" (traffic safety countermeasures focus area), a real mouthful. 

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3
On 1/19/2021 at 4:45 AM, JR 500系 said:

Loving these pictures! Thanks for sharing! This picture really does remind you of the Tomix overpass station.... 

Thanks. I thought twice about posting that one, thought maybe it was too boring!

ACtC-3eTp2nvIawKgGwpNDGSRmJab-qBlakS0b-8

Soubu Main Line bridge at Akihabara. Everyone has probably seen it before but still... So immaculately clean.

Akihabara has changed a lot in the time I've been visiting. Most of the electronic component shops are gone now, and recently Tsukumo closed as well. The pandemic has hit hard but even before that it was changing more towards computer and hobby stuff, and a lot of restaurants. There are still some good used gear shops, although I prefer Hard Off these days.

ACtC-3c66TRFGHpg1yrQ1XCWxedvqbKkmsaFzM9R

ACtC-3dsgVcVDv5CbmUFx9NOIxynXGVyuKw5mf4p

ACtC-3eE1xTlXgGrbl7ZDvgEH81A8xsatDZA5VKb

ACtC-3esCE7XDjdaUhqgYiRPmxsgZuQjmlbSYgEX

ACtC-3erRxciT-mr3WEf16XLWfVr1y5EiD_jJ4y3

Kawasaki Station.

ACtC-3cbsWA8scxjzM927-7oaI6g_asbbhlyMfEa

Kawasaki Odasakae. I sometimes get to bus to here to visit Hard Off. I snapped this nearby because of the mini vans. You often find vehicles parked neatly like this, carefully spaced to allow access.

• Like 6

ACtC-3fBlN2TmaRjgU5ElS0ie3St0_T1_srK5JlO

ACtC-3dozZIKoZnrx8vylQWqMqSx64Ov7u8-s19B

ACtC-3cf4p7SXIAIEsF9PIuLRjasouVrXW1mqf-t

ACtC-3c-YhBrzCa7JhwZU3F0H-lZ2ma5uo1WZQNm

A few shots of the Asakusa station on the Tsukuba Express line. I've had quite a few things from that vending machine over the years.

This station always struck me a bit odd because of the pillars you can see in the last photo. They are in a really inconvenient place. The platform area is a mirror image of itself so there is an identical one on the other side, with the block in the middle being the elevator. Looking at the first one you can see that the gap beside the stairs/escalator block is quite narrow too. It gets a bit packed at peak times with people lining up.

All the other underground stations on the Tsukuba Express are the same, i.e. could do with being 5-10m wider overall. There must be some reason why they didn't do that, and why they couldn't locate the pillar somewhere less annoying.

• Like 6

ACtC-3eBzAIxORugXGeTEyLZ_fCWLYVLMGeNGDWW

Park in Niiza. I was on my way to Hard Off. Google Maps often suggests walking a kilometre or two, you can tell it to reduce the amount of walking but it's often nice just to see the local neighbourhood.

ACtC-3dahbzljhhFJjL12Yk4P9CipPLI_iL4gt4b

Higashi-Tokorozawa, just outside the station on the Musashino Line. The line runs right under this point and along the dug out part. They must have excavated a lot to sink the lines that much, which I understand was due to the original plan to carry freight and wanting to reduce both noise and potential danger resulting from an accident. Previously there had been a fuel explosion at Shinjuku.

Hard Off is a short walk from here, you just follow the line.

ACtC-3fEMX3M1gpChjID-Ewjju6OYQz1r7zraYR5

ACtC-3epSZNiM3aRVoCZA45uDhJ5gGbYkqAy76wK

ACtC-3fTze8bqS6QO6Avp4oexserY8lJXyKF1bYD

ACtC-3dWCxSeUYP7IEX9_O2-4A8ntbP-zYRTpgam

A few random ones near Seibu-Tachikawa station. The speed limit here is 40 Kph or about 25 Mph. Speed limits in Japan are generally lower than Europe, although trains are usually a lot faster. Driving outside major cities in Japan is really nice, relaxed and easy and lots to see.

• Like 4

ACtC-3eOmlG21z0NHujBSCrYx5hvCSHI-vkFBrsL

Railway bridge in Chiba. Many waterways in Japan are like this, hemmed in with concrete and carefully managed. Note how it is also very clean, no flotsam or jetsam.

ACtC-3dPszadAGUtcx4omWbVCH3K3uRCsff3YnSm

ACtC-3da94_UvEyv6J_cDxrUmAEOzE2iIVtVx-B_

ACtC-3evjqmKHWnn9yKb4lhkBZ4_q5ZoNNwRISmM

ACtC-3dZKgUjBsKg1QwHjuKA1HXQXYnb18rbVe2h

ACtC-3ddYFSLX0I2xZGhK_1v_eZbguR9ojk6yaji

ACtC-3cOp9sMqIYtmRPbzePWIMdRkATBqWBKgWe-

Tsukada. Another thing I love about Japan is how businesses and residences are mixed. In Europe we have vast sprawling residential areas with a few small shops, and town centres where the high street is (or was, some of them are almost dead now). In Japan it's much more mixed.

• Like 4
On 1/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, mojo said:

ACtC-3eTp2nvIawKgGwpNDGSRmJab-qBlakS0b-8

Soubu Main Line bridge at Akihabara. Everyone has probably seen it before but still... So immaculately clean.

Akihabara has changed a lot in the time I've been visiting. Most of the electronic component shops are gone now, and recently Tsukumo closed as well. The pandemic has hit hard but even before that it was changing more towards computer and hobby stuff, and a lot of restaurants. There are still some good used gear shops, although I prefer Hard Off these days.

Umm, the Tsukumo shop I walked past earlier was most definitely open, and there are currently 3 stores in Akihabara:

https://tenpo.tsukumo.co.jp/#tokyoBlock

These kind of places do tend to move around a bit over time, I'm pretty sure at least one Tsukumo store I've previously bought stuff in is no longer there.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, railsquid said:

Umm, the Tsukumo shop I walked past earlier was most definitely open, and there are currently 3 stores in Akihabara:

https://tenpo.tsukumo.co.jp/#tokyoBlock

These kind of places do tend to move around a bit over time, I'm pretty sure at least one Tsukumo store I've previously bought stuff in is no longer there.

I read on Akiba PC Hotline that apparently Tsukumo is planning to close all its shops soon, and move entirely online.  Maybe I misread it and not all are going.

I'll miss them, had a fair few bits from there. I like the music they use in the shops, it's some CD of BGM you can buy with a licence to use it as you see fit, but the CD is really expensive. You can hear it at the start of this video:

The CD is here:

https://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/goods/2340101306662/401070023020140?is_mobile=off

https://www.system5.jp/products/detail6129.html

ACtC-3cTYlYeoB_8fWLTm-mUZCi7wM2f0briJ64M

Higashi-Kurume

ACtC-3dm8T3RRDL1SpphVtIO4xsgratdTyTP40CD

Shimo-Kitazawa. A trendy place with lots of small, independent shops. And of course a small but decent Hard Off.

ACtC-3eWNsKGJqbYMQI3GPz6QYvKBqAcPOJydsCV

Not sure what you would call this, should have paid more attention. It's donburi (rice bowl with meat on top) and cheese, so probably something like cheese & beef donburi. It was delicious.

ACtC-3djiYneUTsEkCJA6E64-pZT7aXqySTQ14yF

Musashi-Koyama shopping street. There are lots of these long, covered shopping streets in Japan and this one is pretty long. This was taken half way down it. I love these streets, great mix of shops with chain stores and independents. Lots of used goods shops here. Mode Off is fashion, if you were wondering.

Random aside: for some reason Google Maps likes to call used goods shops charity shops. Some strange quirk of their classification system.

ACtC-3dp5tLOYwjyEk9oSbnXksTPvUJkw3uMrZRo

ACtC-3ewD6kTWwXdVLUJKszyylejnXt26zzsu522

Tamagawa park. I was on my way to Hard Off when I saw this from the train and decided to stop for a look. Later I found that there is a much bigger one just a stop away so next time I'll visit.

ACtC-3dvOVgyGs_vnUfadr44vb7ksTMliiWlRN5u

Hiyoshi, this is some kind of school, maybe a technical college or university? Lots of students when I passed though, just changing trains.

ACtC-3cbxzD9RhOPjqr4JqQ5JGeQGT29eSjpoDzw

Tonkatsu. This is the basic set, you get the pork cutlets, some shredded lettuce, rice, condiments, miso soup and green tea.

ACtC-3cvLkePjzyR4nLHxQjOtjFLYGhNSmiIL1qT

ACtC-3f9a20xwYFdsWt7nfkyOAqNUjVxGQwrzRHU

Kichijoji, getting maximum utility from this utility pole.

ACtC-3dKVVzw6RrZGbC_LmD6juoJzdQWc6ZLUZyC

This mural is on the back of a department store wall.

ACtC-3euPLmLHo2wFoKOb_VLb4XUVmyp2GqUm6nO

ACtC-3fqzZdsHjsOb8BtqnTTIrcjrKNvnn_h02tC

ACtC-3coYHG8w3hqCcFWNKuvtgVDu9bGtfRAVN57

The back alleys of Nakano. I'm sure this area will come up again because it's a great spot for an evening out or a meal, and very photogenic.

ACtC-3evJJWfegpuXCmq_Fs6-oIYAUK7eK2Z1oMm

View from one of the hotels I was at. Unfortunately I couldn't open the window so there is a lot of reflection.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
HankyuDentetsu

Kichijoji is a wonderful part of the world.

But I've spent a great deal of time in Nakano and absolutely love the place. Probably not a hidden gem anymore, but still a very underrated area of Tokyo to live in. (I realise that being on the Chuo-sen and "underrated" don't really go together, but for many years that's exactly what Nakano has been!)

Keep up the pics! I'm a sucker for west Tokyo (aren't we all?) so the more the better!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

Kichijoji is a wonderful part of the world.

But I've spent a great deal of time in Nakano and absolutely love the place. Probably not a hidden gem anymore, but still a very underrated area of Tokyo to live in. (I realise that being on the Chuo-sen and "underrated" don't really go together, but for many years that's exactly what Nakano has been!)

Keep up the pics! I'm a sucker for west Tokyo (aren't we all?) so the more the better!

I think Nakano is a hidden gem for anime/manga lovers. Everyone knows about Akihabara but it seems like few know about Nakano Broadway.

• Like 1

ACtC-3d2J0zfXVGanGbZ6EKDj2m1MpyGbCpFeGW7

Another Nakano for you. I love how Japanese streets can be very visually busy and interestingly lit, but also very clean and tidy at the same time. Everything stacked neatly.

ACtC-3d1EieF2xeS-Ii-NsCUWcgzyLykvbNKVqEP

ACtC-3fRfESKbZWy1tXd7UayR7_3ZUQ72jGYxzA0

Some interesting vehicles at Hachioji.

ACtC-3eAmvLrDB35aP0CAK7K4Wfk9_TrQb70jN7F

Tokyu Hands in Shinjuku. This is one of the larger shops in the chain. I needed some nail clippers. Another thing I love about Japanese shopping is choice. Here they might have one or two types of nail clipper, they are seen as commodity items. In Japan they have 100 types, cheap to expensive, and shops will stock a selection. It's fun to choose one, comparing all the types and features, and then you feel like you bought something substantial that you can enjoy using. Maybe I'm just weird but I now look forward to my nails getting long because cutting them is so satisfying.

I have too many nail clippers now... The most expensive were about 10,000 yen.

ACtC-3djrrdTWXAJd8Umd-OBsNUkDtwJddGBLx6k

Shinjuku Station from the Times Square building.

ACtC-3dc38wgEzIgcwqPZMdiOmthBZ8WCPqcIUFI

Shinjuku.

ACtC-3d8v-tmWJZFom9-TA-7z2VyfLDiBPCUUzKB

Sensou-ji temple complex in Asakusa.

ACtC-3djXOS9Lp1HSRqbs675WWiS1KSvB1DmbxnK

ACtC-3fB1M-Oxw7yVzTEprYqA06WyZqWdREPMAig

ACtC-3fM342Le_KIBIWd0a-e_OPgLL0bbRlzasb1

ACtC-3eJ_v2KZUyTM7vkn1w8qAULE59OXNIGzjjR

ACtC-3dqJBMoLMMsOvzf7GxiApAtgZNycGBEVzZb

Some more of Kichijoji. The little alley ways where I found this restaurant have an interesting history. The area is known as Harmonica Yokochou (ハモニカ横町). After the war the government was planning to redevelop the site. Some locals waited until all the building materials had arrived on site, then overnight used them to build themselves a market. Eventually the local government allowed it to remain and it thrived, with around 100 small establishments all piled in.

Kichijoji has everything. Big department stores and high end shopping, cheap shops like Daiso and CanDo, unique one-off shops, loads of great restaurants, a lovely park, right on the Chuo line...

• Like 4

ACtC-3dQF8IP6dJhu04m3cNFTFnij4QtvAXIIrhU

Sign at Akihabara station (Tsukuba Express line). Like many stations they embrace the local culture and specialities, in this case manga/anime.

ACtC-3cOM-gIaHkaUr6miGw_-TuBgq0lgoXNoyRn

Curry and soba at a restaurant by the Showa-dori exit. Not quite eki-soba but close, and very cheap.

ACtC-3djhDY5bPG06eo3Mk0VEwQT62x4_PnUAJzc

ACtC-3dgHeR9dV8QvLjIeu75yv6bGRLo1IgZuQyk

Asakusa.

ACtC-3dLjYRoeGBSZWYwBd25HS9EfBetNyUfOczw

Some roadworks in Kichijoji. Only in Japan do you get little  things like this to hold up the temporary barriers.

• Like 3

ACtC-3d4n27npJzsxWYnmGFTOtVCI3PUEpqZhFF4

ACtC-3cObfFVro__A6dhKxf63dzO3EI37UCLXsY6

Inokashira Park, Kichijoji. One of the most famous parks in Tokyo. It's lovely to walk around. Adjacent to the Ghibli museum. I took an really great photo here long ago but only have it on film (that's how long ago it was). Need to get a digital copy somehow.

ACtC-3cgMQme05t557VYclPRFEsk3RCnMwP2qpK6

ACtC-3dSApYmDh1hArvwngkHS5pZJvC7o9zbHuKb

Yokohama. A very walkable city, there are lots of nice places to see. Walking from Yokohama station to China-town, via Minato-Mirai, the seafront and Motomachi is a good way to spend a day.

ACtC-3dHjcvWHF-wkimGjUGhnp5nsQjOHBRX2rE_

ACtC-3fWQIsN2MDB6GIXpOBgiEz2eBl7u8iCwutq

A couple more of Minami-Makigahara.

ACtC-3dozQCnoHR0v45aHSWKz8Qwh33IkdNZUf4B

ACtC-3elOh_eQmwtaz6WGpS8gAbrKm8tO4bfIQQf

Minami-Nagereyama.

• Like 4

ACtC-3dSbgIH930vk1T6q8l5DlA6NBr80hGGmOyf

Aeon Lake Town EV chargers. I should have had a closer look, I have a feeling they might be CHAdeMO (the Japanese standard) only and not support the European CCS type.

Naturally there are 3 Nissan Leafs charging since they were the only major EV in Japan at the time. The Mitsubishi one didn't sell many. I had two Leafs, my favourite cars.

ACtC-3ffBiEHfNmM1aYyjGSN3Qo2ci66KhuULSZk

ACtC-3cUvI_IxkmlnHnqtgiKylAF5j8e8gu_qeYF

ACtC-3exNyKYz4clqLLfb-B-04FmPot_l8cf3O_G

ACtC-3dKZBDoCHReEZ09oUFiyZUuc4-_dbqRL4UC

Behind Aeon Lake Town there is the lake. What a beautiful place to live.

The shopping mall itself is huge. LaLa Port used to claim to be the biggest in Asia or something but this must give it a run for its money. It's split into three sections, one of which is purely outlets and the others which are a mix. Some of the restaurants are fantastic.

Hmm, maybe I should say something about mall restaurants in Japan. They are often top notch. Normally the top floor or two of malls or even just big shops like Yodobashi Camera or Marui department stores are restaurants. It works really well, you went to the shop expecting to spend money and another thousand yen or two on a lovely meal is hard to say no to. There is always a good selection too, various styles of food, at least one selling alcohol.

I kinda wish I had some photos of one, but I'm a bit too self conscious to take them...

• Like 5

Mojo, loving your pictures, nice shots of interesting scenes and details that help keep the modeling wheels turning!

thanks!

jeff

• Like 2