Jaco3011

Tenshodo T-Evolution - worth buying?

Jaco3011

Tenshodo made KuMoYa 145 and KuMoRu 145 + KuRu 144 and I'm thinking of buying either, but I'm not sure how will it work on 12mm track. There are no ready-made TT/H0m wheelsets large enough (10,5mm in diameter), and I would have to somehow build customised driving mechanism.

Maybe I should work on some tracks to ride it on first...

Kiha66

You could always get it and enjoy it on HO track, and could convert it later.  As the mechanism clips on it may be possible to convert the tenshoto powerset to TT, but I'm not sure. 

al camino

The BEMO 1266 1## electric cars of RhB ABe 4/4 II (Bernina) have a wheel diameter of 10.57mm which is close to 10.5 and a wheel distance of 25.25mm instead of 26.

It depends on you if you could accept the deviation.

The KUMORU145 will be a little challanging on how to place the motor to have one bogie motorized.

IMGP6141.JPG

Edited by al camino

Welshbloke

Very much worth buying! The only snag is patchy availability of the Tomix couplers you need to run them in multiple.

The trailer axles would be fairly easy to adapt, as they use the kit bogie sideframes with brass pinpoint bearings and the addition of a few screws to hold them together, you'd just need some 12mm gauge 10mm diameter wheelsets. Does anyone offer something like the SPUD for 12mm gauge?

Jaco3011
7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

SPUD

SPUD? I don't mind

13 hours ago, al camino said:

The BEMO 1266 1## electric cars of RhB ABe 4/4 II (Bernina) have a wheel diameter of 10.57mm which is close to 10.5 and a wheel distance of 25.25mm instead of 26.

It depends on you if you could accept the deviation.

The KUMORU145 will be a little challanging on how to place the motor to have one bogie motorized.

I checked the price... that's an expensive part. Still thinking how should I built the drivetrain.

al camino
10 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

I checked the price... that's an expensive part. Still thinking how should I built the drivetrain.

I know they're expensive. Maybe you can find an optical worn one on ebay or such. Housing and all is not important but the frame and the 2 trucks. Even the outer truck frames could be broken. All these characterisitcs could make a BEMO more than affordable. As you told you have to prepare some road bed before you have a lot of time for searching.

Drivetrain in KUMOYA is no problem as its a full box design.

For KUMORU I dont yet have an idea exept to place some larger load covering the motor.

And - BTW - yes the T-Evolution are worth buying.

The alternative of my KUMORU145&KURU144 had been brass before. Far beyond my budget (even that I spend quite a lot into model railroading).

Edited by al camino
drivetrain amended

Welshbloke

Tenshodo marketed earlier versions of the power bogie for the T-Evolution range as the SPUD, or Self Propelled Universal Drive.

al camino
20 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Tenshodo marketed earlier versions of the power bogie for the T-Evolution range as the SPUD, or Self Propelled Universal Drive.

I know them but never noticed a TT or H0m version. Maybe I missed this because I had no need.

What has US market to offer? NWSL has alot of drivetrain stuff. Did they have some SPUD (H0n3 or such)?

I remember to have seen this in an old Walthers catalog. But cannot remember the brand. Maybe it had been Tenshodo 😉 

Welshbloke

I think HO is as narrow as they get. The casing couldn't be much narrower and still have space for the motor.

Did wonder if there were any N or HOe mechanisms which could be regauged? The Tenshodo units aren't heavy and should roll freely.

Jaco3011
20 hours ago, al camino said:

I know them but never noticed a TT or H0m version. Maybe I missed this because I had no need.

What has US market to offer? NWSL has alot of drivetrain stuff. Did they have some SPUD (H0n3 or such)?

I remember to have seen this in an old Walthers catalog. But cannot remember the brand. Maybe it had been Tenshodo 😉 

NWSL doesn't have TT/H0m stuff.

I'm also thinking about lighting, how to connect it etc. I want to make it DCC-ready.

marknewton
21 hours ago, al camino said:

Tenshodo SPUDs have only ever been made for 16.5mm gauge. NWSL's equivalent to the SPUD was the PDT drive. They were also only available in 16.5mm gauge. 

Cheers,

Mark.