Japan's Longest Fumi-kiri (Railroad crossing)?

JR 500系

Putting my new found knowledge of Fumi-kiri (thanks to MeTheSwed here), here's Japan's longest Railroad crossing, with 2 Keikyu lines and a total of 10 JR Lines!!!! 

And it is opened ONLY 3 times in an hour and for 18 seconds for the shortest and 41 seconds the longest!!!! 

Now who will use THAT crossing? No one can clear 10 tracks in 18 seconds unless they ran really fast.... Guess the bridge is more utilized this way...

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 5
roadstar_na6
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Now who will use THAT crossing? No one can clear 10 tracks in 18 seconds unless they ran really fast

You‘d need to cover around 20m (no idea how much space is between the tracks) in that time I‘d say, for easier calculations let‘s say 18m. That means you‘d need to cover 1m per second to make it which would be 3.6km/h which is ca. walking speed. So it should be doable if your launch off the green light is good 😄

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

You‘d need to cover around 20m (no idea how much space is between the tracks) in that time I‘d say, for easier calculations let‘s say 18m. That means you‘d need to cover 1m per second to make it which would be 3.6km/h which is ca. walking speed. So it should be doable if your launch off the green light is good 😄

The crossing in question is this one, located between JR Tsurumi and Keikyu Kagetsu-Soji Stations.

It's actually a combination of two independent crossing, the one on the Keikyu Main Line, wich is about 13m long (from gate to gate) and the one on the JR East lines, wich is a whopping 43m between gates. The two crossings are separated by about 9,5m of "no-man railway zone".

In total, the whole crossing (from gate to gate) is about 66 meters long. I'd say you'll need a little bit more than walking speed if you want to celar it in 18 seconds... 😅

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1
roadstar_na6

@Socimi, true that. I didn‘t look at the video tbh and just assumed the rails would all be next to each other 😄

A fast runner would make it tho and I guess 2 or 3 cars should also be able to pass through. But yeah, it‘s kinda stupid to even open it in the first place really. Why not either make the section between rails accessible or just build a god damn bridge 😄

On 1/4/2021 at 7:49 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

@Socimi, true that. I didn‘t look at the video tbh and just assumed the rails would all be next to each other 😄

A fast runner would make it tho and I guess 2 or 3 cars should also be able to pass through. But yeah, it‘s kinda stupid to even open it in the first place really. Why not either make the section between rails accessible or just build a god damn bridge 😄

I don't know how exactly how that crossing came to be, but the next one up the line towards Tsurumi station (an 11-track crossing) was closed and replaced by an underpass in 2014.

As i see from google earth, there's already an overpass near the Kagetsu-Soji crossing, and given that it appears to be a pedestrian-only one, it might very well be possible that it'll be closed in the next years...

Edited by Socimi
12 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

And it is opened ONLY 3 times in an hour and for 18 seconds for the shortest and 41 seconds the longest!!!! 

But 3 times an hour is not bad.

If you are in Osaka you may have to wait 40 minutes before crossing.

A mere 8 tracks to cross here, but still enough to allow you to spot some trains. 😊