Model a Japanese castle retaining wall

jskirwin

Hi. I need to model a Japanese castle retaining wall for my Japanese layout. The wall doesn’t have to be hyper-realistic (I’m using mostly Kato track and structures) but it needs to look acceptable. I’m using foam with some plaster and joint compound.

I saw a technique where a guy used gasoline to etch the foam, but my testing found it makes a mess. I’m trying to figure out a way to use an ink wash on the foam that colors the lines between cells and leaves them white, but so far nothing has worked.

All ideas are appreciated. And a big あけましておめでとう to everyone.

• Like 1

Lots of folks do stone walls using the foam meat trays and use a burnisher to draw in the lines between rocks then paint rock and do the wash to set off the joints, detail the rock coloring on the surface, and then weather. Many videos on YouTube.

to pick up on Toc’s post here is a diy texture rollers

cheers

jeff

If you have access to a 3D printer there's this texture stamp on thingiverse. I'm sure there are others if you look around. Haven't tried it yet but I'm in the same situation as you looking for realistic rock faces that aren't too much work.

• Like 1

Unlike the woody Joe castle foundation walls where you have a bag of like 1000 little irregular shaped chips you have to fit together into a rock wall mosaic... that’s going to be fun! 

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the mesh one looks to have some good patterns for the various modern cement retaining and anti landslide walls

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-rolling-pins/515-rolling-pin-mesh.html?search_query=rolling+pins&results=83

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-rolling-pins/132-Rolling-Pin-Hobby-Roller-Hexagons-Infinity-Bases.html?search_query=rolling+pins&results=83

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-rolling-pins/133-Rolling-Pin-Hobby-Roller-triplehexagons-triplehex-Infinity-Bases.html

unfortunately, none of the green stuff rollers have that sort of random tapeziodal pattern you see no a lot of the castle foundation walls. Usually pretty tight fitting as well.

jeff

For my retaining walls and platform facings I make them out of the thin foam that's used for food packaging trays and simply draw the stone pattern onto it with a felt-tip pen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

EDIT: I posted this before I saw the video that Tossedman posted. Unlike that "youtuber" I don't have a problem with drawing a pattern to represent stonework or similar. I think this method gives more control over the final result, and avoids repeating the pattern, which would be very obvious for some types of stonework. 

(I do have a problem with a lot of these modelling videos where the presenters come across to me as smug and rather annoying, but that's a topic for a separate thread...)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5